Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 647
  1. #321
    Forum Member DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    So if they didn't donate, would that change their opinions?
    Not necessarily, but when your own media outlets show a political bias in your political monetary donations and the public finds out, don't be shocked when people are suspiscious of a slant in your reporting - and go elsewhere for their news.

    Hence the declining readership in newspapers and declining viewership of news programs- being based in part on perceived biases.

    Just do yoru damned job - inform the public with the truth, not your version of the truth.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org


  2. #322
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsin925 View Post
    you know everytime you buy a bottle of something, a motorcycle, a chair, so on and so forth, someone had to design the bottle, the motorcycle, the chair, and most likely that person went to art school and majored in industrial design, therefore having a degree in fine arts.

    and why use liberal in such a pejorative sense? are you liberal about nothing? do believe in premarital sex, which is a liberal idea?
    Yes, but there are millions of unemployed actors, artist, and the like. Not so with other professions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsin925
    you seem to think i care what you think about me.
    Nope, not at all. It's just a function of how you present your self and who comes off sounding and looking more intelligent.

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1066 View Post
    ...
    Quote:
    "corporations get welfare, which is a form of socialism."

    And I dare you to find one post where I say that's OK. Corporations should thrive of fail on their own. Period. ...
    I would say in a prefect world this would be true. However, American businesses must compete with foreign companies. We are in direct competition with countries like China, where the people work for the state and the state controls everything. Next, we tax our businesses plus we add additional costs through higher wages, environmental regulations, safety regulations, etc. In order to keep jobs here we need to subsidize these corporations.

    The problem is that we try to steer policy with grants and subsidies. The proper approach would be to cut taxes, and also cut spending

  4. #324
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    So if they didn't donate, would that change their opinions?
    I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny or if you really don't see the connection?

    The donations merely give us insight into what their beliefs are, as most won't openly come out and tell you what they believe.

    I kind of like that idea, how about each journalist be open about their bias?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I should have addressed the post better. I was only addressing the Patriot Act, but in looking back I wasn't clear about that. You have to cut me some slack though, my quarterback was just dealt to the Jets. My entire sports world has been turned upside down in the past several months.

    Yes!!! And in the process, the Jets will go from Pretender to contender.

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsin925 View Post
    i think favre is being a hypocrite. he talked so much trash about sterling sharpe, now look at what he's doing. that's why i only truly follow boxing and mma.
    That explains a lot right there. They are right up there with horse racing and the WWF. In all cases, they know who the winner will be before they eve start the contest. I find it interesting that one would get such pleasure from watching two people beat themselves to a pulp, yet has a problem with 2 nations doing the same. Although in the case of the Iraq war, it is like Tyson vs. Poindexter. I would think you would get great and satisfying joy from watching the US pummel the infidels.

  7. #327
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsin925 View Post
    here are articles to refute yours, but you'll dismiss them as nutball.

    http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle18836.htm

    http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle18727.htm

    http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle19762.htm

    http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle18838.htm

    i bet you won't read them because you are not open to information that doesn't fit your paradigm.
    A word to the wise here - Don't use sources equivalent to the National Enquirer when propping up your arguments. Try to use reputable sources.

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You don't actually believe the markup on a gallon of gas reflects their total profit...do you? Oil companies are vertically integrated. They are able to hide profits and costs at numerous places between the extraction of oil out of the groung and the pump where you put it into your car.

    The poor things are only getting by with 8%. I'm sure they'll be having to put recaps on the G5.
    Ideally, the markup on a product is around 50%. Profits of only 8% are really low. What is interesting is that oil companies are diversifying into green energy. Now they get subsidies for that as well.

  9. #329
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    A word to the wise here - Don't use sources equivalent to the National Enquirer when propping up your arguments. Try to use reputable sources.
    I dunno,they broke a story about John Edwards dipping his wick where he shouldn't have been and that story turns out to have actually happened.
    Judging from his girlfriend's remarks about his wife,there's a story that going to end up on Jerry Springer:
    Jerry:"Now,let's meet John's girlfriend."
    Crowd"Jerry,Jerry,Jerry......"
    Rielle:"You sonuvabitch!You said you'd love me forever!When are you going to leave HER!"

  10. #330
    the 4-1-4 Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Yes!!! And in the process, the Jets will go from Pretender to contender.

    You know, that may very well be the case. Obviously I have been watching this entire soap opera in depth.
    If Brett stays healthy, he may play another 3-5 years, and play at a level close to his MVP years.

    I'm not sure exactly what it is, but Favre looked different in the press conferences after the trade. He looked revitalized, enthusiastic, excited, something we hadn't seen a whole lot out of him here the past couple of seasons, in hind sight.

    I always thought the Jets were a decent team. In the 2006 season, they came into Lambeau and destroyed a Packers team that was getting to be decent.

    It is still very tough to see Brett in a different uniform. In a lot of ways this was an unprecedented move in the NFL, at least in the modern era. Many of us think that Favre is still near the top of his game. He is still able to avoid the rush, keep his balance, direct an offense, and he still has that cannon in his right arm. I never thought he should have retired in the first place.

    My fear in all of this is that the Packers are going to crumble this season. I think that not because of Favre leaving, but because of what caused him to leave. What the heck is going on up there? What kind of dysfunction is in that locker room now?

    In any case, I hope Favre has a decent season, and made the right choice. If you're a Jets fan, you have to remember that Favre has to be taken with a grain of salt; he'll give you those four and five touchdown games, and then have three INT's that make you shake your head.

    Sorry for the side-track again. I can't help it!
    Last edited by jasper45; 08-11-2008 at 12:22 PM.

  11. #331
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    You know, that may very well be the case. Obviously I have been watching this entire soap opera in depth.
    If Brett stays healthy, he may play another 3-5 years, and play at a level close to his MVP years.

    I'm not sure exactly what it is, but Favre looked different in the press conferences after the trade. He looked revitalized, enthusiastic, excited, something we hadn't seen a whole lot out of him here the past couple of seasons, in hind sight.

    I always thought the Jets were a decent team. In the 2006 season, they came into Lambeau and destroyed a Packers team that was getting to be decent.

    It is still very tough to see Brett in a different uniform. In a lot of ways this was an unprecedented move in the NFL, at least in the modern era. Many of us think that Favre is still near the top of his game. He is still able to avoid the rush, keep his balance, direct an offense, and he still has that cannon in his right arm. I never thought he should have retired in the first place.

    My fear in all of this is that the Packers are going to crumble this season. I think that not because of Favre leaving, but because of what caused him to leave. What the heck is going on up there? What kind of dysfunction is in that locker room now?

    In any case, I hope Favre has a decent season, and made the right choice. If you're a Jets fan, you have to remember that Favre has to be taken with a grain of salt; he'll give you those four and five touchdown games, and then have three INT's that make you shake your head.

    Sorry for the side-track again. I can't help it!
    THe only solace you can take is that Brian Brohm is the real deal. Give him two years and he will be your guy.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  12. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    You know, that may very well be the case. Obviously I have been watching this entire soap opera in depth.
    If Brett stays healthy, he may play another 3-5 years, and play at a level close to his MVP years.

    I'm not sure exactly what it is, but Favre looked different in the press conferences after the trade. He looked revitalized, enthusiastic, excited, something we hadn't seen a whole lot out of him here the past couple of seasons, in hind sight.

    I always thought the Jets were a decent team. In the 2006 season, they came into Lambeau and destroyed a Packers team that was getting to be decent.

    It is still very tough to see Brett in a different uniform. In a lot of ways this was an unprecedented move in the NFL, at least in the modern era. Many of us think that Favre is still near the top of his game. He is still able to avoid the rush, keep his balance, direct an offense, and he still has that cannon in his right arm. I never thought he should have retired in the first place.

    My fear in all of this is that the Packers are going to crumble this season. I think that not because of Favre leaving, but because of what caused him to leave. What the heck is going on up there? What kind of dysfunction is in that locker room now?

    In any case, I hope Favre has a decent season, and made the right choice. If you're a Jets fan, you have to remember that Favre has to be taken with a grain of salt; he'll give you those four and five touchdown games, and then have three INT's that make you shake your head.

    Sorry for the side-track again. I can't help it!
    I don't think Farve is done. And the reason I think he will make a huge difference for the Jets is that Pennington couldn't through a pass more than 15 yards. So the defenses just crowded the line of scrimmage killing the running game. Receivers couldn't get open because they didn't respect the long ball. Off season the Jets worked to improve the running game. They have good receivers. This bonus acquisition at this late stage will certainly help.

    On the flip side. I think there was more bad blood behind the scenes that we never saw. Wouldn't it be nice if some of the folks on here (where are you VollyGuy?) would have done the same.

  13. #333
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I dunno,they broke a story about John Edwards dipping his wick where he shouldn't have been and that story turns out to have actually happened.
    Judging from his girlfriend's remarks about his wife,there's a story that going to end up on Jerry Springer:
    Jerry:"Now,let's meet John's girlfriend."
    Crowd"Jerry,Jerry,Jerry......"
    Rielle:"You sonuvabitch!You said you'd love me forever!When are you going to leave HER!"
    LMAO!!! This is true. I read a story on CNN that said the mainstream ignored it because they can't trust the Enquirer as a reliable source. Fellow said something like a 50-50 split. I guess it is the boy who cried wolf syndrome. Or as I like to say, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

  14. #334
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Hence the declining readership in newspapers and declining viewership of news programs- being based in part on perceived biases.
    We have both conservative and liberal newspapers in the LA and OC areas. Both are circling the drain. I won't miss the OC rag. They are on a jihad against all public servants. Especially fire and police. The usual overpaid and underworked BS.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  15. #335
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    Can someone paint a logical connection how this trivial Brett Farve (sic) orgy and Nancy Pelosi have to do with each other?



    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  16. #336
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
    Can someone paint a logical connection how this trivial Brett Farve (sic) orgy and Nancy Pelosi have to do with each other?



    Sure. There was a rumor on CNN that Brett was seen sneaking out the back door after visiting her hotel room in DC.

    (That picture ought to make you all want to gouge your eyes out).
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  17. #337
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Sure. There was a rumor on CNN that Brett was seen sneaking out the back door after visiting her hotel room in DC.

    (That picture ought to make you all want to gouge your eyes out).

    Gee Thanks. I was trying to get something to eat when I read that!!!

  18. #338
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
    Can someone paint a logical connection how this trivial Brett Farve (sic) orgy and Nancy Pelosi have to do with each other?



    This thing has been off topic for quite a while and now you think you need to point it out?

  19. #339
    the 4-1-4 Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    There is always some self-appointed forum cop, isn't there.

    I fully acknowledged that it was off-topic and I was a part of it. Quit taking yourself so seriously, please.
    It went off-topic on or around page two, just like every thread.

    Really, what's the big deal? I usually just don't read the posts I don't want to read.

  20. #340
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    This thing has been off topic for quite a while and now you think you need to point it out?
    If not me who?
    How constructive is it to start a thread about solid versus fog, only to have it end up in a CPR first versus Defib first argument?

    If you want to talk about professional athletes, either find an existing thread, or start a new one. If you need help, The Sports Exchange is found here.

    And here's a little guide for you in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    There is always some self-appointed forum cop, isn't there.

    I fully acknowledged that it was off-topic and I was a part of it. Quit taking yourself so seriously, please.
    It went off-topic on or around page two, just like every thread.

    Really, what's the big deal? I usually just don't read the posts I don't want to read.
    So why don't we start discussing the Caylee Anthony saga here as well? Or start asking who's to blame in the Russia/Georgia ordeal?

    And since you've already found a NFL thread, and posted in it, you should move your discussion over there.
    Last edited by txgp17; 08-11-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FF safety/chicken BBQs
    By princessAJ in forum U.S. States
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 12:57 PM
  2. Chicken Fry on Saturday 6-24
    By rustyknobbs in forum Illinois
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 08:19 AM
  3. Subservient Chicken
    By EMTSteve in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 02:22 PM
  4. Keithsburg FD Fish & Chicken Fry
    By emtbecka in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 09:13 AM
  5. August Fire Scenario #2: BBQ Chicken Anyone?
    By Dalmation90 in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-08-1999, 10:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts