MembersZone Subscriber

Default More oil is not the answer!

Actually, the “simple fact” is more oil is the solution. Private and government estimates all agree oil will make up 75% to 80% of our energy needs for the next 50 years at least. To refuse to drill for the 136 billion barrels we have available borders on criminal. More oil means lower prices. If we can get oil down to $80 a barrel or so it will work like a huge tax cut, especially for the poor who’ve been hit hardest by the Democrats’ failed energy policies. Lower oil prices will stimulate the economy, weaken inflation and make us and our allies around the world more secure. Reid’s poisonous words do nothing to move the country forward.

But they do give voters an idea of what’s to come if Democrats keep
    Congress and win the White House.

I don't disagree with the statement made that the so called govt and industry gurus think that more oil is the answer. I do disagree with the validity of these remarks. If someone found an "Elephant Play" now, it could be brought online relatively cheaply and quickly, all the damn public would do is crank up their thermostats in winter, get the Escalade or Navigator out of the garage and go right back to their normal habits. Plain and simple, the answer is alternative energy sources. Wind, Solar, Hydro will answer a fraction of this, but AT THIS POINT IN TIME only nuclear will provide any real alternative. Make a focus in this election on cutting back on fossil fuels and finding a viable alternative. North America went down this road once and learned absolutely SFA. Now maybe somebody will think twice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Gutless response.
    Pointless answer.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Plain and simple, the answer is alternative energy sources. Wind, Solar, Hydro will answer a fraction of this, but AT THIS POINT IN TIME only nuclear will provide any real alternative
    I've asked this before, and maybe you have a possible answer. What do we do with the half-spent fuel rods once we get all the energy we can out of them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more alternative energy ideas, including nuclear. What I'm not for is finding another mountain to bury spent nuclear fuel rods for 10,000 years while they decompose. Our efficiency in nuclear energy has a lot to be desired in my book.

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch22 Its definitely the biggest problem in regards nuclear power. A possible solution is to drill through the earths outer crust and inject them down into the magma. It is something thats being studied now in Europe. It may not be the answer, but if money is spent in finding solutions rather than on bloody tax breaks, incentives, stupid senseless wars, political correctness, a solution could be found.
    I think the US is uniquely positioned to be a leader here as in the past you guys have proven that you do have the ability to solve problems if the reason is serious enough. E.g. Materials in WW2, Manhatten Project, Eradication of smallpox and malaria, although the latter you had a lot of international help
    BTW, our efficiency in energy conservation and lifestyles leave a fair bit to be desired too.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I've asked this before, and maybe you have a possible answer. What do we do with the half-spent fuel rods once we get all the energy we can out of them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more alternative energy ideas, including nuclear. What I'm not for is finding another mountain to bury spent nuclear fuel rods for 10,000 years while they decompose. Our efficiency in nuclear energy has a lot to be desired in my book.

Back In Black

Didn't read it all the way through... don't know how reliable the source is.

It's a bit off topic, so i'll just post the link.

http://www.chemcases.com/nuclear/nc-13.htm
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting link Chief. Like I've said in several posts, a solution can be found if we get off our butts and decide to quit relying on 100 million year old dinosaur sh*t to power our lives

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Didn't read it all the way through... don't know how reliable the source is.

It's a bit off topic, so i'll just post the link.

http://www.chemcases.com/nuclear/nc-13.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting link Chief. Like I've said in several posts, a solution can be found if we get off our butts and decide to quit relying on 100 million year old dinosaur sh*t to power our lives
    I thought it was interesting (and possibly promising), as well. At least it's a start, it's just getting us (and our politicans) off our butts, like you say.

MembersZone Subscriber

Canada sures owes a huge segment of their economy to dinosaur dung, huh?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You'll have to ask Sarah Palin. She's the only one whose managed to a pass windfall profits tax on oil.
    It wasn't a windfall profits tax. It was a $1,200 credit because of the windfall profits Alaska made off of the high price of oil.

Sarah Palin

In response to high oil and gas prices, and the resulting state government budget surplus, Palin proposed giving Alaskans $100-a-month energy debit cards. She also proposed providing grants to electrical utilities so that they would reduce customers' rates.[62] She subsequently dropped the debit card proposal, and in its place she proposed to send each Alaskan $1,200 from the windfall surplus resulting from high oil prices.[63]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    It wasn't a windfall profits tax. It was a $1,200 credit because of the windfall profits Alaska made off of the high price of oil.

Sarah Palin
    That is in addition to the revenues her constituents received from the Oil Savings Acct.

Rationalize it all you want, but it is a tax by any other name.

MembersZone Subscriber

That we do, absolutely no question, but its finite and some people here are realising that there is an end. We are looking now into constructing nuclear power stations in both Alberta and Saskatchewan which are the 2 main oil and gas producers. Probably quite a ways off yet, but its a start.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Canada sures owes a huge segment of their economy to dinosaur dung, huh?

Banned

That is in addition to the revenues her constituents received from the Oil Savings Acct.

Rationalize it all you want, but it is a tax by any other name.
    It's not a rationalization It's a fact

http://www.earthrights.net/docs/oilrent.html

The Alaska state constitution claims common heritage rights of ownership of oil and other minerals for the people of the state as a whole. Citizen dividend checks are distributed every year in Alaska out of the interest payments to an oil royalties deposit account called the Alaska Permanent Fund (APF) created in 1976 after oil was discovered on the North Slope. The APF is a public trust fund - a diversified stock, bond and real estate portfolio - into which are deposited the oil royalties received from the corporations which extract the oil from the lands of Alaska. The first citizen dividend check from the interest of the APF was issued in 1982 and was for $1000 per every person for everyone in Alaska who had resided in the state for at least one year. Annual citizen dividends have been issued every year since then, for a total of more than $23,000 per person.

Alaska relies on oil for about 80 percent of its revenue and has no sales or income tax. Alaska state government is mandated to invest 25% of its oil revenue into the APF while the other 75% of oil royalty revenue is dispersed to other government funds to finance education, infrastructure and social services. If 100% of Alaska's oil royalties had been deposited into the APF, it is conceivable that the CD this year could have been about $4,400 or $17,600 for a family of four. But then there would have been no funds for roads, education and other public services and no funds available to run the state legislature - a libertarian dream fulfillment or a social and economic disaster, which one we will never know. If state services were to have been maintained while 100% of oil royalties were deposited in the APF, there would of course have been the need for income, sales and other taxes on wages and production.
    So when World oil prices went up, Alaska benefited. That should be easy for even a liberal to figure out. THERE WAS NO TAX ON WINDFALL PROFITS.

Forum Member

It's not a rationalization It's a fact

http://www.earthrights.net/docs/oilrent.html
    Still a tax. Just a different name.

So when World oil prices went up, Alaska benefited. That should be easy for even a liberal to figure out. THERE WAS NO TAX ON WINDFALL PROFITS.
    Then what was it?

Forum Member

Then what was it?
    Not necessarily a tax. If the State, it dont matter what State, had a plan in place to use its budget surplus to assist the people that's not necessarily a tax. If the prices went up, and revenues from oil coming into the state treasury also increased that's not a Windfall Profits tax. That's just simple economics. Look at your own budget. If you make more money. You will also in turn pay in more in Income taxes. Is that saying the regular increase in your income taxes because you got a raise is a Windfall Profits tax?
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Banned

Then what was it?
    It's not a tax. The stat of Alaska sells it 's oil rights to the oil companies. Just like you sell your services to your employer. Just like the farmer sells his goods. In this case, the state gets paid to let the oil companies take the oil.

Forum Member

It's not a tax. The stat of Alaska sells it 's oil rights to the oil companies. Just like you sell your services to your employer. Just like the farmer sells his goods. In this case, the state gets paid to let the oil companies take the oil.
    It's not so easy to explain how sometimes it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck but is indeed an armadillo
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know if some of you guys realize this or not, but Alaska does have a windfall profits tax and in fact, citizens of Alaska recieved a $1,200 check on top of their normal $2,000 check for oil sales.

It is a tax, and yes, the citizens of Alaska are recieving money from it to offset the rising fuel costs.

MembersZone Subscriber

That we do, absolutely no question, but its finite and some people here are realising that there is an end. We are looking now into constructing nuclear power stations in both Alberta and Saskatchewan which are the 2 main oil and gas producers. Probably quite a ways off yet, but its a start.
    Nuclear power has been priven time and time again to be incredibly safe and incredibly economical. It will probably be the way we will have to go to keep the lid on the price of electricity.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

George we agree on so many things. Now let's expand our thinking a little. We need more nuclear. We need wind power. We need solar. We need oil from shale. We had better get our butts in gear and drill like there's no tomorrow. If there's a creek with water flowing through it we better throw up a hydroelectric dam. Our leaders need to start thinking outside their damn wallets and do something to secure our prices and energy independence.

Forum Member

I don't know if some of you guys realize this or not, but Alaska does have a windfall profits tax and in fact, citizens of Alaska recieved a $1,200 check on top of their normal $2,000 check for oil sales.

It is a tax, and yes, the citizens of Alaska are recieving money from it to offset the rising fuel costs.
    Shhh....don't confuse these folks with facts.

Forum Member

Wishing doesn't make it so. And who do the oil companies pass that expense that is involved in giving the state of Alaska their cut?

Forum Member

Shhh....don't confuse these folks with facts.
    Look. Sarcasm will get you nowhere. There are many things to which not all American people do not have all the information. There are items which unless you are looking for a reason to attack those you disagree with that not everybody is truly read up on. My uneducated, backwoods, rural Mississippi opinion is simple it does not matter. Nobody went on record and put it in the news media that the State of Alaska is getting extra money from the oil companies whether from a windfall profits tax or through their own oil revenue program. Barack Obama did go on record. Did make a televised speech where he offered up a punitive Windfall profits tax to oil companies. I hate to tell you but if you put more taxes on ANY industry that industry will raise prices to the consumer and their profits will stay right where they are or get even higher.

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    Barack Obama did go on record. Did make a televised speech where he offered up a punitive Windfall profits tax to oil companies.
    Great. More words, another speech, another promise...but what has he DONE?

People keep asking what the fella has done and all that greets them is: silence; deep, brooding, empty....silence.

The silence is deafening concerning Obama's record on accomplishments.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raughammer1 View Post
    Great. More words, another speech, another promise...but what has he DONE?

People keep asking what the fella has done and all that greets them is: silence; deep, brooding, empty....silence.

The silence is deafening concerning Obama's record on accomplishments.
    I really wish you would have not butchered my post to make a point. but you are correct Ol Barry ain't done nothin. The Democrats on Larry King tonight can call him a reformer, a leader, They can even call him Messiah. but the fact of the matter is he in and of himself has done nothing. On this thread we probably have more substantial political accomplishments than the man who our news media has already ordained the next President and possibly 1st king of the United States.

Banned

So if I have an electrical generating facility and I sell the electricity that is a tax?

Thread Information