Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Nuclear power has been priven time and time again to be incredibly safe and incredibly economical. It will probably be the way we will have to go to keep the lid on the price of electricity.
    I think until there is some better alternative we need to invest in more wind power. The problem with wind power is people like the Kennedy's are opposed to it, unless we put it someone elses backyard. Nuclear is OK, but getting rid of the spent fuel is a real problem. Wouldn't it be nice if they came up with a way to use the spent fuel to make electricity as well? The other option with great potential is hydro. But once again, the enviros are opposed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Wishing doesn't make it so. And who do the oil companies pass that expense that is involved in giving the state of Alaska their cut?
    Who do the Canadians, Mexicans, Venezuelans, Saudis all pass the cost on to? Is that a tax as well? How about the folks who sell hydro electric? Is that a tax?

You keep grasping at straws. Remember, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    So if I have an electrical generating facility and I sell the electricity that is a tax?
    What?

Look man, like it or not Alaska has a windfall profits tax, it's in black and white, it's seperate from their oil sales, and it's making the State of Alaska some pretty good money. Good enough money for the citizens to recieve a check. Every citizen an equal amount, as opposed to this citizen X amount, that citizen Y amount, because one owns a 9,000 sq. ft. home and the other a 1,200.

Personally, I don't think what Alaska is raking in is making that huge of an impact on the price of gas (if any), as the majority of our oil is coming from somewhere in the middle east.

But that doesn't change the fact that there is a windfall profits tax.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    What?

Look man, like it or not Alaska has a windfall profits tax, it's in black and white, it's seperate from their oil sales, and it's making the State of Alaska some pretty good money. Good enough money for the citizens to recieve a check. Every citizen an equal amount, as opposed to this citizen X amount, that citizen Y amount, because one owns a 9,000 sq. ft. home and the other a 1,200.

Personally, I don't think what Alaska is raking in is making that huge of an impact on the price of gas (if any), as the majority of our oil is coming from somewhere in the middle east.

But that doesn't change the fact that there is a windfall profits tax.
    If it's in black and white and I am not doubting you. You sound convinced. but if it is in black and white post a link to the bill or to a press release. maybe that will solve the whole dispute
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    If it's in black and white and I am not doubting you. You sound convinced. but if it is in black and white post a link to the bill or to a press release. maybe that will solve the whole dispute
    Here you go.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...askatax07.html
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe this is the bill she signed. The story is right on the Governors official website.

Forum Member

I believe this is the bill she signed. The story is right on the Governors official website.
    Fair enough. I guess with this information in hand you are correct. But, huge but, does it mean a damn thing in the grand scheme. The tax imposed by Alaska probably did not have a significant effect on the price of gas since most of our oil and gas comes from overseas or from the Gulf of Mexico. Now search your soul. If, the largest 2 letter word in the English Language, a similar or greater tax was imposed by the Federal Government on all oil and gas production what would the effect on working class America be? Sen Obama has gone on record many times screaming from every mountain top he can scream from about putting a windfall profits tax on all oil companies. Does that sound like a solution to rising fuel costs or just another way for the Federal Government to garner funds to spend on whatever they spend it on
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

MembersZone Subscriber

Fair enough. I guess with this information in hand you are correct. But, huge but, does it mean a damn thing in the grand scheme. The tax imposed by Alaska probably did not have a significant effect on the price of gas since most of our oil and gas comes from overseas or from the Gulf of Mexico. Now search your soul. If, the largest 2 letter word in the English Language, a similar or greater tax was imposed by the Federal Government on all oil and gas production what would the effect on working class America be? Sen Obama has gone on record many times screaming from every mountain top he can scream from about putting a windfall profits tax on all oil companies. Does that sound like a solution to rising fuel costs or just another way for the Federal Government to garner funds to spend on whatever they spend it on
    I won't argue with you. Alaska is an anomoly in the fact that it produces more oil than it consumes and that it considers it's natural resources to belong to the citizens as opposed to the property owner. It's also my understanding that this bill also eliminated the state's $0.08/gallon fuel tax, which is saving Alaskans even more. Also, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I've read somewhere that Alaska has no state-level income or sales taxes.

As I stated before, I don't think Alaska's tax is having much, if any impact on the price of oil. If we got most of our oil from there, I could believe it. But at the same time, I doubt we'd be paying $100/bbl. Regardless, it's a state issue and apparently the citizens of Alaska are pleased, going by the approval rating that hovers around 90%.

As far as I'm concerned, the Federal gov't has no business increasing any tax until congress learns to control their spending. Alaska has proven to be frugal under Palin, and I would hope she would bring that to the executive branch of the federal gov't.

Forum Member

and on that we can all agree

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oil costs in US

I'm not sure how ownership of natural resources works in the US, but in Canada, the Provinces, and by extension, the people of the Provinces own all the natural resources of those Provinces. This includes oil and gas, timber, water, minerals etc. The province sells licenses on crown owned land to oil companies which gives them the right to explore and drill for oil and gas. If they find it, they then pay the Province a royalty or percentage based on what the oil companies sell their product for. This is about 25% but varies a lot depending on many factors. The royalty rate was just raised last year and was subject of quite a bit of moaning from oil companies, but its back to business as usual. If oil or gas is on privately owned land, some people who own the land receive the royalties, in most however, the oil companies only pay a yearly fee to the land owner for use of the surface of the land. The govt gets the royalty.
    Alberta has a pretty strong economy and overall, the resource money is managed fairly well. 25% of all income is invested into the Heritage Savings Trust Fund, which is set aside for times when oil runs out. The balance goes into yearly operating revenues and funds day to day operations as well as capital projects such as roads, schools, hospitals and other infrastructure. The Federal govt receives a slice of this as well in equalisation payments in which rich or "have" Provinces put in a share of their revenue which are in turn given out to "have not" Provinces. Here, one of the biggest budegetary costs is Healthcare as all Canada has Universal Health care which I realise the US doesn't. Its quite a valuable benefit to the everyday people.
    Its not perfect but it works not bad, maybe because we have a history of not electing lawyers as out leaders in Alberta. The present one is a farmer, the last one was a newscaster.

Forum Member

President Carter tried the windfall profits tax back in the 70's and it was a complete disaster. What came of it? Long lines, gas shortages, price increase (although not enormous) and rationing. I remember it very well.

Banned

Just because one liberal paper gets it wrong doesn't make it a tax. Alaska sells their oil just like many of other nations do. ANd no Alaska is not a nation, they are just run like one.

Banned

Finally, A reliable link. Although it isn't a windfall tax, just the standard tax

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireLt1951 View Post
    President Carter tried the windfall profits tax back in the 70's and it was a complete disaster. What came of it? Long lines, gas shortages, price increase (although not enormous) and rationing. I remember it very well.
    I remember our VOl. FD lining up ni the dark at like 0200 in order to get gas from a benevolent gas stationowner in order not to attract huge lines of other people. I don't want to go back there again.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I remember our VOl. FD lining up ni the dark at like 0200 in order to get gas from a benevolent gas stationowner in order not to attract huge lines of other people. I don't want to go back there again.
    Yes, I remember our department doing that as well. Helped that his son was our LT at the time.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Who do the Canadians, Mexicans, Venezuelans, Saudis all pass the cost on to? Is that a tax as well? How about the folks who sell hydro electric? Is that a tax?
    It is for those citizens.

You keep grasping at straws. Remember, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    Not grasping at anything other than your inability to comprehend. I doubt you even own a clock so I wouldn't use that analogy.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Talking cant help myself sometimes

Not grasping at anything other than your inability to comprehend. I doubt you even own a clock so I wouldn't use that analogy.
    Can't we all just get along. There is no need in attacking the intelligence of anyone here. I bet he does own a clock. and in about a half hour or so the little bird will come out and make noise

Banned

Can't we all just get along. There is no need in attacking the intelligence of anyone here. I bet he does own a clock. and in about a half hour or so the little bird will come out and make noise
    Yup I do have one of those clocks, instead of saying cuckoo it says liberal. There just isn't any difference

Besides, attacking ones intelligence is what people who have no valid argument do.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 09-05-2008 at 02:31 AM.

Banned

Still having trouble with complete thoughts and sentences I see.

But if one sells the commodity they own to the world it isn't a tax. For instance. The Bureau of Reclamation owns and operates the electrical generation facilities at Hoover Dam. This electricity is sold to the residents of Arizona, Nevada, and California. Is this a tax a swell. After all, if Alaskans selling thier oil is a tax then the U.S. selling it's electricity must also be a tax.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Congress is back in session after its August recess, and debating energy is top priority. House Democrats will propose an energy bill that will include an expansion of offshore drilling, the item that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-OPEC) once regarded as a nonstarter to energy legislation. The bill will also include a “use it or lose it” provision to encourage oil companies to use the drilling leases they already have or return them to the public. Other provisions call for government oil-lease royalties to be invested in alternative energy technology and for tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. However, lest readers think Democrats are caving, the bill would retain the ban on offshore drilling within 50 miles of the coast if a state enacts such legislation or 100 miles if not, effectively keeping 18 billion barrels of oil and natural gas off limits. The bill would also rescind tax breaks for “Big Oil” and require oil companies to pay additional royalties for the privilege of drilling. That money would then be redistributed for renewable energy development.

A bill has been introduced in the House to repeal the District of Columbia’s ability to write its own gun laws, in deference to the recent Supreme Court ruling that found the District’s gun laws unconstitutional. According to The Washington Post, the bill would “repeal the D.C. ban on semiautomatic pistols and rifles; eliminate the city’s gun registration requirements; allow D.C. residents to purchase firearms in Virginia and Maryland; and abolish the regulation that guns at home be unloaded and safeguarded.” The Democrat leadership hoped to avoid handing the Republicans such a resounding legislative victory this close to the election, but at least 48 Demos support the new law because they represent districts that favor Second Amendment rights.

The Democrats have decided to abandon another vote on expanding the Children’s Health Insurance Program before the congressional recess. President Bush twice vetoed the bill because it would have added families to the tax-funded program who were quite capable of funding their own children’s health insurance. Democrats realized that they still do not have enough votes to override a veto, and there is not enough time to muster a fight this close to the recess. They plan to expand the program next year with what they expect to be an enlarged majority.
    ----------------
    From my email box.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raughammer1 View Post
    Congress is back in session after its August recess, and debating energy is top priority. House Democrats will propose an energy bill that will include an expansion of offshore drilling, the item that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-OPEC) once regarded as a nonstarter to energy legislation. The bill will also include a “use it or lose it” provision to encourage oil companies to use the drilling leases they already have or return them to the public. Other provisions call for government oil-lease royalties to be invested in alternative energy technology and for tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. However, lest readers think Democrats are caving, the bill would retain the ban on offshore drilling within 50 miles of the coast if a state enacts such legislation or 100 miles if not, effectively keeping 18 billion barrels of oil and natural gas off limits. The bill would also rescind tax breaks for “Big Oil” and require oil companies to pay additional royalties for the privilege of drilling. That money would then be redistributed for renewable energy development.

A bill has been introduced in the House to repeal the District of Columbia’s ability to write its own gun laws, in deference to the recent Supreme Court ruling that found the District’s gun laws unconstitutional. According to The Washington Post, the bill would “repeal the D.C. ban on semiautomatic pistols and rifles; eliminate the city’s gun registration requirements; allow D.C. residents to purchase firearms in Virginia and Maryland; and abolish the regulation that guns at home be unloaded and safeguarded.” The Democrat leadership hoped to avoid handing the Republicans such a resounding legislative victory this close to the election, but at least 48 Demos support the new law because they represent districts that favor Second Amendment rights.

The Democrats have decided to abandon another vote on expanding the Children’s Health Insurance Program before the congressional recess. President Bush twice vetoed the bill because it would have added families to the tax-funded program who were quite capable of funding their own children’s health insurance. Democrats realized that they still do not have enough votes to override a veto, and there is not enough time to muster a fight this close to the recess. They plan to expand the program next year with what they expect to be an enlarged majority.
    ----------------
    From my email box.
    And they plan to get all this through before their next vacation. Gotta love our Congress. Finally off the thumbs in time for a vacation and then the election

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    The Bush policies over the last seven years have led directly to the situation we're in now, along with a Republican controlled congress.
    Just wondering what kind of excuses the liberals can conjure up to pardon President Downgrade and the Democrats from any responsibility for the present price of fuel, that has doubled since President Zero was sworn into office.
    Last edited by txgp17; 09-22-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

Thread Information