Thread: Training Ideas

Forum Member

Smile Training Ideas

I am the head explorer advisor for the Troy Township Fire explorers in wood county ohio. I am new to this I was looking for some training ideas. What I am looking for is some fun things that you may have done or seen. We have about 8 kids on the roster right now and we are looking to provide them with a Outstanding experance so any ideas would help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Apparatus staging set up/ apparatus familiarity.
    Search and rescue.
    RIT.
    CPR Cert.
    SCBA usage.
    Basic car extrication ideas.
    Department policies.
    Radio protocol/ local language (aka. Engine 1 from command versus command to Engine 1).
    Donning gear/ timed gear donning.
    Truck/Engine company duties when arriving on scene.
    Obstacle course.
    Overhaul ideas.
    Wall breech.
    Tool recognition and usage.

That's just the beginning!
    Last edited by madparmedc; 08-07-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Forum Member

Your first training, before ANYTHING must be live fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by perry7118 View Post
    I am the head explorer advisor for the Troy Township Fire explorers in wood county ohio. I am new to this I was looking for some training ideas. What I am looking for is some fun things that you may have done or seen. We have about 8 kids on the roster right now and we are looking to provide them with a Outstanding experance so any ideas would help.
    WHOA!!!!!!!!!

All ya had to do was let us Rossford guys know you were looking for some information about explorer training and we would have been glad to help!

shoot me an email at jhoffman358@yahoo.com and I will be glad to help you. We would even be glad to have your whole post come up for a joint drill.

Jake Hoffman
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Do You think you might want to train on the basic things 1st. It is kind of hard to work on the upper level skills if you dont have the base skills, as they support them.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Inventory! become familiar with all the trucks, learn the call signs, signals, codes, Learn all the simple things so that when you become a probie you'll look good and be able to really help out.

Forum Member

Default Start with small stuff

each week you guys should be familarizing your selves with all the equipment on the trucks, and checking the equipment, scba's, fans, scene lights, generators, etc. then work towards operating fans, hooking up to hydrants, stretching dry lines and wet lines as well setting up ladders and taking down ladders.
    just remember small stuff to big stuff, take your time especially with familiarity with the tools. Stay safe while training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Your first training, before ANYTHING must be live fire.
    WOW!!! SLOW DOWN!!!!

Live fire???? If your state allows live fire it should only be AFTER SCBA's are 2nd nature, you have gear that you are confortable in, you know the equipment and have been in the program for a while!!!!
    And after that, I still don't recommend it- Fire fighters get hurt all the time doing live burns, and they trained to higher standards then explorers.

Forum Member

Default more ideas

Quote Originally Posted by madparmedc View Post
    Apparatus staging set up/ apparatus familiarity.
    Search and rescue.
    RIT.
    CPR Cert.
    SCBA usage.
    Basic car extrication ideas.
    Department policies.
    Radio protocol/ local language (aka. Engine 1 from command versus command to Engine 1).
    Donning gear/ timed gear donning.
    Truck/Engine company duties when arriving on scene.
    Obstacle course.
    Overhaul ideas.
    Wall breech.
    Tool recognition and usage.

That's just the beginning!
    As a active member of my local explorer post let me say that as long as you mix things up and dont do the same things over and over then you can really have some fun. but you really should cover the basics first like your standard SOP or SOG. from their then you should do SCBA or tools even once they are fimiliar with them practice search and rescue. the possibilitys are endless.
    Quint 320 Yeah

Forum Member

Thanks for all the input. Trust me as being the leader they will not be doing live fire. I want to start them basicly off with the 36 hour fire fighter course so that they get all the basics.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fitzjr11 View Post
    WOW!!! SLOW DOWN!!!!

Live fire???? If your state allows live fire it should only be AFTER SCBA's are 2nd nature, you have gear that you are confortable in, you know the equipment and have been in the program for a while!!!!
    And after that, I still don't recommend it- Fire fighters get hurt all the time doing live burns, and they trained to higher standards then explorers.
    Take a deep deep breath................................ok let it out.

He's just stirring the pot. No need to get your panties all in a bundle.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

I like milk...

My post has looked into a live fire for us explorers. But that idea went out the window just because the amount of red tape we would have to cut through. Plus Risk Management probably would not even think about allowing it. We are still working on getting a truck company to come down so we can learn about extraction and high angle rescue.

Forum Member

you would be surprised how many explorers think they should do live burns- and that's all- cause that is where they will "learn the most"

Forum Member

Actually... I'm not surprised.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

there will be no live fire in my explorer post. However I will have my explorers ready to do there 36hour and go to live fire when they turn 18.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Actually... I'm not surprised.
    Kyle,

This is exactly why I do more lurking on here than anything else anymore and why I rarely evn come on here anymore.

Forum Member

Default take it one step at a time

As i said earlier start small and gradually get more intense training, i tell every new junior member in my fire dept to at least wait 6 months and get more monthly drill training and weekly drill training under their belt before taking the junior fire 1 course at the county fire academy which has live burns for the last week of classes. Learning is what is most important at this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Kyle,

This is exactly why I do more lurking on here than anything else anymore and why I rarely evn come on here anymore.
    Same here. But I'm not doing a whole lot of lurking anymore. I'm on here maybe twice a week, if that.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Thread Information