MembersZone Subscriber

Default Psychological Test for Denver

I have my psych test on Friday for Denver FD and wondering if anyone has any tips. What should I expect? How should I prepare? any info would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Forum Member

My brother has gone through the psych for DPD Reserves. He said it was the MMPI, and to just answer honestly, usually the first answer that comes to mind. I've got a psych exam tomorrow with a department local to me, and thats what I'm going to do. I have no reason to try and cheat or lie...I have nothing to hide.

Forum Member

Default You have to pass the psych test first time out!

You have to pass the psych test first time out!

The following is from a previous article from the career articles section of Firehouse.com here: http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/...me-Out/8$51941

What’s included in the psych test? There is a written test that sets up a profile of you. Then, there is an evaluation by a psychologist.

Written Test: The most common written portion of the psychological evaluation is the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory interview test of up to 1000 questions. The aim here is not to pass the test but to go into the job fully prepared. Put your pride and natural defensiveness aside. They ask a few questions in several different ways. You want to answer questions “strongly for” or “strongly against” instead of being in the middle undecided. Answer questions to present yourself as a more social, interactive, team playing type of person, i.e., you would rather be in a conversation with others than reading a book alone.

The Evaluation: This is where the wheels start coming off the wagon for too many candidates.

Before the interview, the psychologist will often have you take a separate personality test, fill out a personal family history, a biography and additional information forms.

The biggest error candidates make during the psychological evaluation is thinking there is a patient/doctor confidentiality even when the doctor has them sign a release that there is not. This is not your family doctor. Guess who’s paying the bill?

What gets candidates in trouble here is they want this job so bad that they will say and do almost anything even when they’re not even asked. They get chatty and think this doc is their friend.

So what should you do?

Only answer the question you’re being asked. Before you volunteer information, think before you speak. If they want to know more they will ask. Don’t appear to be closed but warm and cordial. Present your ideas clearly. Don’t ramble or chat. Be articulate. This is how you’re going to be in the field. Believe it or not this is part of the job interview. You are making an impression of who you are going to be as a firefighter.

Make sure you dress up and don’t slouch. Be prepared to audition for the part of being a firefighter. Know your strong points. Be prepared to demonstrate you are a team player.

This from a new firefighter:

I want to comment on your psych test information and report. I had to take one for two departments. I tried to answer the questions as honestly as I could, while presenting myself as a very positive social person. Some of the "experts" out there say that you should be brutally honest on the test. Well 3 good guys I know did just that, and they did not pass either test. We lost 10 out of 25 guys on one test! I feel that is a very dangerous test, and some of the advice these people are giving out is costing great candidates a job. Steve.

This from an in service firefighter: During the last hiring process 2 years ago the psychologist passed 10 people. Of those 10, 2 have quit, 2 have been fired, and 1 committed suicide. I wonder if he is worth what the city pays him to evaluate prospects? Have a nice weekend.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

WARNING! WARNING!

I want to comment on your psych test information and report. I had to take one for two departments. I tried to answer the questions as honestly as I could, while presenting myself as a very positive social person. Some of the "experts" out there say that you should be brutally honest on the test. Well 3 good guys I know did just that, and they did not pass either test. We lost 10 out of 25 guys on one test! I feel that is a very dangerous test, and some of the advice these people are giving out is costing great candidates a job. Steve.
    ADVERTISING AGAIN BOBBY??

Look guy, don't buy into his poor advice.

Be prepared to audition for the part of being a firefighter.
    So what he is saying is act like you think they want you to instead of being honest.

If you have any integrity, and I'm not saying you don't, just be open and honest. Do you think the Doc can't tell when he is being BS'd???
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber

The honesty thing rears its ugly head again. This comment infers that by answering the questions honestly, you will not pass the test. I would completely disregard any advice that cap'n bobby gives you because of the fact that he has a pattern of telling people that getting the job is more important than telling the truth. Honesty and integrity are far more important qualities in a FF than cap'n bobby will ever admit. That's because his material is aimed at marginal candidates who probably don't have any business being on the job in the first place. His spawn actually admitted that in an email blast awhile back.

As for the psych test. It is an important part of the testing process. In some respects it is the most important because in many FD's it is the last thing you are sent for before you are hired.

I have taken and passed two psych tests for employment purposes. Both times I was completely honest.

I will give cap'n bobby credit for being correct when he states to only answer the question and not to think that this is YOUR doctor. He is being paid to report back in great detail how you did. Answer each question completely and do not try to fake it. Telling the doctor what you think he wants to hear is as bad as lying.

On some psych tests you may be asked to draw pictures, such as a tree, your house, etc. Draw these pictures with as much detail as possible. For the tree, put leaves on it and grass below it. For your house, put curtains on the windows, grass on the lawn and smoke coming from the chimney. For people, draw ni detail with hair and clothes and hands and a full face. The doctor will interpret these drawings, as silly as that sounds.

Good luck. You'll do fine.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have all the cpat stuff in and the proctors will be ready. We took the proctor class last week. We all did it in 107 degree heat. The "official" temp needs to be under 94 degrees. The psych is the standard type. 150 questions, a lot repeat themselves. Show up , relax, be mostly honest and you should do fine. Any other questions?

RB

This is the same reply i used on another question

Thread Information