Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Department Has The "Best" Benefit Package?

Hey all,

First time poster so I hope I put this in the right forum. I know this question is a bit loaded but let me explain what I'm looking for. I'm the process of considering going full time as a firefighter somewhere in the country. Problem is I'm looking for 3 very specific things before I consider a department.

-20 year retirement plan
    -Population of at LEAST 60,000 or larger
    -Have fire academy (so I can get emt certified)
    -seasonal weather, (ideally would like to have all 4 seasons)

The reason I asked which department is considered to have the best beneift package is b/c I went to Raleigh, NC earlier this year, only to find out that you have to work 30 years before you get full benefits. Now that may be fine and dandy for some but i got to thinking, "why would I want to move somwhere where I have to work 10 years longer to get benefits when I can stay in my home state and receive the same benefits?" I'm currently on a volunteer department and I was talking to a neighboring department and we got to discussing our benefit package. I was blown away with their retirement package. AFter they put in 20 years, they currently receive $1900 each month before tax for rest of the their life and it goes up every year, so it adjusts accordingly. The one big catch is you have to do all 20 years or you get NOTHING. Now for those who have settled in their house and plan to do it barring accidents, that's an awesome plan. So this is what got me to thinking about full time departments. Which ones meet my criteria b/c I'm sure some departments are great but like Raleigh, the idea of having to put in 30 years before getting full retirement kinda takes the wind out of my sail, especially knowing I can stay in my home state and do only 20.

so for all the firefighters on here, can I get some input? Sure it'd be nice to have all of my wants but I'm realistic to realize that it may not exist. I'm wondering if Denver might have this or perhaps Boston?

If this has all been covered before, I apologize.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ?

This may not be an answer, but I think your goals are set a little high. I have my FFI / II and EMT-P and all the extras and I am testing everywhere and will take the first job that I can get. It isnt like it has been in the past, these jobs are harder to come by each day. I think you should get all your education in and test everywhere. If you want to leave one on place for the next that is fine, but beggers cant be choosers. I am from MI and there are very few FDS that have the 20 and out rule and we will see that option going away very shortly with the diming economy and harder times. Also are you from MI (i.e.4 seasons) because 90% of the FDS wont even let you test until you have FF and EMT-P. Hope that helped..

Forum Member

montgomery county, MD has a 20 year plan

Fairfax, VA has a 25

Forum Member

Montgomery County is 50% after 20 years. No minimum age.

Is there any department that has %70+ at 20 years? Never heard of that.
    Last edited by Firemedic515; 08-06-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Forum Member

The military is the only place I know of that has a 20-year retirement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by porkrinds13 View Post
    the idea of having to put in 30 years before getting full retirement kinda takes the wind out of my sail, especially knowing I can stay in my home state and do only 20.

Yea, god forbid you actually have to work 30 years to get a retirement package better than most in the private sector.

Your whole post has one huge assumption, that you can actually get the job. Fire jobs are tough to get, can't really imagine it getting easier in this slumping economy.

Many departments in CA have 3% @ 50. That equates to 60% at 20 years. But you must be at least 50 before you start collecting.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

San Antonio - 80% after 21 years.

My advice is don't be too picky...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lukequintin View Post
    San Antonio - 80% after 21 years.

My advice is don't be too picky...
    That's impressive. Is there a minimum age to collect?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515 View Post
    That's impressive. Is there a minimum age to collect?
    Not sure about that. If you retire after 31 years, you get 87.5%.

Forum Member

Default Phoenix

PFD has some great Bennies:
    BENEFITS
    Health/dental insurance –
    Life insurance -
    Longevity Pay
    15 vacation days/year
    15 sick leave days/year
    11 Paid holidays/year
    Tuition Reimbursement Program – Take a class get reimbursed for tuition and fees
    Uniform Allowance – We have our uniform store and you are given $625 annually to spend.

Deferred compensation – City contributes 6% of your salary per year
    Drop Program -

Public Safety Retirement – Retire at 20 years get 50% Retire at 32 years get 80% of your annual salary every year for the rest of your life.

OTHER GREAT BENEFITS
    Gyms at every fire station
    Annual Physical
    Schedule – 24 hours on 48 hours off.
    Be part of the Phoenix Firefighters Union Local 493
    Shift trades. Work for someone on a different shift then you can bank that time so you have a free shift off in the future.
    Overtime Opportunities – Every day there are overtime opportunities.
    Friends Helping Friends
    Health Center
    Nutritionist

Plus the Drop program is freaking unreal.. collect retirement /and/ pay five years before you get out.. pay off all yer debt and live like a king when you actually do get out.
    Not to mention you get to work for one of the best Fire Departments in the world.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    PFD has some great Bennies:
    BENEFITS
    Health/dental insurance –
    Life insurance -
    Longevity Pay
    15 vacation days/year
    15 sick leave days/year
    11 Paid holidays/year
    Tuition Reimbursement Program – Take a class get reimbursed for tuition and fees
    Uniform Allowance – We have our uniform store and you are given $625 annually to spend.

Deferred compensation – City contributes 6% of your salary per year
    Drop Program -

Public Safety Retirement – Retire at 20 years get 50% Retire at 32 years get 80% of your annual salary every year for the rest of your life.

OTHER GREAT BENEFITS
    Gyms at every fire station
    Annual Physical
    Schedule – 24 hours on 48 hours off.
    Be part of the Phoenix Firefighters Union Local 493
    Shift trades. Work for someone on a different shift then you can bank that time so you have a free shift off in the future.
    Overtime Opportunities – Every day there are overtime opportunities.
    Friends Helping Friends
    Health Center
    Nutritionist

Plus the Drop program is freaking unreal.. collect retirement /and/ pay five years before you get out.. pay off all yer debt and live like a king when you actually do get out.
    Not to mention you get to work for one of the best Fire Departments in the world.

Pretty nice package. Almost identical to what we have in Montgomery County, MD Local 1664.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lukequintin View Post
    Not sure about that. If you retire after 31 years, you get 87.5%.
    That might be the highest % I've heard about. I'm guessing most people get out a 21 and take 80% (depending on the minimum age). You'd have to work 10 more years to get 7.5% more.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 20 and out

Not sure what your hometown is since I didn't see where you mention it, but, a lot of Kentucky departments have 20 year pension systems. Your retirement salary is based on 50% of your highest 3 years average pay, that is 2.5%/year with full retirement benefits after 20. So you can retire after 20 years with no minimum age...this is based on dept's that use KRS (KY retirement system). So, if you want to work 25 years, you would draw 62.5% of your high three years based on the 2.5%/year. Health insurance is funded by this system too after 20 years. I can only speak for the department I work for and those surrounding me in the metro Louisville area, but you get 2-4 weeks vacation/year avg, health insurance benefits/costs vary from dept. to dept, and you can do shift trades. Louisville has a population around 700K, Lexington around 280K, Owensboro around 55K.

Forum Member

Ours in Arkansas with LOPFI is 85% of final avg. pay... Time is 28 years and retire at any age (Have to wait until 55 to collect or you take big hit on your percent figure) or 20 years and age 55... Or age 60 and 5 years... Also have a 5 year drop...

Final avg. pay is figure by the highest 3 years of pay within 10 year period then use the following 2.7% X FAP X Years of Paid Service...

Might give Texas a try next... I know one B/C on Texas side of texarkana he said he has 32 plus years in and he's around 110% of pay... Fire dept is his life and he'll be there until run him off...

Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

Boy, your post sure sounds selfish. It's all about me. I want...........

Do me a favor and don't apply at my department.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by porkrinds13 View Post
    I'm looking for 3 very specific things before I consider a department.

-20 year retirement plan
    -Population of at LEAST 60,000 or larger
    -Have fire academy (so I can get emt certified)
    -seasonal weather, (ideally would like to have all 4 seasons)

so for all the firefighters on here, can I get some input? Sure it'd be nice to have all of my wants but I'm realistic to realize that it may not exist.
    I think it's good you're doing your research. I understand sometime you must take the first job you're offered, but often times that leads to a FF either 1) leaving the first department for a better one once they know what they want or 2) staying at their first department and being miserable. No one on this board can tell me that either of those don't happen because I work for that "better" department that has a lot of new hires coming from the first department that offered them a job.

I can speak for the only 2 places I worked for, San Angelo and Fort Worth, TX.

SAFD - full academy: fire, all EMT up to paramedic. No college or cert requirements. Texas Chapter 143 civil service (ie. job security, standard promotional system), IAFF Local 886. Retirement after 20 years of service and reaching age of 49yo. DROP program. Vested after 10 years. A good private pension. City buys back accrued leave time upon retirement/resignation. Deferred comp and cafeteria plan offered through the city. City population ~100,000, 8 stations, 150 FFs. 24 hour shifts.
    Drawbacks: Ambulance. Pay somewhat lower than other cities of comparable size in the region (Abilene, Midland, Odessa). No 4 seasons - in most of Texas it's usually cold/cool or warm/hot. And even that varies some. 3 man minimum crews.

FWFD - full academy: fire, EMT only. No college or cert requirements. Texas Chapter 143 civil service, IAFF Local 440. Retirement when your age and years of service = 80 (eg. 30 years on at 50 years old). DROP program. Good private pension. City buys back accrued leave time upon retirement/resignation. Deferred comp and cafeteria plan offered through the city. It's the 17th largest city in the US, with about 700,000 people. No one realizes this because we're shadowed by Dallas. 40 stations with more being planned, 4 man crews, 900+ FFs.

That's just a summary. Check out the respective cities' websites for more info.

Forum Member

Well I have been testing, volunteering, going to school, and trying to get on a department for over a year now and I can honestly say I haven't once asked the question you did. Maybe it's because I live in CA and most departments have good bennies anyway but still...you're worried about retiring after 20? You're in for a shell shock once you actually start pursuing this career!

Your post sounds like you think Firefighting is an easy way towards early retirement. That mindset will get you nowhere in attaining a badge. Start with the basics. Again "Beggars can't be choosers."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Boy, your post sure sounds selfish. It's all about me. I want...........

Do me a favor and don't apply at my department.

Are you kidding me? This guys is just trying to do some research.. i didn't get a selfish vibe from this question at all. The more informed you are the better in my opinion. And he should make informed decisions on what career he wants to pursue.. jeez
    I'm sure this will prompt George to run to your defense, but this is a strange reply from you. You are usually the more level headed of the advertisers on here. You can't get mad at a guy for trying to stay informed.

As a New York City Firefighter, you will receive an incredible benefits package and a competitive salary that more than doubles in your first five years on the job.

But act now, the chance to join only comes every four years.

Benefits include:

Lifelong medical coverage for you and your family;
    Growth opportunities;
    Flexible work schedules;
    Up to four weeks paid vacation per year;
    Pension after 20 years of service.

STARTING SALARY
    $36,400
    $4,090
    $40,490

AFTER 1 YEAR
    $38,194