Forum Member

Default city fire department in CA

I recieved my email and I am off to the interview. Anyways it says to only bring the materials requested and to NOT bring copies of your resume.

Stupid question, but does " do not bring your resume" mean don't attach it to your cert packet or does it mean do not bring them to the interview to pass out to the board?

I assume it means they do not want a resume at all and do not waste there time. They should have a copy of our resume already, as it was required when you applied online.

Thanks,

Kev
    Last edited by arff42; 08-13-2008 at 02:14 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like you answered your own question.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Sounds like you answered your own question.

But, is it the right answer?

Forum Member

I would translate that as, "don't bring a resume at all."

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default Arff

ARFF,
    how you doing? I was trying to get down to the Orange testing, but got shipped off to a fire for a couple of weeks. Nice working on wildland quals and all. The training BC called and gave me a heads up on some of their processes. The one thing he did mention was read the instructions carefully especially when it came interview time. Had a nice chat about my quals and education. Little disappointed in not going to test. That foot in the door feeling would be great. How's the Cal fire list going?

Jeff

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FortechFEO View Post
    ARFF,
    how you doing? I was trying to get down to the Orange testing, but got shipped off to a fire for a couple of weeks. Nice working on wildland quals and all. The training BC called and gave me a heads up on some of their processes. The one thing he did mention was read the instructions carefully especially when it came interview time. Had a nice chat about my quals and education. Little disappointed in not going to test. That foot in the door feeling would be great. How's the Cal fire list going?

Jeff
    I have heard different things about the list. Some say they are in band 6, others say band 8. I am in 11 so if they get to my name it's gonna be a while.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post
    I would translate that as, "don't bring a resume at all."

Good luck!
    I called HR and you are exactly right. I was hoping I could drop one off before the interview, but they said "no".

MembersZone Subscriber

Part of the hiring process is to determine who can follow instructions. Afterall, this is what we expect from our firefighters?

Someone who cannot follow instructions in the hiring process will ultimately be someone who has difficulty following instructions in the station, or on the fireground.

It seems that you have difficulty following instructions. Your best hope is that you did not identify yourself when you called the personnel department. If so, you have certainly established a name for yourself.

I have said it before and I will say it again; YOU ARE GRADED ON EVERYTHING.

I guarantee that those candidates who show with resumes will be graded down for NOT BEING ABLE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. This is just another step in the hiring process. While it may seem like a small thing, it's just another sign of how someone thinks.

We do an in-depth background check interviewing your employers and friends. These are the things we look for.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Part of the hiring process is to determine who can follow instructions. Afterall, this is what we expect from our firefighters?

Someone who cannot follow instructions in the hiring process will ultimately be someone who has difficulty following instructions in the station, or on the fireground.

It seems that you have difficulty following instructions. Your best hope is that you did not identify yourself when you called the personnel department. If so, you have certainly established a name for yourself.

I have said it before and I will say it again; YOU ARE GRADED ON EVERYTHING.

I guarantee that those candidates who show with resumes will be graded down for NOT BEING ABLE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. This is just another step in the hiring process. While it may seem like a small thing, it's just another sign of how someone thinks.

We do an in-depth background check interviewing your employers and friends. These are the things we look for.
    I was told that sometimes you can drop off a resume the day before the interview and have it placed in your file, but to call and ask first, so that is what I did. BTW, you were right, as there were candidates that did bring resumes with them. I think I am done with this one.

Stay safe,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

But you said that you already included it with your application.....I too am done with this thread. Good luck to you
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

But you said that you already included it with your application.....I too am done with this thread. Good luck to you
    True, but I saw some examples of resumes that I felt were better then mine. I was hoping to submit an updated one. I am done with this one and this time I really do mean in.

Stay safe and thanks,

Kev

Forum Member

The instructions for the interview is the first step for weeding out candidates. Sounds like you answered your own question.

Forum Member

Bottom line, I had a very nice interviewing experience and I did not bring my resume. Like every candidate, I can only hope for the best.

Good luck to everyone who is out there testing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck Kev. Orange is a great department.....
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Good luck Kev. Orange is a great department.....

Thank you so much and stay safe.

Kev

Thread Information