Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Forum Member

Default Any experience with Pierce PUC?

Our dept is seriously considering a PUC. I got a chance to see and drive a demo today. I was very impressed with the truck for the most part. However, there are a few things that concern me. When the truck is just idling and/or moving slowly, a distinct chatter can be heard. I was told today by the Pierce mechanic that this is normal for the PUC and that it was coming from the PTO. Does anybody know anything about this? Facts, not rumors, please.

Any other experience with a PUC?

MembersZone Subscriber

Search - PUC

There are several threads about the truck and it's "unique" power divider.

Let's talk fire trucks!

As neiowa said, there are several PUC threads on here, see if any of those help.

We're getting a PUC at work in about 4-5 weeks, I'll let you know my initial opinion when we get back from final inspection.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Our neighbors are getting theirs mid Sept if I remember right.I'll have more info then. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a puc. put it in high idle and the noise goes away.
    It is just going in service now, but it is a nice rig. Did you go to FDIC this year? Then you saw our rig. We sent it back to Pierce for a few modifications and there you have it a new rig for a not so new rig cost.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    We have a puc. put it in high idle and the noise goes away.
    It is just going in service now, but it is a nice rig. Did you go to FDIC this year? Then you saw our rig. We sent it back to Pierce for a few modifications and there you have it a new rig for a not so new rig cost.
    We don't have one, but I agree... I noticed the same thing.

The PTO is loud in idle. I still can't believe how much the GVWR is... 47,000lbs!

Has anyone else check their weight sticker for a 1000 gal. PUC?
    Last edited by CooterRob; 09-22-2008 at 01:32 AM.
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

MembersZone Subscriber

Just so you know the PUC is built by Darly good luck with that.
    nrz2334
    Just my view

I would rather push my Seagrave than drive your Pierce!!

TNT Rescue The Best!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nrz2334 View Post
    That is not possible Pierce is SOLE SOURCE they build everything just ask they'll tell you.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Only the PUMP is built by Darley, not the rest of the apparatus.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

You spelled Darley wrong... lol

It's nice piece of apparatus, but my avatar says whom I prefer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Darley pumps

I belive Seagrave also uses a pump built by Darley. We have 6 Darley pumps in our Dept. They range in size from 250 to 2000 gpm. They are great pumps.

Forum Member

We've got four(two "portables" and two midships) and our experience hasn't been as great as yours.If they work well for you,be happy. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Only the PUMP is built by Darley, not the rest of the apparatus.
    Is Pierce inventorying pump parts (On hand, in a Pierce warehouse) for the PUC?

Many stories in my area of weeks (to months) waiting on pump parts (in particular after failing pump test). Thought is that Darley has had many pump models and wear parts are built as ordered. Concensus that OK pump, that is perhaps a little less expensive that Hale/waterous, but the lack timely parts availability a nogo for many.
    Last edited by neiowa; 09-24-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Is Pierce inventorying pump parts (On hand, in a Pierce warehouse) for the PUC?

Many stories in my area of weeks (to months) waiting on pump parts (in particular after failing pump test). Thought is that Darley has had many pump models and wear parts are built as ordered. Concensus that OK pump, that is perhaps a little less expensive that Hale/waterous, but the lack timely parts availability a nogo for many.
    Darley normally ships all parts to us within one business day. Don't know why you guys are having problems but, it might not be Darley's fault. Their major, longtime customers include the U.S. Navy who is a stickler on parts availability too. They also have a huge presence in Asia.

This is not a Darley ad. My pump of choice is Waterous. However, I have met several of the Darley's, including Bill, and they are great people who run a professional outfit. My only complaint with their product has been the need to cut wrenches and weld them together at wild angles to get to the bolts on some of the older stuff.

Bad mouth them if you want but they have a lot of happy customers and have been around for a long, long time. If their stuff was crap and they couldn't supply parts, they would have been driven out of business by now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    I belive Seagrave also uses a pump built by Darley. We have 6 Darley pumps in our Dept. They range in size from 250 to 2000 gpm. They are great pumps.
    Yep the Seagrave Triton pump by Darley.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default retiredchiefone

What do you mean "Good Luck With That" Darley has been manufacturing pumps fo as long as Hale and Waterous. Could you relate any problems with the Darley pump that was not taken care of immediately and at a much lessor cost them the other two manufactures. Darley is a family operation with an impeccable reputation.

Forum Member

RCO,While I agree the Darley folks and pumps have been around a long time and have served many well,I disagree with one of your assessments.I'm under a gag order but if you wish to PM me I can offer my opinion.Initial parts cost may not be a true indicator of value.There are concerns regarding the PUC pump,many of which have been entertained here. Try a search. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    RCO,While I agree the Darley folks and pumps have been around a long time and have served many well,I disagree with one of your assessments.I'm under a gag order but if you wish to PM me I can offer my opinion.Initial parts cost may not be a true indicator of value.There are concerns regarding the PUC pump,many of which have been entertained here. Try a search. T.C.
    Regardless of any flaws the PUC may have, implying it is junk because Darley built it is quite a stretch.

Forum Member

Don't think I EVER said or implied it was junk.I believe you may want to query NRZ2334 on that.I SAID there HAVE been concerns with it that have already been discussed here by others in other threads. As I mentioned earlier because of an agreement I made with a certain fire pump company,I'm not at liberty to expand on the subject.We'll just leave it as MY experience with the product(not PUC)leaves something to be improved on. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-28-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Forum Member

Check with Leawood, Kansas Fire Department.

They just recently took delivery of a PUC.

Theirs PUC runs as Engine 31 out of their station 1.

I first laid eyes on it about a month ago on my way to work as it was being delivered to Conrad Fire in Olathe to be prepped for service.

I wish I had my camera with me that day.
    Last edited by MMFireBuff; 10-29-2008 at 12:06 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not adding fuel to the fire, but wasn't the concern with the PUC pump the way it was driven and the components that run off the engine PTO? Is this even a true Darley part?

I've got some friends in the repair business who say that Darley has been nothing but decent to work with, even helping get pumps working again from other pump builders who consider the units obsolete. This is a big deal with some of these small rural departments with a non-existant budget who need that "antique" rig to still be in service.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Evidently the problems arent too big Miami Dade keeps ordering PUCS left and right since they have came out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink relive this thread

We recently looked at a puc and really studied the design and how it works and found out that this the same design that commerical cement mixer trucks use. The overall design was unique but very well thought out. We have tried to stay with the traditional side/midmount pump panel but this will be seriously looked, I was waiting awhile to see it the design was going to be popular, and with as many orders as our pierce salesman is doing i am very impressed with the orders going in. Time will tell.

Forum Member

I'm interested to see how the concept works in the long run in a busy dept. We went with the mid ship side mount panel. May not be what's new and hip, but were interested what will work at 2 AM when Murphy is sitting on your shoulder.....

Forum Member

Default Puc

We was at the factory last week checking out our new PUC. There were a lot of them in different stages being built all around the factory.Weather permitting ours should be headed east this week.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information