Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber achief15's Avatar

Question 2 1/2 ton surplus M35A3 help

Do any of you know where I can get information about our surplus 1998 AM General 2 1/2 ton M35A3 6x6? I looked online, but everyone wants to sell the info. Is there a free resource out there? What grade oil goes in it? My state forestry rep doesn't seem to have what I need.
    Glenn Rainey
    Colington Fire Department
    Dare County, North Carolina
    The Outer Banks

You can run Delo 10-40 or any oil used for a diesel.
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Is that a multi-fuel Cummins engine?

I would start by contacting Cummins (or whatever the engine mfr is) and ask them the grade of oil that should be in it. When you call or email them, be sure to have the engine model and serial numbers to give them. Find that on a plate on the engine itself. The vehicle information will probably not be of help if you call the engine mfr. While you are on the phone with them, explain you are a volunteer fire dept (I assume you are???) and a non-profit organization, and see if you can con them out of a set of engine manuals, plus a build sheet for that specific engine (again you will need the serial number.)

Try the resources that want to sell the info. Again, explain that you are a non-profit VFD and are in need of the manuals for maintenance and care of a vehicle that is depended on for emergencies. Remind them that any donation is a tax write-off for them.

Try AM General. Same story. Sniffle and cry the "poor VFD" story. Have the information on the vehicle in hand.

If that doesnt work, contact an Army motor pool who runs those vehicles. See if they can help you, perhaps one of your members is a reservist who may know how to contact the right persons. It may take some doing and some time on the internet to research phone numbers, and perhaps a lot of "You need to call this person or this office....."

Try the United States Army TACOM (Tank and Automotive Command) I think they are still located in Michigan somewheres.

Also try the Aberdeen Test Center, at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Go to this website and you can find out anything you need to know about a military vehicle. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ Try searching thier manuals.

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Is that a multi-fuel Cummins engine?
    www.steelsoldiers.com is a very good info source. State NG motor sgt/officer good option. All the TMs are going to be available on CD and if you talk to the right guy (not a by the regs drone) you can get someone to dup for you.

M35A3 is CAT/Allison rebuild from 1998/99. Added a Central Tire Inf System (+ or - depending on your view). A lot of them now available in surplus system. Great choice for a wildland or light tanker.

M35-Series Extended Service Program (ESP)
    From 1994 to 1999, M35s (and other trucks of the M35/M44 series) were upgraded under the Extended Service Program (ESP). No new trucks were produced, rather existing trucks of the M35-series were completely disassembled and the parts inspected. Reusable parts were rebuilt as required. Trucks were then reassembled using a combination of new and rebuilt parts including completely new components and systems:

new Caterpillar 3116 diesel engine (meeting 1993 EPA emission standards)
    new Allison 1545 automatic transmission
    new cooling system, reworked axles and transfer case
    new electronically controlled central tire inflation system
    super single radial tires
    air-assist steering
    improved independent circuit air/hydraulic brake system
    three-point seat belts
    new ergonomically designed driver's seat
    electric windshield wipers and washer
    improved heater and defroster system

M35 cargo trucks remanufactured under the Extended Service Program were designated M35A3. Further production was terminated in FY1999, superseded by the FMTV: Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles. ESP was very successful. Overall, the remanufactured vehicles met 95 percent of the performance requirements at 60 percent of the cost of a new FMTV.
    Last edited by neiowa; 08-08-2008 at 10:19 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

If yuo haven't recieved the unit yet this won't help, but about all military trucks have information plates on the dash with all the information about the unit, tire pressure, oil, weight limits etc.

Quote Originally Posted by achief15 View Post
    Do any of you know where I can get information about our surplus 1998 AM General 2 1/2 ton M35A3 6x6? I looked online, but everyone wants to sell the info. Is there a free resource out there? What grade oil goes in it? My state forestry rep doesn't seem to have what I need.
    If you don't want to spend all day looking on the internet and you do not have the vehicle with the spec plate. You can always call Memphis Equipment co in Memphis TN. They stock and sell surplus Military 6x6's. Their number is (901) 774-0600.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Default for all your offroad truck needs

if i can ever be of assistance in answering any 6x6 military truck questions / needs/ specs, at no charge.. call or send me a note!! 770-445-0455 chris @ csi offroad

You can always try any local Gaurd or Reservist unit, They have wrech's that work on these truck.

Forum Member

My department obtained all the manuals for our M35A1 from the National Guard. All we had to do was ask. Wiring diagrams, schematics, etc.

As stated above, Memphis Equipment are the 'go-to' people on these trucks.

Forum Member

I would use 15w40 oil in it. I run Mobil in all of my diesels. Alot of over the road guys run shell. I wouldn't use anything lighter than that.

Thread Information