Forum Member

Question Running Board Hose Tray

We're specing a new engine and we have decided to put a hose tray for 25' of 5" in the running board on the drivers side(See Pic). My dept is in Wisconsin and I was wondering what type of issues there might be with having this option put on the truck (freezing hose, water/ice build up, etc. Also does anyone with this option have a cover put on to help keep water out? We have not talked with our rep yet so I'm not sure what types of features they offer to help protect the hose. Any feed back is helpful
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

My previous dept. was in Wisconsin and we had it on one engine. We had no problems what so ever. For a cover we had a vinyl tarp with snaps every few inches. I believe it had just a slightly elevated lip to keep water from running along the board and under the tarp. I'm pretty sure it was speced with the cover so manufacturers most likely offer it.

We also had a mat at the bottom of the tray, so that if for whatever reason water did get in and freeze the hose wouldn't be frozen in.
    Last edited by edge1317; 08-05-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Forum Member

Here's a photo of the pump panel area of our 2007 Toyne. It includes our hose tray. We elected to have ours "float," that is, it's just resting in there; it's not bolted down. That way, if we pass over anything that they (we have them on both sides) would bottom out on, they just get pushed up and come back down instead getting of bent up and bending other stuff up in the process. Note the beveled leading and trailing corners.

Soon after we got the truck we discovered another benefit - it's easier to repack if you lift it out and set it on the ground.

I cut and coupled short lengths to fit them. They're 33' long each. Usually enough to go around to the side of the truck away from the hydrant.

We have not had any issues with anything freezing so far. They do have drain hole at each low corner. But water does collect in the layers of the hose.

One thing I would do differently is to ensure that the inside width of the tray is about 1/4" more than the flattened width of the hose. Ours fits snugly, so I spray the sides with Pam or silicone before reloading.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 08-05-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Forum Member

The only complaints I have heard about them is the loss of a solid stepping surface. However, I am sure they still just step on the hose anyway.

There are builders who will recess the majority of the hosewell into the void area below the steamers. The only thing that might interfere with this that I can think of right now would be the builder's standard drain valve location. This option will save about 7" to 10" of runningboard and hold just as much hose. I have seen customers at shows that saw the recessed version and asked to have them added to their on-order unit.

Forum Member

Default Heat Shield?

If your specing a heat shield make sure that the hose carrier does not interfere with the removal of the bottom shield enclosure.

Forum Member

Thumbs up keep it floating

See the pics of our that hold two 25ft rolls of 5" and the opposite side holds the blitz-fire.

"keep them floating", so they can be removed or when bottomed out push up.

make sure you spec the size hose, brand extc and quantity you need to store.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've had these on our engines for 15 years and have never really had a problem with the hose in the trough freezing up, etc. We've right on the shore of Lake Erie and get 120+ of snow a year. It's nice not having a cover on it, we have it preconnected to the steamer connection on the pump so all you have to do is pull it off and hook to the hydrant. Drain holes are a must, I'm actually considering seeing if the builders on our new engine can make the bottom of expanded/perforated metal because water still likes to settle in the bottom and gets the bottom of the trough slimy. It's also going to be a floating trough. We've come real close a few times to ripping them off in some mild off pavement driving.

Forum Member

All our engine's and Quints have them... We carry 100' 1-3/4 for car and trash fire in the pass side and 25'-35' 5" in the drivers side... As was said "keep them floating" it will bend the he!! out of the top if bolted down... Also have good size drain holes 1/2 inch added to rear in the corners that will pass small rocks and stuff...

Jason

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Running Board hose

We started running 3" on the running board in 1974. Originally it was simply strapped in place or bungie corded. The Mack pictured here got an upgrade in 1999 with the hose trays. We have never had a problem with freezing, but occasionally find the slime problem with the trough arrangement. One of our newer rigs has the expanded screen in the bottom and this seems to help with the slime. The reason for the 3 X 2 1/2 Couplings is that we still have some 2 headed hydrants without steamer connections. The 25' section of 3" will get you about 900 gpm through a single lay with about 20 psi of loss. Pump operators take the intake down until the hose starts to get soft. Pretty hard to collapse hot water tanks when the hydrant is generally above 20 psi. at 900 gpm. Passenger side (PIX) is 25' of 5" with steamer to Storz for working on newer hydrants.
    Last edited by KuhShise; 08-06-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: attach file

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dr. side of Mack

3" x 2 1/2" couplings - 25' long and PC'd to the gated siamese. There is a second roll in the compartment and the Dr/ Op dresses the other side with a gate and then patches the second line in as needed.

Forum Member

Default Still another way to do it

If you are worried about loosing step area when you put a hose well in the runningboard here is another way of doing it.
    Last edited by tomwnh; 08-27-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Forum Member

Holy s**t,you learned how to use your digital camera,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Default Funny

Hey T.C.,

Yes I know how to use a digital camera. Don't know how to do all the wiz bang things you can do but enough to take and download a photo or two. I am even thinking about upgrading my phone to one of those button ones rather than the round dial one I have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's ours. 2007 KME

25' and 50' rolls of 4" Hose

100' 2 1/2" with 500 GPM Mercury Monitor

Both wells are the floating type, design "borrowed" CE11/Bryn Athyn's rig

Forum Member

Default Hose trays

Running board trays are handy. for everything to 5 inchs or a pair of 3" rolls for stand pipe connections, Or even a trash line.
    We have them on our 2 engines and our tanker, and in monroeville we jump over the center median strip on just about every call, becasue of this we speck ours to drop in or "float" as someone mentioned, Also we speck the 45 degree angle on the front and back of the tray in the event you strike something it will help deflect the blow and "Bounde" the tray up and over the obsitlce. Again this will only work with a floating try and angles.
    This way ther is less of a chance it gets all smashed up than if you had straigt square ends and the tray is Fixed in place.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Thread Information