Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Please give any advice

I'm 21 and I live in Gilbert Arizona. My dream is to become a firefighter in Rhode Island. What would be the best way to accomplish that dream? Any advice is MUCH appreciated. I plan on moving there this year in January.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most depts require EMT-Basic upon hiring; if you are NREMT-registered, RI may give you reciprocity, but I don't recall for sure. In addition, you will need to pass the state fire academy's agility test to be eligible for hire. Details can be found at http://www.fire-marshal.ri.gov/Downl...A_Oct_2008.pdf. The test is usually conducted twice a year and is good for 1 year. Some departments require EMT-Cardiac certification prior to hiring, and since this is a RI-specific EMT certification, it can only be done here.

That's all I can think of for now; start checking projo.com and department websites for hiring announcements and start applying!

Best of luck!

....as an aside, why RI?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm planning on getting my EMT-Basic certification this semester and then moving to RI sometime in January, then working, paying rent, and finding time to get to know some firefighters or visit stations in the area and start applying. I chose RI because I really enjoyed my last trip there. The people, the environment, and just general attitude were really attractive.

Thanks again for the help

Forum Member

hey emtjon....are you on middletown? I just took the tests and i amon the hiring list. Did they start taking off the list yet? I'm kinda high up on it and was wondering what my chances are of getting on. thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Ninjadave

When you get to RI go to cardiac school and volunteer somewhere, that will get you in the loop as far as whats going on (who's hiring etc...) as well as start you off with a good resume. Try to work for a good private ambulance company atleast part-time. I worked at Coastline before I got in and i can speak volumes for them. They get good runs and treat you like a part of the team, not a part of the hustle. Medcare is good as well but you might not learn as much. Stay away from Universal, New England and Medtec. You'll learn at medtec but most people say they are dicks there. I dont know much about Advanced or Alert or Accutran. Apply everywhere and talk to those who are in about how to interview. (Never say you want the job to "save lives and help people in need" Everyone knows its a bullcrap answer.) ofcoures there is some truth to it but theeeknow u want the job because its exciting, challenging rewarding and fun. So say so. All this worked for me. I got on in a year in a half on the best dept in the state. Good luck!! when u get here Pahk tha cah in the pahkin lot and grab a couple weenies all the way with a cawfee milk. You'll be a Rhode Islandah in no time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ninjadave

FirefighterRI is right. 1st thing to do is to sign up at Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI) in Warwick and take your EMT-Basic there. Chief Seltzer is the instructor, great teacher. Also it counts as 7 college credits. At that point you can go and sign on to a voly. dept. and be a driver, like Hope Jackson, Hopkins Hill, Bristol. They are all good dept.'s and welcome newbies. Then after you have finished basic and have some experience as a basic sign up for your Cardiac class. Now most dept.'s are now making recruits be EMT-C for hire but not for testing. So you can still take all the tests and get ranked but just remember that they will not hire you until you have a Cardiac license. Private ambulances is a good for background, but they are all slow right now and a lot of them are taking trucks off the road. Voly. somewhere, take your classes and TEST, TEST, TEST. It takes time, I started 14 months ago and I am a EMT-C and high on two lists, just waiting for the word. So good luck and we are here if you have questions.

Forum Member

Private ambulances is a good for background, but they are all slow right now and a lot of them are taking trucks off the road.
    I've been trying to figure that one out. Why are they ALL slow? Nobody I talk to seems to have any ideas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Again everybody, thanks a lot for these great replies they're really helpful.
    Hey FirefighterRI I miss that damn coffee milk haha its good stuff.
    P.S. Anybody have any suggestions as to where an affordable place to move would be? I'll probably be solo.
    Last edited by ninjadave12345; 08-22-2008 at 03:19 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default my 2 cents

I am not currently working for a private ambulance company. But I can tell you that from what at least a dozen people have told me that either their hours were cut or their truck was taking off the road. Now from what they are telling me it is because of two evils, 1) gas prices 2) insurance companies are not paying for the "I need a ride to my dr.'s appointment" excuse.

Now there could be more to it but I really think it is the economy in general.

Now as far as living in RI, stay away from Providence and any waterfront area and you should be fine as far as cost and crime.

MembersZone Subscriber

ok stay away from waterfront, got it ha thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Panic,

I am currently working in Middletown; we've hired 2 off the new list (I'm not sure if they were the top 2 or not, but I would assume they were), and we may be looking at 1 or 2 more in the coming months. Good luck!

Thread Information