Thread: hose load

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hose load

Kings Bay Fire Dept just recieved our new Quint. Any one out there figured out the best way to load 5 LDH on it and how much can you get on it

MembersZone Subscriber

Put all the couplings towards the front of the hose bed. You would need to measure from the front of the bed and mark it with tape to allow for the couplings.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Put all the couplings towards the front of the hose bed. You would need to measure from the front of the bed and mark it with tape to allow for the couplings.
    Also, don't put subsequent layers of hose on top of the couplings. Space the folds a foot or so behind the couplings. That will create "pockets" for the couplings in the next tier up. You'll maximize the space available in the bed that way.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    CAUTION! CAUTION!

Depending on the structural make-up of the hose bed itself, and how the hose ejects from the body, the "Front" hose load for large diameter hose MAY NOT WORK.

Do you have those "chutes" on each side of the aerial? This is where the front hose load will not work. Trust me. We proved it to our apparatus officer several times over a 2-month period, and usually at times ranging from 0100 to 0500. The "chute" is physically too small for the couplings to eject out of, if you pack the hose too tightly against it. In order for it to work, you have to bevel-pack the hose in a diagonal shape up and away from the chute. The drawback to this is (at least in our particular piece) that due to the diagonal packing, we lost 200 feet of hose, which for us, was a lot (we only had 1000 to begin with.) But said apparatus officer would not listen, made us pack it his way. Last time it happened, we woke up said apparatus officer at home at about 0330 to tell him what he could do with his hose load. By the orders of our captain, we loaded it in the traditional flat lay method from that point on. Next day a written order was issued by the Chief stating "load the damn hose flat lay." Damages ranged anywhere from torn hose, to couplings torn off completely, I can claim fame to tearing off the chute door one night. They tried to stick me with that repair bill. Union told the fire chief what he could do with his bill.

Study your structural make up, and if you can front pack it, by all means have at it. If the couplings will have a problem coming out and you will loose hose if you pack it properly, think twice. I would rather flat lay than loose 200 feet.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

What worked for us with the typical telesquirt type hosebed was to load the hose accordian style in two layers. The bottom layer spans the entire width of the hosebed.

The couplings in our case are all against the left side wall, aligned with the chute; as seen in the photo. There is 1000' of 4" on this rig.

When the hose plays out, the few folds laying flat in the chute go first, followed by the top layer and then the bottom layer plays out last.

Keeping the couplings against the left wall keeps them from snagging on the turntable box,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MG3610; 08-09-2008 at 08:09 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess it would help to know what type of apparatus. Pierce 2008 Velocity Quint 75 foot aluminum ladder

MembersZone Subscriber

MG3610: Do you puta layer of hose flat loaded under the accordion sections? We had been cautioned not to edge load LDH due to abrasion issues. I suspect that if you are using DJ LDH this would not be an issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is DJ. National Triple Duty. The other identical rig in town loads their SJ Snap-Tite hose the same way. We have the hose tested every year and hardly ever fail any of this hose (the stuff that is accordian loaded).

The hose in the picture is mostly 1988/89 vintage. Its been packed on this rig since 1994 (accordian style). Prior to that it was loaded on an LDH reel and in another rig, flat loaded. Most of it still passes the annual test.
    Last edited by MG3610; 08-09-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikecarver View Post
    I guess it would help to know what type of apparatus. Pierce 2008 Velocity Quint 75 foot aluminum ladder
    Maybe you could post a picture too?

If you have the model with the hosebed on the officer side rather than high-side compartments, then you should be able to do the "front load" without problems. We have an E-one HP 75 sidestacker model and our 5" loads & unloads easily. We carry 800' packed 2 wide. If we got rid of our 3" and went 3 wide, we could carry around 1200' of 5".

Forum Member

Probably a poor time to bring this up but: The best time to figure lay and quantity is PRIOR to taking delivery. Ours is set up to take a minimum of 800' of 5".Ideas being equal the straighter you can get the hose to come out of the bed the better. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Ideas being equal the straighter you can get the hose to come out of the bed the better. T.C.
    Hey! I've got a great idea T.C.-!!!! Keep the g'dammned hose on the wagon where it belongs!!!! What a concept! Hose and a pump on a ladder truck is like an outhouse in the living room- it just dont belong! Nuttin' but a waste of valuable compartment and ground ladder space!

Daddy always said "A real ladder truck has two steering wheels!"

(DISCLAIMER: This post is sarcasm for those of you who had your ability to recognize sarcasm surgically removed upon delivery of your quint.)
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 08-11-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Forum Member

And as tough a concept that you can believe,I HAVE driven both ends of one of those.I'm MUCH better with the front half than I am the back half however.Sorry,mine WILL have hose(and a BIG pump),staffing issues you know,hehe T.C,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

Daddy always said "A real ladder truck has two steering wheels!"

So CE11 is the Buff refering to a TDA?

Awaiting your response ........
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

CE11 is traveling about the country in something painted red headed towards someplace where lots of corn grows and firetrucks are built. He then drives another one to a major city in western Pa where a lot of steel is manufactured and drops it off. He wont have internet until he arrives home later this week.

Take your "T-D-A" and stick it up your "A-S-S"!!!!! Only Chiefs from Phoenix, Az and guys in California call TILLERS by any other name!

Thread Information