Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    Good body builders want to leave the compartment interiors bare because they have nothing to hide.

Just my opinion
    At least you admit it is an opinion. I believe the purpose of the Line-X interior coating is to leave a pleasing appearance inside the compartments for an extended period of time. Not to mention the fact that it keeps gouges and scratches out when building the unit. The only real reason to leave the interiors bare is to save the coins it takes to apply a coating. Any builder that tells you otherwise is blowing smoke up your backside. If you look around, most of the builders that leave interiors bare also mask to paint rather than disassemble and paint. One of them doesn't even bother to coat the underside in any manner at all.

My opinion is that "good builders" take the extra step to paint and coat everything and anything that might become a corrosion problem in the future.
    Especially an aluminum body that may be subjected to de-icing formulas.

Just my opinion.

Not that we haven't discussed this before,but: SINGLE source is only as good as the DEALER supporting it.You can have a "Heinz" truck with fantastic dealer support and a "single source"with lousy support.Which is better? I'm thinking the Heinz.So in that scenerio what did "single source" do for you? It's still the same old smoke and mirrors. A GOOD company will support their product whether they are "sole source"or not. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post

Platform space.... another option that I think people do not put enough thought into.
    There is an optimum size for a platform based on dept. need. We were concerned that some of the units we examined had platforms so large that you might not be able to place them into tight spaces.

From what I remember, Pierce has one of the larger available platforms. What you give up though, is the catwalk around the outside of the platform, which was important to us.

C6

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    From what I remember, Pierce has one of the larger available platforms. What you give up though, is the catwalk around the outside of the platform, which was important to us.

C6
    I'm with C6: the type of bucket configuration is quite important to us. I can't for the life of me understand why builders are still making square/rectangular buckets with flat faces and either no lip or just on the front. When it comes to being able to best make the objective, those buckets with angled corners and large lip edges are the most versatile.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tower Ladder Survey / Rk Aerials

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

Question:

RK AERIALS.. I have searched and even tried google for information out there on their product and to no avail. The only information I have received is literatue and information about RK AERIALS on the dealers handout and then some of them don't even mention who's actually building the aerial unless you ask them.

So anyone have pertient information on RK AERIALS ?

Really don't won't to invest money into a product that can't get information on..

Thanks again for the help

Forum Member

Default I need to clarify my last post....

Van Isle,you sure you didn't compare those rigs BACKWARDS?
    No I don't believe I have it backwards, although it was a Ferrara salesman that told me that the Ferrara version of the Smeal ladder has all the options. I should clarify that it would be up to the dealer submitting the bid on behalf of Smeal whether or not they wanted to include all the bells and whistles in their bid submission. We do know that everything has options.

I've been to Smeal,and their bodies are as well built as any I've seen,and over my years I've seen a few
    Then I'm sure your familiar with an extruded body containing full body width crossmembers like an E-One, Ferrara or General. Again in my opinion, a formed body is no where near as strong as an extruded body. Why do most formed body builders only offer a five - seven year structural warranty and extruded bodies are twenty plus years?

Forum Member

I believe the purpose of the Line-X interior coating is to leave a pleasing appearance inside the compartments for an extended period of time. Not to mention the fact that it keeps gouges and scratches out when building the unit.
    Oh I admit it does leave a nice appearance, I spec it on our rigs but what I was saying is it is sometimes used as cover-up. E-One for instance has bare compartment interiors as standard, not to save money but because they don't feel it's necessary and the compartments look great without it.

Not to mention the fact that it keeps gouges and scratches out when building the unit.
    There shouldn't be scratches and gouges from production. If there is it's because they haven't taken the time to protect things. Look at the interior of an E-One, SVI, Ferrara or General and you won't see any scratches or on stainless bodies for that matter.

Forum Member

So anyone have pertient information on RK AERIALS ?
    Like already mentioned, RK is marketed under Rosenbauer America so look on their website. RK also sells to Alexis, HME, Fort Garry and others so you can check their sites also

Forum Member

Deleted message
    Last edited by CanadianFyrTrks; 08-12-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Cause I felt Like it

Ferrara DOES NOT have all the options,Smeal holds those cards for THEIR units.I'll check our body warranty but I know it's longer than 5-7 years.As I mentioned earlier Smeal doesn't use Line-X to "hide"anything,rather they use it to protect Hi corrosion/Hi wear areas.Most of their bodies can EASILY do at least one rehab(new chassis)and some of the smaller Midwest units have seen two or three.One can debate at length about which design is "better"but we've used form bodies for years(many)with no issues.So I certainly DO NOT agree that they are inferior to extruded.I'm not a big E-one fan,the early versions were great,but in later years the quality has slipped considerably. An extruded body can be a bit more problematic to fix than a formed body,but as I mentioned earlier most of our formed bodies serve out their service life without being touched.Fortunately we all have choices and can choose what we think is best for OUR depts. Sometimes we get it right,and sometimes we learn for the next rig.For us,we've managed to get it pretty close everytime.Of course it takes 18-24 months of work and research to get there but in the end,the time is well spent.Our next example is due in March,we'll see that pans out. T.C.

Forum Member

Oh I admit it does leave a nice appearance, I spec it on our rigs but what I was saying is it is sometimes used as cover-up. E-One for instance has bare compartment interiors as standard, not to save money but because they don't feel it's necessary and the compartments look great without it.

There shouldn't be scratches and gouges from production. If there is it's because they haven't taken the time to protect things. Look at the interior of an E-One, SVI, Ferrara or General and you won't see any scratches or on stainless bodies for that matter.
    E-One has been doing it to save money since day one. Not because they are superior to everyone but because it is better suited to their building method.

"There shouldn't be scratches and gouges from production." This only proves you have never worked is a production environment. When you get a hundred or so units in production with hundreds of workers crawling on everything, sh.. happens.

Oh, you also need to double check on those full width extruded crossmembers you were talking about. This thread is about aerial bodies.

Tell me, if those formed aluminum bodies are such crap, why aren't they breaking all over the place? Both methods of construction have good points and bad points and they both are holding up on the rigors of the fire service.

Forum Member

Default COmpartment lighting

E-One for instance has bare compartment interiors as standard, not to save money but because they don't feel it's necessary and the compartments look great without it.

I think it helps reflect more light through out the compartment. We actually go with the swirrled aluminum becasue it reflecs even more. Compartment lighting is damn near as important as scene lighting. Why should you have to fumble through a compartment of **** at night with next to no light? You should be able to open the door and see what you need. Plus how many times after you took delivery of a rig and started placing equipment did you find that something you put in that compartment blocks the one and only light.
    We even go as far as adding ROM lighting on both sides of the door opening in addition to what is standard. And the lighting is all LED... you can't beat it.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoofTopTrucky View Post
    We even go as far as adding ROM lighting on both sides of the door opening in addition to what is standard. And the lighting is all LED... you can't beat it.
    Trucky,

Are you referring to strip lighting?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    "There shouldn't be scratches and gouges from production." This only proves you have never worked is a production environment. When you get a hundred or so units in production with hundreds of workers crawling on everything, sh.. happens.
    I somewhat agree with you, but the scratches should be repaired when it comes time for the final inspection.

Tell me, if those formed aluminum bodies are such crap, why aren't they breaking all over the place? Both methods of construction have good points and bad points and they both are holding up on the rigors of the fire service.
    I don't believe he ever called a formed body crap. Is what he did say is show him a formed body with a standard 20 year body warranty. I don't believe you will find it on a formed, only on an extruded body.

Forum Member

When working for an OEM, you wouldn't believe the amount of things I needed rushed in for the number of times an "OOPS!" occurred. The fondest memory was the day I needed to get a customer a new mirror without their knowledge because someone wasn't paying much attention to the bay doors nearing.

MembersZone Subscriber

E-One has been doing it to save money since day one. Not because they are superior to everyone but because it is better suited to their building method.

"There shouldn't be scratches and gouges from production." This only proves you have never worked is a production environment. When you get a hundred or so units in production with hundreds of workers crawling on everything, sh.. happens.....

Nonsense, may be the case in plant where it doesn't matter.

Now if you want a REALLY good looking compartment interior, that hides scratches, get the machine turned panels.

And on undercoating. Ever see the aftermath when moisture gets between the metal and the crap some 3rd grade dropout "technician" sprayed on? You better off with out undercoating on your chassis and paint on your ladder.

So why aren't you guys talking to Pierce and E-One? Those are the leading manufacturers of aerials in the US. And while your out doing test drives go look at a Bronto, gives you an entirely different additional capability you don't have now. Go try the shopping cart from Rosenbauer, it might even fill your need if you still defining what that need looks like.

Forum Member

Thanks LT2410, I don't remember saying formed bodies were crap either, I was just stating that one is superior to the other and offers a longer structural warranty.

Oh, you also need to double check on those full width extruded crossmembers you were talking about. This thread is about aerial bodies.
    You're right....my bad, I was thinking pumper & rescue bodies when I made that comment.

There is a place and budget for all body types, for us, formed just hasn't cut it.

Neiowa,you want to rethink that? I think there is a builder or two out there producing more AERIAL units than either of those two.Where did you dig up your numbers? T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    Trucky,

Are you referring to strip lighting?

Yes. You just have to be sure to speck it on BOTH sides of the opening. It's well worth the money.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Nonsense, may be the case in plant where it doesn't matter.

So why aren't you guys talking to Pierce and E-One? Those are the leading manufacturers of aerials in the US. And while your out doing test drives go look at a Bronto, gives you an entirely different additional capability you don't have now. Go try the shopping cart from Rosenbauer, it might even fill your need if you still defining what that need looks like.

The reason why the department did not talk to the leading manufactures is because they were to proud to admit their mistakes when they ordered from these places before. Our newest and only Peirce is a superb pumper compared to our other pumper. We frankensteined this truck from 10 other manufacturers specs and when Peirce came through with the best result, The leaders of the department blammed Peirce in stead of ourselves. We had issues with the salesman and his communications between us and the manufacturer. He was fired soon after our truck was delivered. His first and only sale, I believe. We enjoy blamming other people for our problems in stead of our own. Some people on the truck committee fought tooth and nail to get the department to even consider Peirce and after the other members agreed to Peirce the Trustees agreed to purchase it. Short and simple! This was a behind the back slap in the face to the members and the committee to not look at Peirce during this ladder tower purchase.

Thread Information