Default County Fire Department?

I have heard rumors that the county I live in is considering going to a county fire department that would cover the majority of all the townships in the county. Myself I can not see this happening. I could not imagine the poor response times if the hall is on one side of the county and the call is on the other side of the county. I can also not imagine that the townships would want to give up the controls of the fire department? Has anyone else ever heard of this happening and how it works?

Forum Member

yeah, its happening all over the country. In one form or another consolidation and combining resources that is. It the best thing that happened to the fire servcie since Tom Brennan

Forum Member

Yes, it is happening all over. No, it is not the best thing since Tom Brennan. Tom brought the absolute best in ideas and tactics to the fire service for many years. I doubt you'll find anyone anywhere that doesn't agree.

You can find consolidation done, without looking at all the details, just because it seems good. I can point out a department that did it and took several years to straighten out things like starting times, SOP's and other "details". Knowing several people from these depatments before the merge and talking to them now, the best ideas were not always brought to the table. Money wise? One of the smaller towns is paying almost 3 times the amount for fire protection than they were before. If homework is not done, consolidation will not be the golden solution it makes itself out to be.

Forum Member

Smile

Len, I hope you didn't misunderstand anything I may have typed. There is no comparison. I see you are from Jersey City and probably can't identify with the uncoordinated efforts of mutaul aid. While the two are totally unrelated perhaps one thing that can be identified is that some of what Tom stood for was getting people to recognize the need for proper staffing and resources. In my estimation he increased the awareness for personnel, and resource needs. This is a result of the teachings you cited. To that extent once you become more aware of what you are faced with and what you need to do the job successfully the next step is putting agencies together, in what ever form, to advance the cause.

Forum Member

I understand the confusion that can arise at mutual aid incidents (fires, haz-mat, collapse) more that you think. I've responded out of town many times. There have also been times we've had a few things going on at the same time with others relocating and ending up with their own fire. Two of our engines, two of theirs, and someone elses truck. It happens. Putting agencies together isn't necessarily a bad thing. But doing it in a hap hazzard method without a good plan is not being responsible. That's what I saw in another department.

MembersZone Subscriber

UPFireFighter 1: Do they intend on running only one firehouse? Many county FD's incorporate many firehouse and they may look to install an overall command structure while maintaining some of the current Chief's as districts or other station ranks.

Generally speaking, moving to a large consolidated departement will not save money. It can improve services, but in the end the money saved in one area wil be used in another.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by UPFireFighter1 View Post
    I could not imagine the poor response times if the hall is on one side of the county and the call is on the other side of the county.

Just because you have a county wide fire department doesn't mean that they'd cover the whole county from one fire station. I would imagine they'd keep the current stations (maybe a couple might be lost due to consolidation, to eliminate redundancy). Instead of several unrelated fire departments, they'd be one consolidated fire district. The existing departments could probably even retain their identities, but they'd be administered under a county-wide leadership. It could have some definite benefits, if done correctly. I wish they'd look into it in my parish (county).
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Generally the losers in these deals are the average to larger municipalities. They have a larger and denser tax base. A lot of money that would have originally gone to that municipality will go out of town to someone else's neighborhood. I get a love letter from the dept that protects my house telling me all of the wonderful things they are doing with my fire assessment. None of it is within 25 miles of my house.

If consolidating services was always the best idea the Federal Government would be the pinnacle of efficiency.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Default County Fire Department

I do not know if they plan on running out of one hall or not. The only thing I have heard is that they are looking at a County Fire Department. I guess my would be concerned with halls being closed and losing personnel. The other concern would be response time if halls are closed.

Forum Member

I do not know if they plan on running out of one hall or not. The only thing I have heard is that they are looking at a County Fire Department. I guess my would be concerned with halls being closed and losing personnel. The other concern would be response time if halls are closed.
    My suggestion is that you find out who "they" is, and start getting involved in the process. Most States have Sunshine meeting laws that would require most of the meetings about this type of process to be a public meeting.

Find out what their plans are for sure, then if you are still concerned became a community activist to make sure that those concerns are addressed.

Forum Member

What does this have to do with tactics?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard rumors that the county I live in is considering going to a county fire department that would cover the majority of all the townships in the county. Myself I can not see this happening. I could not imagine the poor response times if the hall is on one side of the county and the call is on the other side of the county. I can also not imagine that the townships would want to give up the controls of the fire department? Has anyone else ever heard of this happening and how it works?
    Who ownes the firehouse and trucks? If your county is like mine, the County does not own a thing. Each of the 8 fire depts. ownes it own equipment and has a contract with the county to provide fire protection for their district. If the county wanted to "take over" the fire depts., they would go broke trying to pay for all the trucks, firehouses and equipment. Each VFD has its own Traditions,History and Community Pride. We do not need the county stepping in and trying to run things. All of the depts. work/play well togather Hell we even train together. Why try to fix somthing if it is not broken. Maybe that is why the my county is not trying to take over. Thank God.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information