Forum Member

Default Advice from past and present live-ins

I am currently a Firefighter/EMT at a small FD in NC and I am moving into a larger fire department as a live in while I am attending college. What I am looking for is what to expect, I know what they expect of me as far as duties and training requirements and I will fulfill what ever they ask of me but I want to know what the experience of others was like. Thanks Guys.
    Just my opinion.

Forum Member

1. Dont stick a bottle rocket up your *** and light it.

2. Dont get caught doing the above on video.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    1. Dont stick a bottle rocket up your *** and light it.

2. Dont get caught doing the above on video.
    LOL I needed that laugh, what a bunch of freakin morons.
    Just my opinion.

Forum Member

I don't know anything about what kind of department you are joining as a live-in, but I have been a live-in for two years on a small department in the Pacific Northwest. It has been a great experience - like many things it is what you make of it. Just as people would tell you about joining a VFD or career department, keep your head down, stay busy and learn as much as you can. Keep your space clean and professional - at my station four live-ins share a large bunkroom with career staff so space is limited and what little privacy we do have is constantly being invaded by tours - it goes a long way with your fellow FF's and the public to keep things presentable. Keep the station and apparatus in good shape - not only is it your department (which should be enough) but its also your home so have some pride in what it looks like.

Personally, this was my first exposure to the fire service and served to confirm to me that this is the job I want to spend the rest of my life doing. I work in a combo department, with one or two live-ins and three career personnel per shift augmented by a small force of volunteers. We have one station and run 1100-1300 calls a year. The experience of working with professional firefighters on a structured shift gives me plenty of learning opportunities to glean from their variety of experiences. One advantage to being in the station all the time is that you get to see and work with all three shifts - not just the shift you are assigned to. This exposed me to many different styles of work and leadership - again more chances to learn.

All that said, it can be challenging to live in the station - the constant ringing of the phone at all hours, noisy shift changes happening on your day off, the public stopping by, and of course the tones that invade many, many of your nights. PLAY NICE WITH OTHERS. Assuming you won't be alone in the station, be ready to compromise and work out problems that arise with your fellow FF's. Grudges can get nasty in such close quarters and aren't any help on the fire ground. I am sure you will run into many of your own challenges as you start working at the new dept, but they are minor inconveniences in the big picture. Taking this position was one of the best things I've ever done and has been a great start to what will (hopefully) be a long career in the fire service. Good luck!

Thread Information