Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    ......it's your interview and if would like to ask...ask away. I'm sure the person interviewed after you would not mind.
    He'll just move up on the list.
    Too often I hear this yea, but.

This should clear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    As Chief Lepore has stated....we are moving on to the next candidate. There is the question "Do you have any questions and would you like to add anything". You would be surprised at some of the responses. It would seem to me that as stated before all of your questions would be answered by another department or from you doing research on your own. Don't waste the interviewers time by asking them questions that they have no answers to.
    On the other side of the coin though......it's your interview and if would like to ask...ask away. I'm sure the person interviewed after you would not mind.
    He'll just move up on the list.
    So give us a few of the doozie responses for our entertainment and education please.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

I for one blurted out the department's Mission Statement at the very end. Talk about sounding canned.
    A panel member looked at me and asked, "You memorized that didn't you?"
    Yeeeaaahhh....I didn't move on that year.

I remember one candidate who had no (zero/zip/nada) fire experience say at the end, "I want to get into some ladder work, because I don't think I want to be a nozzlehead for my career."
    The department he was interviewing for was so small, that they didn't have a ladder truck. Everything was handled by an engine company.
    (Mental note: Don't come in and overtly insult the panel.)

Default Responses

Lets see....When do I get my vacation. I'd like to know if I can work on the Fire Boat...my dad is in the Navy. How many days off in a row do you get. If you hire me you'll be getting the most inexperienced person you can hire. Then there was the one who after the interview said he has met me before @ Yellowstone Park....the only problem was I've NEVER been to Yellowstone Park. How about the question about how early was he to show up to Drill School when we hire him.

Thats just a few that stick out in my memory....I'm sure there's more .
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Don't ask anything. The 3 oral boards I passed, all I said was "No questions here, you guys covered everything and I found a lot of good info. I appreciate your time." And walked out.

I have to admit, in the promotional interviews, I have asked pertient, non-BS questions in the past. I dont remember the exact verbage, but I would only do so with something related to the position.

Recent eample- I just interviewed for a Chief Officer/TO position. Its down to two candidates and I got a 50/50 shot. I only asked them what the hiring time line was going to be after the interviews. To them, (and me) it seemed like an acceptable question. And they gave me an acceptable answer.

To biggie. But for the entry-level FF oral, I would keep it to a nice, clean closing statement and get out of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    for the entry-level FF oral, I would keep it to a nice, clean closing statement and get out of the building.
    Get out of the building, really? I would ask where the break room is so I could relax, have a cup of Joe and read the funnies.

Well, it sounds like, even if questions at the end of a fire interview aren't necessary, a good and concise closing statement is at least in order.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

One of the captains I work with sat on a panel a few years ago. They had a guy that was the best they had seen, and thus had the highest score they had given.

When asked if he had any questions he said, “I hope your ready, because They are coming”. One of the people on the panel asked who was coming. He said “The spaceships”. The panel kind of chuckled. The guy did not. He was absoultily serious. I don’t think he notice as they were madly erasing and changing his scores.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    Last edited by FFighterRob; 09-02-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    Get out of the building, really? I would ask where the break room is so I could relax, have a cup of Joe and read the funnies.
    Dude- I think my statement when over your head. When I said "Get out of the building", I was referring to not stopping and chatting with other people with in the facility. Do not chat with uniformed personnel, be buddy-buddy with the HR lady, do not make casual conversation with other agency related people.

I know its hard to do because I have done so before. Its hard because everyone is friendly with you, open armed and very welcoming. Its best to be polite and move with a purpose out of the building so the Candidate doesnt do or say something to effect their score.

PS- Rob- And what if the Spaceships really are coming. Does that guy get his badge?
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 09-02-2008 at 02:50 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    One of the captains I work with sat on a panel a few years ago. They had a guy that was the best they had seen, and thus had the highest score they had given.

When asked if he had any questions he said, “I hope your ready, because They are coming”. One of the people on the panel asked who was coming. He said “The spaceships”. The panel kind of chuckled. The guy did not. He was absoultily serious. I don’t think he notice as they were madly erasing and changing his scores.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    ww.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330
    I tried. I typed and hit the button to post it, but I couldn't go through with it. It would be like "shooting fish in a barrell".
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information