Thread: am i too small

Forum Member

Default am i too small

i've been thinking about becoming a firefighter for a couple years now and finally decided on going for it...i know how physically demanding it can be cause i have talked to a couple of friends who are firefighters plus my Girlfriend's dad is the chief at a local station, but anyways I'm 17 and I'm 5'8 and weigh about 135 to 140, i am about to start my senior year of high school and am taking a full year of P.E. so i can work out more and run more,i can do 50 sit-ups in under 2 minutes and easily do 25 in under 2 minutes..i can run a mile in about 6 to 7 minutes, i am in really good physical shape and have lots of energy and don't get tired too easily... some of my buddies think i wont be able to do it because of my size... are they right or should i just ignore them...?
    lots of feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Don't give up, you shouldn't have any problems. If it makes you feel any better, you have 4" and 15 pounds on the other lieutenant on my shift.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default thanks

I'm just about to leave to go run stadiums at my high school since i only have one week of summer left...

Forum Member

thanks..i'm about to go run stadiums at my school for a while...

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope, I have a guy in my class that is 140 pounds and around 5'9". Besides saying the 1 3/4 throws him around a little, he's one of the best around. He's super strong for his size. Being on the nozzle and throwing a 24 foot ladder is all in the technique anyway.

Forum Member

last night i was lucky to get my first experience on the nozzle because my girlfriends dad invited me to the local dept.'s weekly exercises and now he's gonna have me come every week and he even has gear for me...im really looking foreward to next monday!!!

Forum Member

i wish i knew what i wanted to do at the age of 17, so you're ahead of the game as far as i'm concerned. you have so much time to put on muscle, and you will. don't listen to your friends. they sound like some crabs in a bucket. you're so young (man, you don't realize how young you are) that you will only improve with time if you keep on working out and striving towards your goal. don't ever let anyone discourage you. if you can dream it, you can do it. and, the younger you are the more true that statement is. reach for sky, man. there is nothing you can't accomplish if you put your mind to it.

Default Youre Just Fine

I am not much bigger than you... as a matter of fact, i am much taller but don't weigh much more... I am 6'2" and about 160. I have been testing with the Salt Lake Fire Dept with the help of one of their captains. He is a big burly guy so its kind of intimidating. He says there is nothing inadequate about my size. In fact, he said if he could trade body types with me, he would. You should be just fine. I just passed the CPAT test last saturday. It was pretty hard, but with a lot of running and a little weight training you will have no problems.

Forum Member

thanks for everyones feedback... the chief of the dept near me just gave me gear tonight cause im gonna start training with them once a week...i cant wait!!!!!

Forum Member

I was 5'-9"/130 lbs as a junior in high school and at age 25 I was 5'-10"/165 lbs. You'll fill out.

Here's some good info from LA County's physical requirements document,

There are no minimum or maximum height requirements, but the height/weight relationship of each applicant must either
    (1) fall within the ranges in the following table, or
    (2) if the applicant's height is not included in the table, be found to be acceptable after individual evaluation. Height measurements are made without shoes and coat.

Applicants whose height falls between any of the measurements shown on the table must meet the weight requirements of the lower weight.

:MALE
    HEIGHT WEIGHT
    5 ft. 0 in. 110 lbs. to 143 lbs.
    5 ft. 1 in. 112 lbs. to 146 lbs.
    5 ft. 2 in. 115 lbs. to 149 lbs.
    5 ft. 3 in. 118 lbs. to 152 lbs.
    5 ft. 4 in. 121 lbs. to 155 lbs.
    5 ft. 5 in. 124 lbs. to 158 lbs.
    5 ft. 6 in. 128 lbs. to 163 lbs.
    5 ft. 7 in. 131 lbs. to 168 lbs.
    5 ft. 8 in. 136 lbs. to 173 lbs.
    5 ft. 9 in. 140 lbs. to 179 lbs.
    5 ft. 10 in. 144 lbs. to 185 lbs.
    5 ft. 11 in. 148 lbs. to 191 lbs.
    6 ft. 0 in. 152 lbs. to 197 lbs.
    6 ft. 1 in. 156 lbs. to 203 lbs.
    6 ft. 2 in. 160 lbs. to 209 lbs.
    6 ft. 3 in. 164 lbs. to 215 lbs.
    6 ft. 4 in. 168 lbs. to 221 lbs.
    6 ft. 5 in. 172 lbs. to 227 lbs.
    6 ft. 6 in. 176 lbs. to 233 lbs.
    6 ft. 7 in. 180 lbs. to 239 lbs.
    Last edited by SansMustache; 08-15-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Forum Member

whats the best way to measure for fitting boots compared to normal shoes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post
    I was 5'-9"/130 lbs as a junior in high school and at age 25 I was 5'-10"/165 lbs. You'll fill out.

There are no minimum or maximum height requirements, but the height/weight relationship of each applicant must either
    (2) if the applicant's height is not included in the table, be found to be acceptable after individual evaluation. Height measurements are made without shoes and coat.

Applicants whose height falls between any of the measurements shown on the table must meet the weight requirements of the lower weight.

HEIGHT WEIGHT
    so at 271 only need to be 7 ft 3 in. shouldn't be a problem.

What kind of boot are you looking to size?

Forum Member

Here's the way I take it,

One of the departments here in Ontario (Mississauga) just promoted a Female Firefighter to the rank of Captain, she's been with the department since the early 90's and has become the first female in their history to receive the promotion.

Her height, 5'2"

Her Weight, 130lbs

But it's her drive and her determination that has brought her all the success. Don't ever think you're too small, it's your attitude that will show to everyone you can do the job.

Work Hard

Good Luck!

Forum Member

thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber

After looking at the LA County height to weight ratio, I finally figured out my problem. I am just not tall enough......
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Talking

i'm now working for Levy County Fire Rescue Station 78! its actually 2 stations in Morriston / Montbrook!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post

HEIGHT WEIGHT

At 33 yrs old, I'm 6'-2" and 234 lbs, I could start smoking crack and taking chemo for the next six months and could not lose enough weight to make those requirements. Hell I think I'm in prety good shape, considering that when I was playing football in college I weighed right at 280 lbs (OL). Most of the guys that I played ball with have gotten bigger since the good old days. I guess having to chase and fight bad guys for the past 10 years has kept me in ok shape.

Stay Safe
    bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Don't worry about it. I am 160lbs and 6'1. I am a DoD fire fighter. Having to go through basic military training and DoD fire academy has gained me no weight. I actually dropped to 145 in BMT and then picked it back up at the fire academy. Some how I am a lot stronger, but not heavier.

Eitherway, if you want it enough than it's yours. Just work hard at it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You are still growing. mrivers!

I knew guys who grew 6 " and put on 40 lbs. in college. I grew 5" and gained 20 lbs. You have plenty of time. Just keep training with weights and doing your cardio and eating healthy food. You will be fine.

Make good choices... with your goals in mind. So many kids your age think of having fun, and forget about consequences. Don't forget about what you want to do, and stay on the path!
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 09-16-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Forum Member

I'm 6'3" and 224lbs. So I guess I can't work for LAFD
    I do the Combat Challenge every year, last time was 2:06, not bad for the Over 40 guys.

Charts like that are useless.

FF-EMT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mrivers09 View Post
    i've been thinking about becoming a firefighter for a couple years now and finally decided on going for it...i know how physically demanding it can be cause i have talked to a couple of friends who are firefighters plus my Girlfriend's dad is the chief at a local station, but anyways I'm 17 and I'm 5'8 and weigh about 135 to 140, i am about to start my senior year of high school and am taking a full year of P.E. so i can work out more and run more,i can do 50 sit-ups in under 2 minutes and easily do 25 in under 2 minutes..i can run a mile in about 6 to 7 minutes, i am in really good physical shape and have lots of energy and don't get tired too easily... some of my buddies think i wont be able to do it because of my size... are they right or should i just ignore them...?
    lots of feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Go for it!! I am at the oposite end of the spectrum, at 49 years old and 276, may would say that I am way to big and too old to try to be a firefighter! My FF1 instructor and all my classmates do everything they can to help me get thru the class. GO FOR YOUR DREAM!!!! I am sure that you will be able to be a firefighter, but you got to want it! It may be the most difficult thing you have ever done but the rewards are worth it!! feel free to email me for moral support any time you want to.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

Cool

i got to go on my first call tonight!!!!!!

Forum Member

I am right there with you.....just wanted to give you some advice

at 5'6" and 115lbs i know I am small. You have to have a good company/crew with you to really succeed. I actually have to travel to my fire district because of a few people at the local district that are very "anti-women in the fire service"

I've worked with those that know what I can do and expect me to pull my load to my ability, and I've had those that are A%%$$$es and expect me to be able to perform feats that they cannot do themselves. Best advice, try to build as much muscle as possible.

Congrats on the first call btw!
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

http://firemidget.blogspot.com/

Forum Member

Default just a quick update

thanks for everyone's input...i've been working at a local station for about a month or so and have been heavily involved with every training session...i just got globe gx-7 gear from them so i've been having a really good experience and have found out i'm perfectly capable of performing tasks that i will be called upon to do in the fire service. i start my firefighter 1 classes in january and will be starting emt-b classes next summer and after that i am probably going to get firefighter 2 and hopefully find a job with career dept.

Forum Member

Talking In ya go ya little bugger!!

Don't stress about your size...I'm 5' 6" and 160lbs so kind of on the chunky side, still got sent through a 2nd story bathroom window to gain access at a fire the other night.
    Heck our station officer walked up to us and said whoever that short f*&^ker is, get up that ladder and check for any occupants. Figures it had to happen on the last shift before annuals.
    You will get the techniques down pat for throwing any bulky gear around....if you meet any other smaller people in you travels ask them about any tricks they have, we are always happy to share em'

Thread Information