Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default UK Firefighter looking for 6 or 12 month exchange to Canada, Florida, NY or Australia

Hi all,

I'm a Firefighter from the Uk and i'm interested in a firefighter exchange to either Canada, Florida, New York or Australia. If anyone is interested, knows how they could help in anyway or to find out more about the fire service/department i work for, please could you Email me.

I've also been informed that canadian fire departments take on overseas firefighters on a tempoary contract basis without an exchange partner. Please could you advise me if this is the case.

Thanks for your time,
    Regards,

Nath
    Last edited by nathanclark; 08-16-2008 at 09:44 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Queensland.

Hi Nathan,

I'm a firie with Queensland Fire and rescue service here in Oz. We have got an exchange program and have had a few guys over the years. If you go to the website- http://www.fire.qld.gov.au and look under employment there is a section on the firefighter exchange.

I am based in South-east region and there are a couple of ex uk fire guys who moved over around. hope this helps, any questions just email me through my profile or put a post up.

Alex

Forum Member

Default FF Exchange

Nathan, are you still looking for an exchange. I'm in Canada. Send my your email. Where are you located in the UK.
    Thanks

Forum Member

Default Did you ever do an exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by firekid95 View Post
    Nathan, are you still looking for an exchange. I'm in Canada. Send my your email. Where are you located in the UK.
    Thanks
    Hi there Mate
    Did you ever line up an exchange to UK. If not and want to come to Australia, drop me an email. runtim@dodo.com.au I'm in Melbourne, Australia and looking for an exchange in late 2010.

Forum Member

Talking job exchange

I am a firefighter in the UK and have been for the last 7 years and am looking to exchange with a firefighter in Australia. i think it would be great experience for us both.

I live in Lincolnshire which is the considered as the North east of England. I thik anything north of london is classed as North east. ha. My location is 4 hours drive to london. 2 hours to manchester 3 hours to Newcastle so i'm pretty central in the country if you wanted to travel too.

If anybody is interested then please email me. I'm not sure what we have to to for the legality of the swap and how much paperwork we'd have to fill in but i'm sure it'll be worth it in the end

Andy Dixon

Forum Member

Default Vancouver - London Exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanclark View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a Firefighter from the Uk and i'm interested in a firefighter exchange to either Canada, Florida, New York or Australia. If anyone is interested, knows how they could help in anyway or to find out more about the fire service/department i work for, please could you Email me.

I've also been informed that canadian fire departments take on overseas firefighters on a tempoary contract basis without an exchange partner. Please could you advise me if this is the case.

Thanks for your time,
    Regards,

Nath
    Hi Nath,

I'm from North Vancouver, Canada. I've been thinking about doing an exchange to Great Britain. Where are you from? When would you want to do it?

Cheers,

Bill

Forum Member

Hi Nathan,

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I've been trying to get an exchange going to Australia, but hey, the UK would be great too. Have you found a suitable candidate yet?
    Drop me a line at dandardis@shaw.ca.

Forum Member

fancy coming to ireland anyone?
    Also enclosed is some general information on exchanges:

Hi,
    I am an irish fulltime firefighter , working and living in west ireland.

If you are interested in a 12 month exchange to West Ireland, and you are bringing with you a small family (wife 'n a few kids) then maybe our jobs AND our homes will be compatible.

A few points:

* I think your spouse would struggle to obtain a visa to work (at least to work officially). So if you are hoping for you both to work you will probably be disappointed. (i reckon that goes for most countries you would work in, not 100% sure. i emailed irish immigration offices today, not sure when a reply is forthcoming, if you are interested in asking for yourself their email address is visamail@justice.ie )

* I would consider most places (USA, Canada, Oz, NZ et al), especially somewhere within reasonable distance to a ski slope! (not essential). My wife is from NY upstate (saratoga springs) and we would go there too If you like surfing, countryside, easy laidback living, great place for kids, and the odd night out in the town then you will like this place. (also on the doorstep of an airport and cheap flights to many european destinations)

* My firehouse has about 60 guys, about 14 on each shift (9 and 15 hr split shift) everyone is really flexible with swops and time off or say spending the night in the house after a night out etc etc.

* You need to be fulltime and experienced for at least four years.(this is an exchange rule, not mine)

* I am not looking to exchange right away - prob ready to move 2012, it takes ages (apparently) to organise an exchange , apparently the hardest part is to find a suitable exchange partner- as well as taking kids from school and finding a suitable school for a 11 year old (my second kid is still a baby) etc etc so i am posting this early.

* you PROBABLY will not have to go through firefighting school again, i am trying to negotiate that your experience will mean you can learn the differences in procedures, scba etc etc, "in-house" and be fully operational in about two weeks (i know that sounds attractive because some exchanged firefighters are expected to go through full firefighting school!). Our fighters are first responder trained but NOT paramedics - so thats the kind of firehouse i need to swop with.

so if you are interested email me

craicmac@yahoo.ie

hello again,

i thought i would include this link to an application form for a fire fighter exchange just to let you know whats involved. most depts across the world have very similar requirements:

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...program-f.aspx

the exchanges tend to last somewhere between 6 - 12 months, and while there seems to be a bit of work involved in making the exchange happen it has the potential to be a massively positive experience: good socially, good professionally in your career ahead.

anyways my inbox still lies in wait of a firefighter interested in exchanging jobs and homes temporarily and coming to see what its like to be a firefighter in ireland

For those interested how the exchange works financially i enclose copy of a section titled 'salaries and conditions' from the link i enclosed above in an earlier message:

Exchange Partners will remain in the employ of their Fire Service. They continue to receive
    their own salaries whilst they are overseas, with continuing deductions (including mortgage
    and insurances) as applicable. This arrangement can not be varied under this Program as
    any changes to this will result in the requirement of different criteria to gain entry into other
    countries and have tax implications.
    Where rates of exchange vary widely, it is recommended that the two Exchange Partners
    come to a financial agreement which will ensure the exchange is viable for both parties.
    Ensure agreements are in writing and a copy lodged with your coordinator.
    Overtime payment methods need to be negotiated by the employers and this is addressed in
    the Deed of Exchange. There are wide variations in opportunities and conditions for overtime
    between Fire Services.

So who is up for it?
    It seems anything is negotiable, even wages!
    If you know of anyone at your station with a few kids that may have a bit of irish blood in them and may want to go to the 'old country' or just someone with a bit of adventure in them then pass on my details.

thanks
    mac
    Last edited by uiscemac; 03-15-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Sorry Mac,

link broken and it is also for a New Zealand department.....same hemisphere but a little to the left eh' Bro!

Sutts

Forum Member

bluemnts
    it was a good link only a few weeks ago, and while it was Nz it was merely to give an idea of whats involved

here is another link which is active

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...program-f.aspx

Thread Information