Forum Member

Default Bonus points on written exams

Can anyone explain to me why certain cities give bonus points to residents?? It seems a bit strange to me...i could live one block outside of the city and not receive these points. Doesn't really make any sense to me as to why they do it. Veteran points I understand since the fire department is a paramilitary organization.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Default Silly

I could come up with a great reason to justify it, but only if I had to. I think it's silly. It gives points to the people who most likely have less training and experience than those from within city limits. Along the lines of a residency requirement for hiring, the way Boston used to be you had to have lived within city limtis for a year. The only thing this does is cut down on the number of quality applicants.

I think the biggest reason would be to get more jobs to people within the city. Cuts down on unemployment and you get people who are more familiar with the layout of the city.

Forum Member

That's about the only reason I could see it...cut down on unemployment. Just doesn't seem logical to me though...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

It should be used as a tie breaker. All things being equal, the local guy should get it, for loyalty's sake if nothing else. However it should not bring a lesser qualified guy to a level equal or above a more qualified guy.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Exactly...I worry about the test I took and the upcoming tests I have lined up. Each locality gives bonus points for residents. It would suck to be a top 30 or 40 candidate and then be dropped to like 60 because people get bonus points for living in the city. On the flip side that'd be sweet if you were 60 and bumped to 30 just for living in the city.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Thread Information