Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Does Rank on hiring roster compensate for other shortcomings?

I recently tested for a very large department. I am estimating that about 600 to 900 people took the initial written test. Out of those people, I received the number 1 score (a 95%). The written test carried a total weight of 10%
    The next portion of testing was the BPAD test. I received the top score on this test as well scoring 31.5 out of a possible 32. This test carried a weight of 90%.
    After these tests, my average score was just a hair above 98%. After distribution of preference points, they published the hiring roster. I am ranked number 2 on the roster. I don't have any certifications (not even EMT-B). I am the only person in the top 16 who is not a certified paramedic.
    I guess my question is this: Does being ranked higher on the list allow you some room for shortcomings such as no certifications, weaker interviews, etc? I understand that people who do very poorly on their interviews can and will be passed over, no matter their rank. Im just wondering if being at the top of the list helps.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biggergib View Post
    I recently tested for a very large department. I am estimating that about 600 to 900 people took the initial written test. Out of those people, I received the number 1 score (a 95%). The written test carried a total weight of 10%
    The next portion of testing was the BPAD test. I received the top score on this test as well scoring 31.5 out of a possible 32. This test carried a weight of 90%.
    After these tests, my average score was just a hair above 98%. After distribution of preference points, they published the hiring roster. I am ranked number 2 on the roster. I don't have any certifications (not even EMT-B). I am the only person in the top 16 who is not a certified paramedic.
    I guess my question is this: Does being ranked higher on the list allow you some room for shortcomings such as no certifications, weaker interviews, etc? I understand that people who do very poorly on their interviews can and will be passed over, no matter their rank. Im just wondering if being at the top of the list helps.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Get others oppinions too, but I am told the interview is 100% of your score. Just go in smoke it.

Thread Information