Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default My Dog Would Either

Eat me or just leave me there to rot. The story about the dog is pretty kuul, I think, except that another familiy is having to deal with the loss of a loved one.

Dog Guards Owner's Body For 6 Weeks. Authorities Say Man Committed Suicide

POSTED: 1:30 pm EDT August 13, 2008
    UPDATED: 3:11 pm EDT August 13, 2008

GREELEY, Colo. -- A German Shepherd that was reported lost in June has actually been guarding her owner's body for six weeks after the man took his own life in the remote northeast Colorado plains.

Cash, the dog, was found alive on Sunday, next to the body of her master, Jake Baysinger, 25, a resident of La Salle, KMGH-TV in Denver reported.

Weld County Deputy Coroner Gracie Marquez said Tuesday that Baysinger's death was ruled a suicide. The cause of death hasn't been determined, but authorities found a gun nearby.

His 3-year-old dog was found thin and dehydrated, but veterinarians said she is otherwise doing well. Officials said there was evidence that Cash ate mice and rabbits to stay alive during her 40 days and nights alone on the Pawnee National Grassland in Weld County. Investigators said the dog probably protected her master's body by keeping coyotes away.

"She's been such a good dog. I knew that if she was there, she was doing her best to take care of Jake," said Baysinger's wife, Sara Baysinger.

The family credits Cash for helping authorities find the missing man and helping to bring closure to the family.

"It was a relief to know that there's an end and that we still have a part of Jake," Sara said.

Jake Baysinger was reported missing on June 28, and authorities said they believe he died that day. An extensive aerial search failed to locate him, but rancher Kip Konig spotted Cash last weekend. Konig went to investigate and discovered Baysinger's body and his pickup.

Konig said Cash kept running back to the pickup and jumping into the front seat.

"I got the sense she was trying to tell me where her master was," Konig said.

Cash was checked out at the Weld County Humane Society and then reunited with Sara and Jake's 2-year-old son, Lane, on Monday.

"We need to put some weight on her. She's a big dog and looks too skinny," Sara said.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Unhappy Beats this one...

Unfed puppies maul man suffering cancer
    A 55-year-old terminal cancer patient is in critical condition after being mauled by unfed pit-bull puppies in his Parkland home, where...

By Noelene Clark

Seattle Times staff reporter

A 55-year-old terminal cancer patient is in critical condition after being mauled by unfed pit-bull puppies in his Parkland home, where investigators found 27 dogs of various ages and breeds.

Investigators believe Michael Warner, who weighs about 100 pounds, was left unattended on the floor in his home in the 12100 block of Sixth Avenue East.

Pierce County deputies arrested a relative of Warner's and the relative's friend, who were acting as his caretakers, on suspicion of criminal mistreatment and obstruction of justice Saturday night. Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said police are also investigating a large amount of missing prescription medication belonging to Warner.

No charges have been filed.

The relative's friend brought Warner to Tacoma General Hospital over the weekend, saying he had been abandoned by his caretakers, Troyer said.

It became obvious to hospital staff members that Warner had suffered from dog bites.

"The dogs didn't attack him," Troyer said. "He was down, and they used him as a food source. They were puppies and didn't know any better."

Warner remains in critical condition, unable to communicate with investigators, Troyer said.

The caretakers attempted to "clean up and cover up" the scene at Warner's home, Troyer said. The home was "nasty" and "unfit for human habitation," he said, with dogs living any place they could find.

The 27 dogs found in Warner's house are in quarantine at the Humane Society for Tacoma.

The relative remains in the Pierce County Jail on an unrelated charge. The friend has been released.

Noelene Clark: 206-464-2321 or nclark@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

My personal opinion is that people who dress their pit bulls in ballet tutus or a dachshund up as a hot dog and the like are the reason carnivorous animals kill and eat their owners.

Thread Information