Default RIP - Marlin John Miller - Life Member of Ft Washington Fire Company, PA

Marlin J. Miller of Fort Washington died June 30, 2008, at his home surrounded by his family. He was 86. He died of Asbestotis.
    He was the husband of the late Doris E. (May) Miller, she died April4, 2008. He was born in Philadelphia to the late Maynard E. and Elizabeth B. (Katzmann) Miller.
    Mr. Miller was a graduate of Olney High School, Class of 1940, and attended Drexel University. He was formerly employed by Link Belt Co. of Philadelphia and Selas Co. of Dresher and Philadelphia. He also worked for Tri-Kris of Lansdale as a plant superintendent for more than 27 years until his retirement in 1987.
    Mr. Miller was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, serving from 1942 to 1952 during World War II and the Korean War as a gunnery sergeant and power plant maintenance chief working on airplanes.
    Mr. Miller was a volunteer fireman and a life member of Fort Washington Fire Co., which he joined in 1954. He was third assistant chief from 1956-58, second assistant chief from 1959-71, and first assistant chief from 1972-81. He also held various elected positions such as treasurer, was on the board of directors, and was a fire company educator and mentor for many years. He was also a life member of the Montgomery County Detachment and Central Bucks Detachment of the Marine Corps League; of the Fire Chiefs Association of Montgomery County; the PA LST Association; the VFW Post #175 Doylestown; and the U.S. Navy League. Mr.
    Miller was a Civil War buff and historian, was a train enthusiast, avid fisherman, avid NASCAR fan, Phillies and Eagles fan, and enjoyed Disney. He traveled extensively throughout the United States and Canada with his family.
    He is survived by three daughters, Carol A. Miller and Marilyn J. Miller, both of Fort Washington, and Gail E. Walter of Blue Bell; three grandchildren; and a brother, Maynard Miller of Warminster. He was predeceased by a brother, Harry Miller.

Our Daddy (as he always likes to be called) has passed away and has now joined the ranks of other fellow Marines. He was a Veteran of both World War II (Espiritu Santo, Munda, Bougainville, Green Islands, Emirau Island, & PELELIU) and the Korean campaigns. He got out of the Corps at the end of the Korean campaign as a Gunnery Sergeant but still needed excitement and camaraderie in his life so he became a Volunteer Fire Fighter in his home town of Fort Washington, Pa. With all the Battles he fought the last was the worse, Asbestosis. Daddy has left an indelible mark on everyone he has ever met-even those who never knew him. To some he is loving, funny, witty, or daring -- to some he is the best son, brother, cousin, loved-one, Father, Friend, Godfather, Marine, Fire Fighter or person they have ever known. We realized that Daddy is not gone. We just can’t see him anymore. He let us know in so many ways that he is still with us. That was the first miracle and there are many more to come. We always knew how blessed we were to have him and we still are blessed. Daddy was always here for everyone in life and now he is our Guardian Angel forever.

He loved this saying and he knew he made a difference -

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The MARINES don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan – 1985

Although it is so hard to say goodbye, we know that God’s loving arms were open wide to welcome Him home. We’ll be seeing you, our wonderfully loving Daddy and Pop-Pop. We Love you !!! Although, we may not have you with us, all the Memories from his Marine Corps life, his Fire Fighting life and Life in general will be in our Hearts forever and ever!!!

The Daughters and Grand Children of
    Marlin J. Miller, Fort Washington, Pa 19034
    Carol, Marilyn and Gail - Daughters
    Christopher and Michelle – Grandchildren

I was that which others did not want to be, I went where others feared to go and did what others failed to do, I asked nothing from those that gave nothing and reluctantly accepted the thought of eternal loneliness should I fail, I have cried, pained and hoped; but most of all I have lived times others would say are best forgotten. At least every day I can be proud of what I was and will ALWAYS be..."A United States Marine!"
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by marilynmiller6; 08-14-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Forum Member

My condolences to you and your family, Marilyn. I love the photo of him in his gear.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Thread Information