Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question EMT-B courses Yay or nay...?

I need some advice....

I have recently pass Firefighter entry Exams with a few Departments....And I'm in the process of CPAT...Polygraph...etc....rece ntly I recieved a message stating that my local community college will have EMT-B course's in the fall....

the classes are about 3 monthes long and cost $700-$800.....

I'm thinking about signing up...will this help me get a badge much faster....?
    I know most departments are looking for EMT-I or better....since its just a basic course will it help me in the long run?

thought.....and THANKS....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    I need some advice....

I have recently pass Firefighter entry Exams with a few Departments....And I'm in the process of CPAT...Polygraph...etc....rece ntly I recieved a message stating that my local community college will have EMT-B course's in the fall....

the classes are about 3 monthes long and cost $700-$800.....

I'm thinking about signing up...will this help me get a badge much faster....?
    I know most departments are looking for EMT-I or better....since its just a basic course will it help me in the long run?

thought.....and THANKS....
    Yes, it will help you. Many departments will allow you to test without an EMT, they will not hire you without it. With your EMT and some ambulance time it gives you a chance to see the EMS side (which is the biggest part of most departments) and if it's for you. With an EMT you will be able to take more tests and give a department the convidence you have already obtained some hands on skills.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Yes, it will help you. Many departments will allow you to test without an EMT, they will not hire you without it. With your EMT and some ambulance time it gives you a chance to see the EMS side (which is the biggest part of most departments) and if it's for you. With an EMT you will be able to take more tests and give a department the convidence you have already obtained some hands on skills.
    thanks man...

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    the classes are about 3 monthes long and cost $700-$800......
    I love living in an area (and I know Harve does too) where fire & EMS training is provided free of charge. I only wish it was offered everywhere.

Anyway, yes, take the EMT class, you'll generally be more favored than someone who doesn't have it.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber USMCFFighter's Avatar

Also, the flip side to getting your EMT-B is you'll be more at ease on a medical call. You arrive on scene and the PT presents with severe chest pain (pressure), 9 on pain scale, dyspnea, palpitations, with radiating pain to the jaw. Now you're not twiddling your thumbs. You know what to do and what algorithm to begin with.

Definitely a plus for actions on calls as well as getting hired in my eyes.
    "Once You Find Something You Enjoy Doing, Then It's No Longer Work!"

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue"-Adm. Nimitz about Marines in the Battle of Iwo Jima

Thread Information