MembersZone Subscriber

Default Albemarle County, VA

Other than what's available on their website, does anybody have any insight into Albemarle County Fire & Resuce?

Anyone work for them or applied with them before?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
    Other than what's available on their website, does anybody have any insight into Albemarle County Fire & Resuce?

Anyone work for them or applied with them before?
    They were hiring a Fire MArshal a few months back with a starting slary of about $33K. I can't imagine what they are paying FF.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bumping thread.....

MembersZone Subscriber

I applied with them 8-10 years ago...at that time it was one of the fastest growing areas of virginia. I would imagine that if you were looking for job security then it would be great, I dont know how much fire they get though?

Im my experience everyone there was really friendly and you cant beat the area for the outdoors.
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Is gaire cabhair de na an doras

Virtete et Valare Luceo Non Uro

Forum Member

I volunteered in albemarle for 3 years (left a year ago). I love the Charlottesville area. The department is def. growing. Right now there are two 24 hour staffed career stations (one is brand new) and several stations that are volunteer stations staffed Mon. - Fri 6am-6pm. Last I heard there were two other stations in the works, a new ladder truck etc. While I was there the hiring was pretty competitive.

As far as fires it depended a lot where in the county you were. You can check their calls online when you're bored sometime:

http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/fids/fids.php

Also the city of Charlottesville has its own department, the county and city end up running a lot of things together because they're right on top of each other... but its another place to look

Forum Member

a buddy of mine worked there, went to fairfax county, then went back during fairfax's recruit school

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by haskins View Post
    I volunteered in albemarle for 3 years (left a year ago). I love the Charlottesville area. The department is def. growing. Right now there are two 24 hour staffed career stations (one is brand new) and several stations that are volunteer stations staffed Mon. - Fri 6am-6pm. Last I heard there were two other stations in the works, a new ladder truck etc. While I was there the hiring was pretty competitive.

As far as fires it depended a lot where in the county you were. You can check their calls online when you're bored sometime:

http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/fids/fids.php

Also the city of Charlottesville has its own department, the county and city end up running a lot of things together because they're right on top of each other... but its another place to look
    Do the vollys and career guys get along pretty well? Does their combo system work pretty well?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    a buddy of mine worked there, went to fairfax county, then went back during fairfax's recruit school
    Did he like Albemarle better? What did he like? Anything good or bad would be helpful.

Forum Member

On a day to day basis the careers and volunteers get along well.

On the bad side there are a few big ego career guys and a few old school angry volunteers, but I don't think that can be avoided. The career side has been growing pretty rapidly and that has led to some political struggles and friction at the chief level as the landscape of the fire service has changed.

On the good side, I (and many others) were very comfortable being at the station and riding with the career guys. We were able to fill in spots on the crew if a career guy had to run down to headquarters, or if he had to ride the ambulance in to the hospital etc.

So, long story short, I always felt like relationships were good, but there was the occasional friction.

i volunteer with one of the ACFR stations and all of the mixed stations have different hours

at mine, there are usually 3-4 paid guys 0600 to 1800 mon-fri...rest is volunteer...and everyone gets along VERY well...

at some of the others, there are paid guys on 24/7 and they have volunteers supplementing them

also, some of the paid guys move around...i see some guys go from 6 (stony point) to 8 (seminole...my station) to 11 (monticello)

ACFR is a great county to live in and work for, mainly because the relation i've seen with the paid guys and volunteers...ALSO the city of charlottesville is it's own dept, but a lot of the fires we run also have the city engines on them...both dept's get along and work together really well

i've heard stories of some other counties in virginia and maryland where the volunteers clash with the paid guys, and that's just stupid

Thread Information