1. #26
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    If you like EMS, become and EMT and maybe go paramedic. When you get certified, get on with FDNY EMS as a civil service employee and move into the city. When the next open exam comes up you'll have the 5 extra points for residency. Study as hard as you did for EMT class on the written test and youll score high enough to be in one of the earlier classes. Then when you get on open competitive, youll already have a pension established with the city (at least last time I checked). And then you can volunteer the necessary hours to keep your certs somewhere during your proby year (can't have a second job first year on). When your year is up, EMS at a hospital or private service can be your second job and you wont have to hustle for odd jobs. Makes sense and makes everyone happy right?

    thanks man...what I plan on doing...maybe its politics...but I bust my butt in everything I do....

    I live in NYC...I've lived here all my life....I just think labeling a guy that came from EMT to FF as a bad firefighter or lazy is ridiculous because he took the backdoor option.....

    anyway GOOD LUCK to everyone....

  2. #27
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    When you get certified, get on with FDNY EMS as a civil service employee and move into the city. When the next open exam comes up you'll have the 5 extra points for residency.
    Amazingly EMS does not have a residency requirement like FD side does.

    Do I need to be a New York City resident to work as a Paramedic or EMT with the FDNY?
    Answer: No, Paramedics and EMTs do not have a residency requirement.

    Do you have to be a New York City resident to be a NYC Firefighter?
    Answer: No. However, you must live in Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Nassau or Suffolk County if you do not reside in the five boroughs of New York City.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 08-17-2008 at 02:36 PM.

  3. #28
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    98

    Default Do what it takes

    Do whatever it takes to get the job you want. Accross the country there are people doing whatever it takes to get the job. If you were in California or most cities west of the mississippi you would not be considered unless you have your EMT, FF1 and experience in a Fire or EMS system. It all comes down to the interview in almost any other department in the country. The civil service system is out dated in most palces but seems to work in the FDNY.

    It shouldn't matter if you get on FDNY as a banker, plumber, janator, farmer or a former FDNY EMT if the academy serves a purpose you will not see the firehouse if you cant cut it. The only argument these FDNY FFs have is that the instructors are pushing through sub-par rookies. You can come in any door that is available but it should be understood that everyone has to perform in the academy and if you cant, you should be cut.

    I would rather have a candidate who has some experience working in my EMS system and in my city and in a division of my department then some candidate that just took the test and has no f'in clue what the fire service is about but took some BS written test and scored well enough to get an offer. Further I would rater have a candidate that would do anything to be a part of my crew.

    Go the EMS way and dont look back. Keep your goal in mind but understand even through EMS it can take up to 3 years to get in the academy. Do not let these guys get between you and your dream job just because they didn't get in the same way. Do whatever it takes to get the career in the best department in the world or else you will some day regret it. Bases on the written (6019) test you can study all you want to do your best but it is a crap shoot if you do well enough on it. Dont take the chance.

  4. #29
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by residents View Post
    The only argument these FDNY FFs have is that the instructors are pushing through sub-par rookies.
    Possibly the most uninformed sentence I've read in the last 20 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #30
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    PLZ.....I'm studying hard to be a great EMT maybe a future paramedic....isn't that required for the FF position...so why I'm a risk to you and your brothers safety...?
    What does PLZ mean? Are you functionally illiterate? I understand spelling errors but....?

    If you want to be a great EMT or Paramedic..please join the FDNY EMS to be a great EMT or paramedic...lord knows they need some more.(If you were a relative of mine I would tell you to apply anywhere in the USA before you apply to FDNY EMS as the pay and job sucks) But in any case don't waste their time by using EMS as a Halfway house...you could do much better taking the OC and working in the private sector getting perhaps Journeyman status in another union(this will help you in many ways down the road.)

    I suppose from reading your comments, you've never applied to the FDNY or even bothered to exert the least amount of effort to find out that we are CFR-D NOT EMT's and NOT Medics.

    If you want to be on a fire department as a fireman that allows you to explore, expand and reward the many aspects of nursing and EMS...Don't waste your time and don't come here...we don't give two sh*ts.

    I want to be a FF...I'm not lying or doing anything decieving to get the position...is it illegal...?...is it prohibitedů NO...so why the sour grapes?...
    Its not sour grapes son, it you are doing something manipulative to get on the job ahead of others, quite possibly, using history as a guide, with much lower scores than that of those on the Open competitive. You clearly are very slow and very naive not to see or understand why the "promotional"
    is in place.

    I've done the research on the drop outs in a class with promotionals and a class without....want to take a guess at which one is a complete waste of my tax dollars? If you are into the environment, Do you know how many forests they had to level to print the Dept Orders with additional pages of drop-outs heading back from whence they came?

    why do you think I will be a horrible FF because I opted to to study my butt off and pass a EMT course with the FDNY that I will have to pass regardless in the future?
    Once again perhaps you should spend less time sticking your foot in your mouth and more time reading the notice of examination. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO PASS THE EMT EXAM AS A NYC FIREMAN.

    if its so bad and dishonorable and made terrible FF's why they continue to have promotional exams?...allowing more EMT's to become firefighters?.....come on....now i'm not worthy of being a firefighter cuz I chose to become an EMT first....
    Do we really need to hold your hand through this entire journey? Are you 12 Years old?

    nonsense....
    The only nonsense I can see is a barely educated, ignorant dope who has some of the worst communication skills ever seen on these forums...spelling phoneticly???, do your parents know you are playing on the internet unsupervised?

    Wake up kid you have a lot to learn in life.

    FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 08-18-2008 at 12:19 AM.

  6. #31
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    What does PLZ mean? Are you functionally illiterate? I understand spelling errors but....?

    If you want to be a great EMT or Paramedic..please join the FDNY EMS to be a great EMT or paramedic...lord knows they need some more.(If you were a relative of mine I would tell you to apply anywhere in the USA before you apply to FDNY EMS as the pay and job sucks) But in any case don't waste their time by using EMS as a Halfway house...you could do much better taking the OC and working in the private sector getting perhaps Journeyman status in another union(this will help you in many ways down the road.)

    I suppose from reading your comments, you've never applied to the FDNY or even bothered to exert the least amount of effort to find out that we are CFR-D NOT EMT's and NOT Medics.

    If you want to be on a fire department as a fireman that allows you to explore, expand and reward the many aspects of nursing and EMS...Don't waste your time and don't come here...we don't give two sh*ts.



    Its not sour grapes son, it you are doing something manipulative to get on the job ahead of others, quite possibly, using history as a guide, with much lower scores than that of those on the Open competitive. You clearly are very slow and very naive not to see or understand why the "promotional"
    is in place.

    I've done the research on the drop outs in a class with promotionals and a class without....want to take a guess at which one is a complete waste of my tax dollars? If you are into the environment, Do you know how many forests they had to level to print the Dept Orders with additional pages of drop-outs heading back from whence they came?



    Once again perhaps you should spend less time sticking your foot in your mouth and more time reading the notice of examination. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO PASS THE EMT EXAM AS A NYC FIREMAN.



    Do we really need to hold your hand through this entire journey? Are you 12 Years old?


    The only nonsense I can see is a barely educated, ignorant dope who has some of the worst communication skills ever seen on these forums...spelling phoneticly???, do your parents know you are playing on the internet unsupervised?

    Wake up kid you have a lot to learn in life.

    FTM-PTB
    .................................................
    Last edited by PropheticPoet83; 08-18-2008 at 10:42 AM.

  7. #32
    Forum Member
    edge1317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PropheticPoet83 View Post
    do you know me...NO...so PLZ (please) calm down and step off your soapbox....
    PLZ stop using PLZ, you sound like a 12 year old girl. PLZ? THX.

    You got your answer from the FDNY guys that are on the job and deal with the EMS backdoor. Don't whine because you don't like what you heard. Heck, a little searching in this forum and you could have avoided getting your feelings hurt.

  8. #33
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    PLZ stop using PLZ, you sound like a 12 year old girl. PLZ? THX.

    You got your answer from the FDNY guys that are on the job and deal with the EMS backdoor. Don't whine because you don't like what you heard. Heck, a little searching in this forum and you could have avoided getting your feelings hurt.
    no one is complaining...i was wrong and I can accept that...and the FDNY guys who are on the job explained it to me....I shut up and listened....some departments do things differently....
    Last edited by PropheticPoet83; 08-18-2008 at 04:15 AM.

  9. #34
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, NY, USA
    Posts
    83

    Default

    don't you have to be in EMS for 2 years before you can take the promotional? If that's the case, if your willing to deal with the FDNY EMS bullsh*t for 2 years AND make it through the academy then i think you could turn out to be an ok FF. I'm not a fan of the backdoor route either as i'm on the open competitive list but dealing with EMS bullcrap for 2 years to get on the job is a sacrifice i'm not willing to make. Hell i'll wait 8 years before i take the EMS job. I hear that job is one of the worst in the city. You get paid less than sanitation and you deal with a ton of BS.
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

  10. #35
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    My original inquiry started because I did not take the last OC exam, and it looks like the next one wouldn't be until 2011. I keep hearing "you want the job, go get it". So wouldn't taking a route that would help me get there be better than sitting on my thumbs from now until 2011? I didn't bring this up because I wanted to see how I could get a 70 on the written, finish the CPAT in 10:19, run the 1.5 in 11:59 and still make it onto the job. Really my question was is busting my a55 as an EMT, putting my time in there worse than staying at my desk job and waiting for the next OC exam? I wasn't trying to start World War III here. Maybe some people have used it as a "backdoor", but if a guy can hang with you does it matter where he came from?

  11. #36
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    42

    Default

    hopeful not to get too personal but why didnt you take the last test in 07

  12. #37
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mike13310 View Post
    hopeful not to get too personal but why didnt you take the last test in 07
    Mike, no problem. I was a stupid "kid" (not that I'm so old and wise now), but, I had just graduated from college, was about $25k in debt because of that, I figured I owed it to myself to at least try to put my degree to good use. I did that, and it wasn't for me. Yeah, maybe I could have took the last exam as a fall back anyway, but I didn't want to half *** my effort, and despite some peoples feelings that this is a "backdoor" move, I wouldn't half *** this either.

  13. #38
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I am new on here but, I have a question?

    If you are new to the area and you don't have a FF job then why is it so bad to go the EMS route untill you can get a job within the fire department. It seems NY and NJ is very hard to get a job because of residency requirements and civil service exams. I can see that some Sh** bags are beating the system but I don't think it's fair to say that all people who do that would not be a good brother and bust their A** to protect you and your family.

    No disrespect to anyone but, I just don't understand?

  14. #39
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sfdtruck1medic View Post
    I am new on here but, I have a question?

    If you are new to the area and you don't have a FF job then why is it so bad to go the EMS route untill you can get a job within the fire department. It seems NY and NJ is very hard to get a job because of residency requirements and civil service exams. I can see that some Sh** bags are beating the system but I don't think it's fair to say that all people who do that would not be a good brother and bust their A** to protect you and your family.

    No disrespect to anyone but, I just don't understand?
    sfdtruck, from what I've read it looks like a few guys have gotten through the process quicker, with worse test results than guys who took the open competitive exam and scored better. In my opinion if you were doing this to avoid waiting 6 years, and to get some experience in the FDNY beforehand, rather than trying to find an "easier" way in, it's not bas bad. That's just my opinion though, and keep in mind I'm not on with FDNY so while I think it's not as bad, apparently that's not the popular opinion.

  15. #40
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Correct me if I am wrong, but these EMT's who backdoor their way into the job still have to go to the Rock, and graduate before they are put on the line. Therefore they are the same as every other firefighter on the job, no? Because if they weren't qualified, then the instructors at the Rock wouldn't have passed them, right? So how are these firefighters different than anyone else? They didn't do anything wrong. Taking the open competitive exam is one option to getting appointed, taking the promotional from EMT or Cop to FF is another. You may not like the politics of the system, but don't take it out on someone who uses an option that is available to anyone. I am not saying that I agree with the system, but it's there, and if someone uses it, who am I or anyone else to blame him/her for using it. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

  16. #41
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFDLadder1 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but these EMT's who backdoor their way into the job still have to go to the Rock, and graduate before they are put on the line. Therefore they are the same as every other firefighter on the job, no? Because if they weren't qualified, then the instructors at the Rock wouldn't have passed them, right? So how are these firefighters different than anyone else? They didn't do anything wrong. Taking the open competitive exam is one option to getting appointed, taking the promotional from EMT or Cop to FF is another. You may not like the politics of the system, but don't take it out on someone who uses an option that is available to anyone. I am not saying that I agree with the system, but it's there, and if someone uses it, who am I or anyone else to blame him/her for using it. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    SF it can also come back to bite someone as it did recently when a few guys who were to be promoted from EMT to FF were told they couldn't go into the academy as the EMT unit couldn't afford to lose that many people at once. It's definitely a risk.

  17. #42
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I would love to someday be on the job on any company but I have heard that members that take this approach are often not put on the more "sought after" companies for fire duty, but i'm not sure how company assingments are dictated.

  18. #43

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    this is ridiculous!!! i cant believe some people are ridiculing someone for becoming an EMT on the FDNY to get a fire job!!! someone that takes the time and spends the money to go to college and get their NREMT and go through the year long process to get hired on to EMS, wait about 2 to 3 years and then get hired as a firefighter. in my eyes the guys that "backdoor" their way in are working harder and are doing more to get in, to me that shows more motivation and dedication!!! whatever, what do i know, right?

    i joined the united states navy as a hospital corpsman ( if you dont know what that is look it up and learn) and am currently preparing to deploy with my marines to afghanistan... i joined the military specifically to make myself better and more competitive for the fire service... after my time in the navy is done i might just go to FDNY as a paramedic and then try to get the fire position... am i wrong for doing this? its only taking about 10 years to accomplish my goal.... of FDNY FF. even if i could take and pass the competitive FF test i think i would rather go into FDNY EMS just to get the experience, to know what its like to work in EMS, to know what its like to be **** on by everybody, civilians, FFs, and sometime actual ****. if you guys think im "backdooring my way in just tell me please"

  19. #44
    FDNY73
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Exclamation

    I am planning to go "backdoor'' as well. I have read the comments on here, both positive and negative about going this route in the FDNY. I am a strong believer in the backdoor option. They wouldn't have it as an option if it was wrong, like someone else said, its not against the law or violating any rules! It's on the FDNY website for god sakes!

    So since I plan on doing the same exact thing, I think its totally fine going backdoor. It's not a slacker way of becoming an FDNY Firefighter. Lots of guys do it every year, and I have personally talked with some FDNY Firefighter's and EMT's and neither of them have any problem with someone who chooses to go this way.

    I think someone who goes this way isn't necessarily "better'' than the traditional way, but they certainly aren't worse. They are willing to give up 2-4 years of their lives on a EMS rig getting lousy pay, and possibly not entirely "loving" their job. They are willing to work in crappy places, get lousy calls, and put up with a lot of stuff just for that one dream = To be a Fireman for New York City, the greatest job on earth. Once again I say, they are willing to do all this and put aside some years of life for their dream, just like its my dream! I personally wont mind being an EMT for a couple years, I like firefighting better, but EMS aint to bad, especially in NYC, those guys are badass! Hell, they are issued bullet proof vests out of the academy! It takes some balls to work in some NYC neighborhoods, responding to shootings, stabbings and god knows what. And plus, they are still FDNY!! They are still brothers and we should respect someone and congratulate them for doing something to get them on the department faster! Someone who is willing to do anything to join the brotherhood of the FDNY as quick as possible shouldn't be ridiculed, but respected.

    Thank you.
    God Bless all FDNY, both Fire and EMS.

  20. #45
    FDNY73
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HNcorpsman View Post
    this is ridiculous!!! i cant believe some people are ridiculing someone for becoming an EMT on the FDNY to get a fire job!!! someone that takes the time and spends the money to go to college and get their NREMT and go through the year long process to get hired on to EMS, wait about 2 to 3 years and then get hired as a firefighter. in my eyes the guys that "backdoor" their way in are working harder and are doing more to get in, to me that shows more motivation and dedication!!! whatever, what do i know, right?

    i joined the united states navy as a hospital corpsman ( if you dont know what that is look it up and learn) and am currently preparing to deploy with my marines to afghanistan... i joined the military specifically to make myself better and more competitive for the fire service... after my time in the navy is done i might just go to FDNY as a paramedic and then try to get the fire position... am i wrong for doing this? its only taking about 10 years to accomplish my goal.... of FDNY FF. even if i could take and pass the competitive FF test i think i would rather go into FDNY EMS just to get the experience, to know what its like to work in EMS, to know what its like to be **** on by everybody, civilians, FFs, and sometime actual ****. if you guys think im "backdooring my way in just tell me please"
    Finally I agree with someone! I think your totally right. Either way, backdoor or not, you shouldn't be treated any different or ridiculed. By doing EMS first (as I plan to do) and then promoting, you are gaining so much more! Would you rather have someone on your crew who applied for FDNY Fire, and then sat on their *** for 4 years waiting for the call. Or would you rather have someone who went to college, got their EMT, moved to NYC and is still considered FDNY??? By doing EMS first you learn the city and what it takes to make it in it, you learn about the FDNY, both EMS and Fire, and you learn how it all works! I cant see how someone can say this is worse than sitting on your *** waiting for the phone to ring.
    By doing the backdoor way, you show motiviation and dedication. You are willing to get sh*t by a TON of people, FDNY and civilians on for any number of years just so you can join the FDNY Brotherhood. If that's not dedication, I dont know what is.

  21. #46
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Well Said!!!

  22. #47
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY73 View Post
    Finally I agree with someone! I think your totally right. Either way, backdoor or not, you shouldn't be treated any different or ridiculed. By doing EMS first (as I plan to do) and then promoting, you are gaining so much more! Would you rather have someone on your crew who applied for FDNY Fire, and then sat on their *** for 4 years waiting for the call. Or would you rather have someone who went to college, got their EMT, moved to NYC and is still considered FDNY??? By doing EMS first you learn the city and what it takes to make it in it, you learn about the FDNY, both EMS and Fire, and you learn how it all works! I cant see how someone can say this is worse than sitting on your *** waiting for the phone to ring.
    By doing the backdoor way, you show motiviation and dedication. You are willing to get sh*t by a TON of people, FDNY and civilians on for any number of years just so you can join the FDNY Brotherhood. If that's not dedication, I dont know what is.
    EXACTLY! Also, many of the more prominent depts require their firefighters to cross train as emt's or medics, and ride the box quite often. For those FDNY ff's who dislike EMS, they aren't forced to do it, other than an occasional backup for the medics(boosts your call volume, allowing justification for more ff positions). FDNY EMS takes care of the medical side, allowing you to do strictly suppression. IMO, working EMS, then being promoted to ff("backdoor" sounds shady and condescending) should be viewed as paying your dues.

  23. #48
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    EXACTLY! Also, many of the more prominent depts require their firefighters to cross train as emt's or medics, and ride the box quite often. For those FDNY ff's who dislike EMS, they aren't forced to do it, other than an occasional backup for the medics(boosts your call volume, allowing justification for more ff positions). FDNY EMS takes care of the medical side, allowing you to do strictly suppression. IMO, working EMS, then being promoted to ff("backdoor" sounds shady and condescending) should be viewed as paying your dues.

    Not one of you kids knows the first thing about what you are spouting off about. You don't like our view on it...too F*cking bad...go to one of the other "prominent" depts that tolerate slackers like you who cheat and scam your way into a man's job.

    FTM-PTB

  24. #49
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Not one of you kids knows the first thing about what you are spouting off about. You don't like our view on it...too F*cking bad...go to one of the other "prominent" depts that tolerate slackers like you who cheat and scam your way into a man's job.

    FTM-PTB
    I'm currently on at another "prominent" dept. I did EMS in Queens for five years before I left. Unless you're the one doing the hiring, it really doesn't matter if I like your view on it or not.

  25. #50
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    I'm currently on at another "prominent" dept. I did EMS in Queens for five years before I left. Unless you're the one doing the hiring, it really doesn't matter if I like your view on it or not.
    It will matter when you get to a firehouse with that chip on your shoulder.

    Have some pride in yourself...if you are afraid of the open competitive, you don't belong here.
    FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 04-07-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY opinion of FDNY EMS
    By clark918 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
  2. FDNY is what I want
    By PUGS1688 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 03:28 PM
  3. FDNY is what I want
    By PUGS1688 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM
  4. fdny
    By backdraft663 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 11:36 AM
  5. how many FDNY?
    By MFDExplorer51 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2002, 11:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register