1. #76
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    You are on this job?

    FTM-PTB
    No, but I did TiVo Rescue Me last week, and will be staying at a Holiday Inn in a few weeks......
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  2. #77
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    FFFRED, I owe you an apology. I wasn't aware that an emt taking the promo exam received extra points. I thought the promo advantage was using your years on the city payroll towards retirement, only. I see what you mean by "backdoor", as you're basically leapfrogging others in the open competitive. Perhaps I should read these posts a little more thoroughly. Good NFL analogy. When I worked 46Y in Corona, the CFR's did a great job, IMO. We had some good arrests, a man under(7 train and LIRR),and some good MVA's at dead man's curve on the GCP. CFR's can get some good experience, and won't need to deal with most of the minor BS, only good jobs. When I took the EMT program a while back, some were taking CFR for FDNY at the same time, received the same lectures, and practiced the same skills as I did. The training is basically the same. I also agree that the CPAT is a joke. If anyone wants to (over)prepare, join the Lost Batalloin Hall Weightlifting Club on Queens Blvd, use www.rosstraining.com for conditioning, along with some kettlebell training.

  3. #78
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammerhome View Post
    "white collar health career field"

    first of all, I would not work as an EMT, white collar my *****, I couldn't make my mortgage as an EMT, Im getting it to be able to work as a firefighter on the west coast.

    I don't agree with the diversity, political influence on the fire departments, but I can't change it.

    I certainly don't want to pretend that I know more than you, but you are an idiot if you think that an EMT firefighter can't provide better care at the scene than a CFR FF

    I also don't believe that someone who can't pass the regular exam should be let in, my argument isn't with the process its with your idea that an EMT firefighter isn't up to par.

    Maybe your co-workers are slipping through the cracks, thats an institutional problem, not a problem with EMT's.

    Could you even pass the CPAT at your advanced state?
    Frak off.
    You really need to stop weighing in on something you know nothing about here.
    And now you resort to insults. Very mature. You'd last long at any firehouse.

  4. #79
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    ffhh74-

    I agree 100%, that's not my argument. The backdoor part would bother me as well. My argument is with the generalization that the EMT's aren't useful, or however you want to paraphrase what fred said.

    ffbam24-

    why don't you fully read the posts, the insults are responses to FFFred's little quips.

    edpmedic-

    the CPAT is a joke, hopefully the academy will weed those that aren't supposed to be in, out.

    kettlebells are great if anyone is looking to add to their routine, you can get a full body workout with just two or three different ones.

    FFFRED- im not trying to argue your point about "lumps of $hit" getting on, I'd try and show the same lumps the door, but being an EMT doesn't make you a lump, then your calling all your west of the rockies brothers lumps and that $hit wont stick.

    Juniors had a long day of moonlighting and gotta get back to the books..

  5. #80
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default Paramedics

    While I have looked at the idea of trying for FDNY I don't want to "backdoor" my way into the department.

    How do the firefighters view a paramedic coming through vs an EMT? Is it EMS is EMS and it is all the same no matter what your cert says. Paramedic school is much harder than a civil service exam and contrary to much of the recent press some of us paramedics are in excellent shape that far surpasses the CPAT standards (I have my own opinions on the CPAT and how easy it is).

    So let me put out a hypothetical situation. Say I work for the FDNY EMS as a paramedic until can take a promotional test. Say I am smart enough to pass the written and I am in awesome shape and pass the physical both well above this 70% number I keep seeing. And say I :do well in the academy and do my job on probation- I am still "square rooting" my way to the job? or am I just taking advantage of using my education to get the job I want?


    I live on the west coast where it is getting to the point that an EMT certifcation is not enough to be competitive and everything is fire based EMS. So unless FDNY switches to fire based EMS (highly unlikely from what I have researched) a paramedic would almost be making an entire career change going from an ALS provider to a CFR-D.

    Maybe its just me being used to how the process works on the other side of the country and the east coast is entirely different. But if I get extra points for being a paramedic- why should that be any different than legacy, residency, or veteran points. The only difference I can see (so correct me if I am wrong) is that why should the FDNY give prefference to EMTs/Paramedics if they are switching to a job where they will not be working as anything more than a CFR-D

  6. #81
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammerhome View Post
    ffhh74-

    I agree 100%, that's not my argument. The backdoor part would bother me as well. My argument is with the generalization that the EMT's aren't useful, or however you want to paraphrase what fred said.

    ffbam24-

    why don't you fully read the posts, the insults are responses to FFFred's little quips.

    edpmedic-

    the CPAT is a joke, hopefully the academy will weed those that aren't supposed to be in, out.

    kettlebells are great if anyone is looking to add to their routine, you can get a full body workout with just two or three different ones.

    FFFRED- im not trying to argue your point about "lumps of $hit" getting on, I'd try and show the same lumps the door, but being an EMT doesn't make you a lump, then your calling all your west of the rockies brothers lumps and that $hit wont stick.

    Juniors had a long day of moonlighting and gotta get back to the books..

    My "quips" have to do with NYC, the FDNY EMS and the civil service laws that are applicable to NYC and NYS...this as I said before has NOTHING to do with the west coast, whatever you ladies do on the left coast has no bearing on me or my family...you could all be certified proctologists for all I care. You don't know most of the facts surounding the discussion and you are a distraction at best. You aren't a fireman and nothing says you ever will be. Shut your mouth and move on.

    FTM-PTB

  7. #82
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammerhome View Post
    ffhh74-

    I agree 100%, that's not my argument. The backdoor part would bother me as well. My argument is with the generalization that the EMT's aren't useful, or however you want to paraphrase what fred said.

    ffbam24-

    why don't you fully read the posts, the insults are responses to FFFred's little quips.

    edpmedic-

    the CPAT is a joke, hopefully the academy will weed those that aren't supposed to be in, out.

    kettlebells are great if anyone is looking to add to their routine, you can get a full body workout with just two or three different ones.

    FFFRED- im not trying to argue your point about "lumps of $hit" getting on, I'd try and show the same lumps the door, but being an EMT doesn't make you a lump, then your calling all your west of the rockies brothers lumps and that $hit wont stick.

    Juniors had a long day of moonlighting and gotta get back to the books..
    How to make friends and p!ss people off in 20 posts or less.

  8. #83
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    whatever you ladies do on the left coast has no bearing on me or my family...you could all be certified proctologists for all I care.
    FTM-PTB
    good one. what are you a bell ringer too?

    from how it sounds, you got in when it was easy.

    with friends and roll models like these who needs enemies.

  9. #84
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammerhome View Post
    good one. what are you a bell ringer too?

    from how it sounds, you got in when it was easy.

    with friends and roll models like these who needs enemies.
    I don't know what that means and it has no relation to the TOPIC which is the FDNY EMS promotional.

    You aren't a fireman, you don't know what is being discussed here and you are still in nursing school...go troll elsewhere kid.

    FTM-PTB

  10. #85
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    I don't know what that means and it has no relation to the TOPIC which is the FDNY EMS promotional.

    You aren't a fireman, you don't know what is being discussed here and you are still in nursing school...go troll elsewhere kid.

    FTM-PTB
    Did he say he was still in nursing school or he was still nursing while he was at school?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  11. #86
    Truckie
    SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    hammerhome: Another poser polluting the forums of firefighters.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  12. #87
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Does any one know When the next promotional exam is and a wild guess as to when the regular exam would be. The reason I ask is I am 26 turning 27 soon and was curious if I even have a shot. I am from brooklyn. Sorry if I double posted but my post are not showing up, I assume because I am new and they are bein reveiwed.

  13. #88
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    Does any one know When the next promotional exam is and a wild guess as to when the regular exam would be. The reason I ask is I am 26 turning 27 soon and was curious if I even have a shot. I am from brooklyn. Sorry if I double posted but my post are not showing up, I assume because I am new and they are bein reveiwed.
    http://nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/commun...o_080106.shtml
    We anticipate the next open competitive exam will be held in January 2011
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  14. #89
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Well I will be 28 then, so that would be good. I did already check the ny gov site but wanted to hear the inside scoop.

  15. #90
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    332

    Default

    To the original poster:
    It seems like there are 2 posters here that are vehemently opposed to the EMS side promotional exam. They both claim to work for FDNY,which I have no reason to doubt, and that their opinions are representative of their dept.
    So if someone posts that they talked to 15 FDNY guys at a bar last night, and 13 said they didn't give a crap how ff's get hired as long as the ff can do the job, does that prove the 2 posters wrong?
    It's all someone's opinion.
    I doubt that these 2 posters have spoke to all 10,000 or so ff on the job in FDNY.
    Could it be that others on the job there have a different opinion?
    Is it possible that different stations/areas have entirely different attitudes?
    Could they even be exaggerating the whole thing to prove their own point about hiring practices?
    You have no way of knowing what these poster's true intentions are.
    I have no doubt that they feel that the promotional is wrong. I'm sure they feel very justified for that feeling, and I will not try to dissuade them from their opinion.
    In some areas I agree with them.
    But they are only voicing their OPINIONS on the Internet.

    Talk to members on the job,in person,not some faceless people on the Internet.

    Don't let 2 anonymous people on some thread, that you know NOTHING about, influence you either way on one of the most important decisions in your life.
    Ask people that you meet and respect for their opinions.

    Good Luck!

  16. #91
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Is the EMS-Fire promotional really looked down upon badly? Or is this just the view of the older firefighters on the job?

    Thanks

    SPFD
    Last edited by SPFD17; 10-08-2009 at 09:19 PM.

  17. #92

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    After reading many posts on this thread, I am surprised. Many of the recruiters for the FDNY at my school always suggest to first join the EMT, and then after a year take the promotional exam to become a FF. And someone on here also stated that taking the "backdoor" approach is for the people that cannot pass the FF tests, because they are not mentally or physically fit. They are taking the easy way out, instead of waiting like the rest of the people that take the "competitive" test. Such a statement is deemed ignorant in my opinion. I am a current NYC Beach Lifeguard and I am a college student. That being, I am in excellent physical shape, and I am intellectually inclined. I am still going the EMT route, because I can take the "competitive" exam, sit around for 4 years to wait for my number to be called, or I can go into the EMT, work for a minimum of one year, take the promotional exam and cut my wait time by almost half. For me its not about taking the easy way out, its by conserving time. In the end it is a job, its competitive, and trust me, I will do anything to get it in.

  18. #93
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Okay, here's a serious question - If there has never been a shortage of qualified applicants for the FDNY, historically speaking, then why did the FDNY institute the EMS to FF promotion in the first place? The EMS side is full of transient employees as it is, so it would seem that the dept would only be hurting itself by offering the promotional exam, facilitating an even greater turnover in an already understaffed EMS workforce. I don't see the benefit to having the promo exam. Anyone care to enlighten?

  19. #94
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    Okay, here's a serious question - If there has never been a shortage of qualified applicants for the FDNY, historically speaking, then why did the FDNY institute the EMS to FF promotion in the first place? The EMS side is full of transient employees as it is, so it would seem that the dept would only be hurting itself by offering the promotional exam, facilitating an even greater turnover in an already understaffed EMS workforce. I don't see the benefit to having the promo exam. Anyone care to enlighten?
    It all comes down to cheeseburgers.

  20. #95
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oowutt View Post
    After reading many posts on this thread, I am surprised. Many of the recruiters for the FDNY at my school always suggest to first join the EMT, and then after a year take the promotional exam to become a FF. And someone on here also stated that taking the "backdoor" approach is for the people that cannot pass the FF tests, because they are not mentally or physically fit. They are taking the easy way out, instead of waiting like the rest of the people that take the "competitive" test. Such a statement is deemed ignorant in my opinion. I am a current NYC Beach Lifeguard and I am a college student. That being, I am in excellent physical shape, and I am intellectually inclined. I am still going the EMT route, because I can take the "competitive" exam, sit around for 4 years to wait for my number to be called, or I can go into the EMT, work for a minimum of one year, take the promotional exam and cut my wait time by almost half. For me its not about taking the easy way out, its by conserving time. In the end it is a job, its competitive, and trust me, I will do anything to get it in.
    It's not that simple. You have to do a minimum of two years, during which time you have to file for civil service. If EMS is short staffed which is a serious possibility as they have trouble recruiting, they won't allow you to promote which can last anywhere from 1-3 years. However, I do see your logic, yet there are a number of variables to consider when you think EMS may be a short term gig which then turns into a lot longer wait than expected.

  21. #96
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csBlaZe97 View Post
    It all comes down to cheeseburgers.
    MMM!!!!! had some yesterday for lunch with the brothers. Wish you were here.

  22. #97
    FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNY View Post
    It's not that simple. You have to do a minimum of two years, during which time you have to file for civil service. If EMS is short staffed which is a serious possibility as they have trouble recruiting, they won't allow you to promote which can last anywhere from 1-3 years. However, I do see your logic, yet there are a number of variables to consider when you think EMS may be a short term gig which then turns into a lot longer wait than expected.
    Not to mention those guys that got pulled out of the Rock and put back on road because they were understaffed. I wonder whatever happened to them...

  23. #98
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oowutt View Post
    After reading many posts on this thread, I am surprised. Many of the recruiters for the FDNY at my school always suggest to first join the EMT, and then after a year take the promotional exam to become a FF. And someone on here also stated that taking the "backdoor" approach is for the people that cannot pass the FF tests, because they are not mentally or physically fit. They are taking the easy way out, instead of waiting like the rest of the people that take the "competitive" test. Such a statement is deemed ignorant in my opinion. I am a current NYC Beach Lifeguard and I am a college student. That being, I am in excellent physical shape, and I am intellectually inclined. I am still going the EMT route, because I can take the "competitive" exam, sit around for 4 years to wait for my number to be called, or I can go into the EMT, work for a minimum of one year, take the promotional exam and cut my wait time by almost half. For me its not about taking the easy way out, its by conserving time. In the end it is a job, its competitive, and trust me, I will do anything to get it in.
    You have to do a minimum of 2 years like Mikey said. But personally, I think that even if you end up having to do 3+ years on EMS it's still worth it, because if you pass the physical and written you still get that guaranteed spot in the Academy eventually. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone, seriously.

  24. #99
    FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default Attn: Spfd

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    I know this is an incredibly old post and forum as a whole but I am very interested in the CFD Paramedic Crossover. Wondering if you could help me out?!

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    Hey I know this is an old thread but figured some of you guys who went through the hiring process could help me out.
    ***I'm currently 17 years old (18 in Aug. 2010) and have one goal and dream to become a Firefighter for SPFD as long as I can remember. Huge SPFD buff...
    I honestly have wanted to be on SPFD for as long as I can remember, and would kill to get hired off of this hire. Anything helps. Also any questions, comments, concerns, etc. are greatly appreciated!***

    Thanks
    Not to mention posts on LAFD and the state of Illinois. A lot of us have been 17 and have been dying to be a firefighter and have wanted it to happen as QUICK AS POSSIBLE. The truth is, with these jobs, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't happen fast. You're young. Take it slow, figure out where you wanna be for the next 20-30 years of your life. You can't go hopping around to the busiest FD's out there and figure out which one you can get on the quickest. There's more to life then that. Talk to the guys on FDNY, they'll tell you it's not as glorious as it's made out to be and that you're not pulling grabs and huge fires every shift. Before you keep beating the dead horse of EMS Promo, figure out what you really want. SPFD looks to be a dual role department (FF/PM). If you wanna be a medic and you've grown up watching SPFD, why would you wanna move to these relatively foreign cities? You could top out at over $60k after 5 years NOT INCLUDING MEDIC PAY. Using this: http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html
    you're gonna need to make 93k to equal that in Queens and $124k in Manhattan.

    Take some time to grow up a little more and figure out where you want to settle down. GO TO COLLEGE if you can. Slow down bro.

  25. #100
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41

    Thumbs up

    Best advice ive read on this forum...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY opinion of FDNY EMS
    By clark918 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
  2. FDNY is what I want
    By PUGS1688 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 03:28 PM
  3. FDNY is what I want
    By PUGS1688 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM
  4. fdny
    By backdraft663 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 11:36 AM
  5. how many FDNY?
    By MFDExplorer51 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2002, 11:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register