Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Forum Member

Theres no minimum time youre required to spend in EMS. It just involves having civil service, taking the test and the fire academy starting.

As for the group shafted by the city due to ems manning levels, they were eventually invited back to the Rock. One member I know personally has since enjoyed the last few years in a busy Bronx Co.

Administrator

Default thread to close

Please be advised that due to no activity on this thread in the past 60 days, we will be closing the thread in a few days. Thank you for your participation in Firehouse.com forums.

Firehouse Web Manager

Just replying to keep it alive!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

lol nice bones.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Just replying to keep it alive!
    You should have let it die.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Theres no minimum time youre required to spend in EMS. It just involves having civil service, taking the test and the fire academy starting.
    what does it mean to have civil service and how does an emt get it?
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good God!!!

I swore I would stay outa this hornets nest but I have to comment. Guys who hate people for taking this "backdoor" rationalize by saying they took the easy road when everyone else took the hard road. Guys on the other side of the issue rationalize by saying they don't wanna just sit around to take a test, and then wait 6 years or so to get the call. Howbout this as an option (keep in mind I don't work in NYC so I could be wrong). Become an EMT as a form of employment and then take the OC with everybody else, going through the regular hiring process. This way you can be connected with the FDNY and get hired as a firefighter without getting drowned in the controversy of this socalled "promotion". And if you have to wait a while, at least you'll have a job in the meantime. Would this be acceptable?

Futhermore, I don't plan on applying to the FDNY but I will say, taking the promotional does not automatically make you a screw up, just like taking the OC and getting hired doesn't automatically make you God's gift to the fire service. In the end, everybody has to pull their weight on the fireground, where it counts.
    Last edited by merchan5967; 01-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Forum Member

Does anyone know when I join FDNY EMS how long I must be EMS until I am able to be promoted? What if im not eligible to be promoted when the test date in announced but I will be eligible by the time of hire to firefighter? Any advice on this?

I figure I can get hired by FDNY-EMS by the end of 2014-- Do you think I can take the promotion test right after im hired??

Forum Member

This has been answered many times before in multiple places. It's also fairly simple to read if you go to the DCAS website and look at the last notice of exam for the promotion. You are eligible to take the exam as a promotion the day you become a civil service EMT or paramedic. You won't be promoted until you have 2 years civil service time.

Yup agree with most of the comments here. If you want to be EMS, join EMS. If you want to be a FF then take the FF exam. If anything I think you're wasting EMS' time getting trained up for a trade you have no intention of carrying on with. I'd hate to be a paramedic that's passionate about my job and having to coach someone who couldn't give a ****.

Forum Member

Yeah its not like I wont give a sh**... My long term goal is to be a firefighter and the best way for me to do that is by joining fdny ems-- Considering im not a minority/legacy/veteran... Does anyone know if the promotional exam is different than the public open competitive exam?? If so, why?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tagzyLFB View Post
    Yup agree with most of the comments here. If you want to be EMS, join EMS. If you want to be a FF then take the FF exam. If anything I think you're wasting EMS' time getting trained up for a trade you have no intention of carrying on with. I'd hate to be a paramedic that's passionate about my job and having to coach someone who couldn't give a ****.
    While I agree with this in principal: The promotion is a terrible thing for EMS, it wastes their time over and over with training people who are just going to leave the ranks in a few years. However, it's an option and it's not your problem that it's a ****ty situation for EMS. It's a great way to ensure you have a chance at getting OTJ. Also I don't know your background, but many people who are in EMS but not interested in being firefighters still leave for many other jobs. EMS has horrendous problems with attrition of many types, not just people joining to be firefighters.

Thread Information