Forum Member

Default interview question

You are on scene with a patient. You are getting vitals at the bedside when you notice a bag of white powder under the bed along with a handgun. What do you do from here?

My answer was that I would let my captain know b/c i feel at this point the police should be involved. My number one priority is that the patient gets the attention they need.

Forum Member

Scene SAFETY first
    Then patient care.

I would let the next higher up know, whoever that may be on the scene. If it ended up being me I would remove the patient as quickly and safely as possible, making sure that I stay between the whatever it is and weapon the whole time. If the patient wants to refuse care of becomes violet I would remove myself from the situation, and radio for the cops.

The responders safety is always first. I agree that patinet care is important but things, for me, would go in this order:

My safety
    My partners safety
    Patient care

Forum Member

MTGillinois is right. I was about to say the same thing. Your first priority should be that you and your crew are safe. A bag of some sort of drug and a handgun under the bed alone won't kill you, but the type of environment that those types of items would be in obviously has a very high potential for danger. If you knew the patient was at a high risk of dying soon without immediate medical care, you probably wouldn't have been doing vitals at the scene. You would have loaded the patient the patient in the back of the ambulance and done vitals on the way to the hospital. If you're a member of a fire crew who arrived before the ambulance, there's not much you could do for the patient anyway. Either way, as cruel as this may sound, it's time to get out of there and tell the officer in charge of the scene what you found so he/she can call for police to secure the scene before you go back in.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

Forum Member

Default Scene safety!!!!!!

We had a call one evening three houses down from the station on the other side of the street. On arrival we walk into a house with a whole lot of people standing there holding guns as surprised as we were. We immediately backed out until PD arrived and secured the scene.

When I got dispatch on the air, they said they knew the situation but thought they had time to tell us before we were on the scene.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

My No.1 priority when I go to work is to go home in substantially the same condition in which I arrived. As others have said, my safety and the safety of my partner is my paramount concern. Screw the patient. back out, call for PD assistance and wait for them to secure the scene.

Yes, a scene with an unsecured handgun and a possible narcotics situation is an unsecured. scene.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MTGillinois View Post
    If the patient wants to refuse care of becomes violet....
    Wouldn't that be cyanosis? If so, then you could go with implied consent.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTGillinois View Post
    My safety
    My partners safety
    Patient care
    Always the best way to go. You cannot help if you or your partner are incapacitated.

Mind also, this was an oral board question? You don't need to jump directly at and assume the bag of white powder is drugs.

Plus, you notice this "under the bed"? Just how high up is this bed? Or why are you taking vitals while lying on the floor?

Forum Member

All of the above is great advice. I think along with the safety aspect, you may want to mention the drugs on scene may clue you into the reason for the pt. being ill. Also an indication he may display the behavior of a drug user, being unpredictable and possibly violent.

If you have worked in an area that has exposed you to working with drug users and being on calls like this, I would mention it here. Letting them know you know how to handle this situation is good, being able to say you have done it in the past would be even better.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330

Forum Member

I would let the interviewers know that I would taste the powder to see if it was powdered sugar and check the gun to see if it was really a lighter because maybe the patient was about to make frosting for a birthday cake he had in the oven, which he was making for himself because he's a diabetic and his blood sugar is low. Then, I would make sure that the oven isn't on with the cake baking, and if the cake hadn't been put in yet, I would make sure the oven isn't preheating because that could be a potential fire hazard either way. If I saw the cake was already baked and cooling on the counter, I would still make sure the oven is turned off, because someone with low blood sugar can be forgetful.

Forum Member

you all make great points...now i see the logic behind it. thank you!

Forum Member

First answer by saying..."my first concern will be for the SAFETY of myself and the crew and then the safety and care of the pt...".

Then go ahead with whatever you think that you might do regarding the situation.

SAFETY is a BIG CONCERN in these type of reviews.

And most importantly...If the interviewer is former Airforce, don't say any airforce jokes (they just cant take it).

PS...good job on the agility test.
    Last edited by FIRECAPT62; 08-19-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAPT62 View Post
    First answer by saying..."my first concern will be for the SAFETY of myself and the crew and then the safety and care of the pt...".

Then go ahead with whatever you think that you might do regarding the situation.

SAFETY is a BIG CONCERN in these type of reviews.

And most importantly...If the interviewer is former Airforce, don't say any airforce jokes (they just cant take it).

PS...good job on the agility test.
    lol thank you! i do remember that now. my two buddies are military, one army and one airforce. i wore one of his old army shirts.

Thread Information