Default I need Training Ideas for Jr. Fireman

I am in Weaverville, NC and at the high school where i go, we have a fireman's club. I am the chief of this club and i need some ideas for some training that we could do. I know of the hose maze, and maybe of some RIT training that we could do at the department i am at. Any ideas?

Forum Member

Wink

If you scroll down the main junior firefighting forum page to training ideas there is a good list in there.

Forum Member

How about try a search or do some dredging of the Forums...? There's LOTS of threads about this.

Just have to open your eyes a little bit.

http://forums.firehouse.com/search.php?searchid=631033
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Lightbulb SCBA & PPE drills

I don't know how familiar or experienced the majority of the members are, but for new guys who aren't as experienced with SCBA, give them a chance to look over an SCBA and get familiar with it. then give them a flash hood and have them put it on backwards and try to change their cylinder. Not so much a drill for someone that's done it a lot but for newer people it's a challenge. you can also do timed gear donning. Set a target time and see if they can fully don their PPE in that amount of time. Again, most people who are experienced can already do it. Nothing fancy, just some thoughts of uncomplicated training that would be easy to organize.

Forum Member

If you are an explorere in your local company, maybe try talking to whoever may be in charge of the explorers. They could show you how to hit a hydrant, hook up to an engine, how it feels to work with the hose, scba training, and maybe a little search & rescue. These are some things I have been trained in my company and it will help you along the way for the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

We usually start with equipment identification and location on the engine, after that we move on to hose/hydrant evolutions. We also ask that they take the first 3 modules of essentials of firefighting in the first year, this gives them a prety good base of knowlege to work with. First aid, CPR, Haz Mat OPS can all also be taken under 18.

Lightbulb training

you could do some ladder trainning like how to safely put them up and how to get some one down safely.
    or you could take a b-a mask and cover the outside with news paper ang get them to put the b-a on but don't hook it up then do an area search.

Thread Information