Default forcible entry training videos on youtube

Hey guys,
    Just thought I'd let you know that Bellingham fire's quarterly forcible entry training videos are now on youtube. If you do a search on youtube for "BFD forcible entry" all 5 of them should come up on top. Alternatively you could just click this link:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

I'd be happy to hear any criticisms or comments you have.
    have a good one.
    -Ryan

Forum Member

While I applaud the concept and the effort that went into making these, I have to say that the technique leaves alot to be desired.

The video of the forcing of the inward opening door (the most common type of door forcing) does not show very good technique.

First, you aren't trying to "shock load" the door initially. Striking the door in a controlled manner with the ADZ end of the halligan (not the forks as they penetrated the skin of the steel door as shown in the second half of the video) can help gap the door slightly and loosen it within a tight steel frame but more importantly it helps you determine which locks are engaged. Aggressively stabbing at the door as shown in the video will not give you this valuable information.

Secondly, the person striking the halligan shouldn't be taking rapid, baseball bat swings with the aze/maul unless you don't really value your hands!! Those strikes should be in a controlled manner with his hand up near the head of the axe to better control the tool. Use a forceful punching motion and have the person holding the halligan evaluate the tools position after each and every strike. The tool needs to constantly be moved to avoid having the forks driven into the jamb.

And finally, once the door is forced, it must be controlled if there is fire on the other side of it. While the technique of hooking the door with the halligan works great, it can really only be done effectively from the kneeling/crouching position and must be put into place BEFORE the door swings completely open. Once the door is open as far as it is shown in the video, it will most likely be too late to use that technique to grab it if there is fire showing at that door.

Again, I applaud your efforts here, but you guys need to work a little bit on that technique before these can be thought of as training videos.
    Last edited by jakesdad; 08-19-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Forum Member

Sorry.... duplicate post

MembersZone Subscriber

Ryan-

Thanks for posting the videos. It is good to see people being proactive in helping out others that may not have the opportunity. If you aren't familiar with http://www.vententersearch.com/, there are many people there who would appreciate the vids also. As an FYI, there is a link on there to download a PDF file of the FDNY Forcible Entry manual. All of Jakesdad's references are illustrated in that book. For those of you who haven't looked at the FDNY manual, or have questions about FE, it is an EXCELLENT reference with lots of good pics and drawings.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Forum Member

you can use your partner to help control the door while you force it open.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    While I applaud the concept and the effort that went into making these, I have to say that the technique leaves alot to be desired.

The video of the forcing of the inward opening door (the most common type of door forcing) does not show very good technique.

First, you aren't trying to "shock load" the door initially. Striking the door in a controlled manner with the ADZ end of the halligan (not the forks as they penetrated the skin of the steel door as shown in the second half of the video) can help gap the door slightly and loosen it within a tight steel frame but more importantly it helps you determine which locks are engaged. Aggressively stabbing at the door as shown in the video will not give you this valuable information.

Secondly, the person striking the halligan shouldn't be taking rapid, baseball bat swings with the aze/maul unless you don't really value your hands!! Those strikes should be in a controlled manner with his hand up near the head of the axe to better control the tool. Use a forceful punching motion and have the person holding the halligan evaluate the tools position after each and every strike. The tool needs to constantly be moved to avoid having the forks driven into the jamb.

And finally, once the door is forced, it must be controlled if there is fire on the other side of it. While the technique of hooking the door with the halligan works great, it can really only be done effectively from the kneeling/crouching position and must be put into place BEFORE the door swings completely open. Once the door is open as far as it is shown in the video, it will most likely be too late to use that technique to grab it if there is fire showing at that door.

Again, I applaud your efforts here, but you guys need to work a little bit on that technique before these can be thought of as training videos.
    all good stuff.

thanks bro.
    -Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Like Jakesdad is saying, I'll echo that they're a pretty good effort there.
    Personally I'm not one for the cheesy (IMO) music that's usually associated with fire videos. Feel free to use the actual audio from your scenario and a voiceover.

I have to echo Jakesdad on the techniques too:
    "Shock Loading the Door". Try it with the adze/pike end. You'll get a lot more energy delivered and not have to keep pulling your buried fork out. Sometimes this is even enough to overcome the door.

I cringe at watching those baseball bat swings in the forcing an inward opening steel door video. Not saying our way is the be all end all, but give consideration to going perpendicular in hitting the adze end with the axe. This video was filmed in broad daylight, continuous swings in darkness is going to send someone to the hospital. Even in your video the FF striking comes off target 4 or 5 swings in, just missing the other FF's left arm. Continuous swings should be saved for the final "drive". Not when the halligan is continuously being repositioned.

Good job overall.
    Bellingham is a great department. You guys used to have a kick@ss physical that I actually saw people throw up at.

Forum Member

I personally find this video a little easier to follow. No cheesy music! Just pure Irons work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uor16OYmKs

Mike
    These opinions are mine and mine alone.

Forum Member

I love those Sacramento videos

Forum Member

I think it was pretty good. I was taught to hit the door with the fork end. A real steel will not let the fork go through it. At the same time the guys in the video forced a door with what looked like a single lock on it. Most buildings that have steel doors have them for a reason. Security. So if its a steel door Im putting my money on it having 2 or 3 locks.

Thread Information