Forum Member

Default Hello Family and friends

Hi to all Fire associates,

My name is Jose and i am from South Florida. I am 30 years old and I have decided that i want to be a fire fighter. I admire the courage that each of the fire associate has within to put their live in danger to save others.
    When i was younger in college, i wanted to be an FBI agent but things didnt go the way i thought. I had to go back home "Venezuela" for a death in the family. Since there, things change but now, i have made the choice to follow my heart again.
    I always have the passion to the courage to help other and be there for who ever was in need.
    I have done lot of research about how can i start, what school are there but never had the chance to communicate with a firefighter or any fire associate that recently when through the process to become a firefighter.
    I became a member to the FireHouse for the purpose in finding a friend, guide, a follow member for advise, guide, help, support...
    Well, i have made my mind and i want to be a firefighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrookie View Post
    Hi to all Fire associates,

My name is Jose and i am from South Florida. I am 30 years old and I have decided that i want to be a fire fighter. I admire the courage that each of the fire associate has within to put their live in danger to save others.
    When i was younger in college, i wanted to be an FBI agent but things didnt go the way i thought. I had to go back home "Venezuela" for a death in the family. Since there, things change but now, i have made the choice to follow my heart again.
    I always have the passion to the courage to help other and be there for who ever was in need.
    I have done lot of research about how can i start, what school are there but never had the chance to communicate with a firefighter or any fire associate that recently when through the process to become a firefighter.
    I became a member to the FireHouse for the purpose in finding a friend, guide, a follow member for advise, guide, help, support...
    Well, i have made my mind and i want to be a firefighter.

All right Jose, great to meet you. My name is Justin, I am a Firefighter/EMT and 2nd semester Paramedic and also live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I assume you are not certified in anything yet, so the first step is to get into EMT or Fire School. Fortunatly, south florida has some great schooling for the Fire/EMS fields. There are many schools you can attend to obtain your certs. Look up broward community college for your EMT/Paramedic schooling and start ASAP. They will walk you through the process of getting into school. Currently, the jobs in South Florida are pretty scarce, so everything....I MEAN EVERYTHING is looked at that you have done in your entire life. Right now the hiring is at an all time low for cities/ counties so the departments can basiclly hand pick who they want to work. Hope thats enough info to get you started. I'll check back if you have any questions.
    Last edited by SSSmokeEater; 08-20-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Forum Member

Jrookie,

Welcome!!! Have you decided on a FF school?

Forum Member

Default Thank you guys

Thank you for the information "SSSmokeEater" and "ctrlaltdelete".
    I have done some research and i was thinking in going to Broward Fire Academy. Justin you mentioned "Look up broward community college for your EMT/Paramedic schooling and start ASAP. They will walk you through the process of getting into school". BCC will walk me throught the process, what you mean ? did you went to BCC.

Forum Member

I believe Broward (http://www.bfa.edu/index.php) has some tough requirements to get in. Plus I believe there is a waiting list, again call them or stop by.

"All applicants must have completed the TABE Testing, CPR, First Responder, EMT or the Paramedic program and obtain a passing score on the Broward Fire Academy Entrance Ability Test prior to entry into the academy."

From talking with others job's are scarce all over the state, but if you really want to become a fire fighter than nothing will stop you.

Forum Member

Default ok

Since you said that Broward academy has some tough requirement to get it, so where would you recommend me to go ? What you where are working at?

Forum Member

Tough requirements should not steer you away from schooling, I was pointing out that because you said "i was thinking in going to Broward Fire Academy" Depending on your location I would look for schools around your area. I hear a lot of good things from that school, also I believe there is a waiting list to get in, but that might have changed. I would go to the schools in your area and talk with the instructors to get a feel of the school.

I did my classes in VT which Florida will not recognize, so I will be going to Ocala Fire college.

Couple of things to remember: be in good physical shape, have a clean driving record and also not sure how long you have been in Florida, but if you have been here less than a year you might have to pay out of state tuition, which can be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrookie View Post
    Thank you for the information "SSSmokeEater" and "ctrlaltdelete".
    I have done some research and i was thinking in going to Broward Fire Academy. Justin you mentioned "Look up broward community college for your EMT/Paramedic schooling and start ASAP. They will walk you through the process of getting into school". BCC will walk me throught the process, what you mean ? did you went to BCC.
    Sorry for not clarifying that totally. What I was referring to about Broward Community College "walking you through" the process was that if you speak with someone in the Health Sciences Department at the school, they will be able to give you a list of requirements as well as any other information you will need before you are enrolled in the E.M.T. program. The process includes getting accepted into the college first then through the E.M.T. school seperatly. Look up the Broward Community College campus closest to you and call the health sciences department. They will then direct you to either an admissions department or mail you some info. Thats the best way to go about E.M.T. Yes, I went to E.M.T. school at BCC and am currently in Paramedic school there as well.

Next is Fire Academy. You have the options to go to Broward Fire Academy in Davie or Coral Springs Fire Academy or even Miami Dade if you wanted. I attended Coral Springs Fire Academy and without a doubt it was the best choice. I had alot of friends go through Broward as well as Miami dade and Coral Springs was far more advanced in their training and more up to date equipment. However, it is tougher in academics to pass the course. A required 80% on all written tests was passing and 100% on all physical objectives to pass oposed to Broward Fire Academy at 70% to pass all written testing. Dont misunderstand me, Broward Fire Academy is very good, I am just going off what I have been through at Coral Springs as well as Broward Fire Academy. If you need any other information, feel free to ask, thats what I'm here for. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by SSSmokeEater; 09-02-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Forum Member

Default Fellow ff and emts

Thank you very much for the information "ctrlaltdelete" and "SSSmokeEater".
    I have found all of them very interesting and useful. I check on a website and i saw that there were some cities in Fort lauderdale that currently have positions available and the dateline is until is full, which sounds like there are in need. I think!, Dont you guys ?.
    I check so many resources and some shows that there isnt any jobs available at the moment but is a great and excited career to be in and be a part of.
    If i was a family member ( brother, son, cousin, brother in law ) What suggestions you guys would give? Ex, yeah joing the fire Dept. there is a promise career waiting for you. or no, there is no chances in getting a job after you graduate.
    Let me hear it my dear brothers, cousins, brother in laws and fathers.

Thread Information