Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car Turntable

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Car Turntable

Well they have them for trains so why not cars? Can we get one big enough to hold a firetruck?

This turntable gets cars out of a tight spot

Pedro Arrais, Times Colonist Published: Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In an almost classic case of "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade," a local entrepreneur has managed to turn a potential loss of $100,000 into a business opportunity.

As construction wound down on Matthew Clark's luxury house in the Ravens Wood subdivision in Langford this spring, one not so small detail emerged -- he couldn't turn around a car in the property's compact courtyard. While many people routinely back out of their driveways, his semi-rural house is at the end of a long driveway with a drop-off on one side and the side of a hill on the other.

Further excavation to widen the courtyard would have cost at least $50,000, with no guarantee the work would not destabilize the hillbank above.

A real estate agent evaluating the property told Clark that this obvious shortcoming could potentially shave $100,000 off the asking price of the $919,000 house.

Searching on the Internet he found a solution -- a turntable for cars. The concept is simple -- simply drive onto the unit and rotate the turntable until you face the way you came.

The CarTurner can be mounted on any level surface such as a driveway without any concrete work.

Clark says it takes about an afternoon to set the unit up. The 4.5-metre-diameter stainless-steel disc is powered by five low-voltage DC motors plugged into a single regular household outlet. The unit is about 76 millimetres high with a bevelled lip to get on and off. A simple remote, similar to a garage door opener, starts and stops the unit, which rides on 70 sets of wheels. The unit will support vehicles as large as a Hummer, says Clark, an entrepreneur in the import/export business.

He liked the solution so much he negotiated for the Canadian distribution rights from the California-based company.

His company, Trade Pacific, sells the non-skid stainless steel unit in Canada for $12,750, delivered and installed. A chrome indoor version meant for car showrooms can be ordered for $1,000 more.

Trade Pacific 1-800-656-7293

CarTurner: www. carturner .com

parrais@tc.canwest.com

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Photocredit:

Matthew Clark's turning around difficulty was solved with the purchase of an electric turntable for cars. Darren Stone, Times Colonist
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

So what you are telling me is that this poor excuse for a motorist is too lazy to turn his bloody compact car on his own million dollar property.....

Hmmmm,

Reaffirms me as to who is getting their licences!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    So what you are telling me is that this poor excuse for a motorist is too lazy to turn his bloody compact car on his own million dollar property.....

Hmmmm,

Reaffirms me as to who is getting their licences!

He said there wasn't enough room to turn a car around...

I have heard that the house that Glen Sather (GM of the NY Rangers - formerly player/coach/GM/President of the Edmonton Oilers) owns in Banff Alberta (National Park in the rocky mountains) has something similar to this in the garage.
    www.firehall.com - check it out

It sounded a lot like the "7 P's":

P!ss Poor Planning Precipitates P!ss Poor Performance.

Or maybe the contractor/architech who designed the yard and home thought they could milk a little more money out of the guy by undersizing the driveway turnaround area?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by michfire View Post
    He said there wasn't enough room to turn a car around...
    Take a look at the picture! Your definition and mine of enough room will be different!

Used to be one in a tight carpark in Auckland when I was doing security patrols years ago.

Most people got out and pushed the car around. A little experiment showed me that the right combination of turning the wheels and hand brake application at the right speed would rotate the car and allow you to drive off as it came around.

Hey, it was night time and I was bored.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterkid View Post
    I have heard that the house that Glen Sather (GM of the NY Rangers - formerly player/coach/GM/President of the Edmonton Oilers) owns in Banff Alberta (National Park in the rocky mountains) has something similar to this in the garage.
    I remember seeing pictures of one in a garage before....... I'll have to see if I can find it.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Take a look at the picture! Your definition and mine of enough room will be different!
    I thought the same thing looking at the picture, I was just quoting the article. The only thought I had was the article said he was selling them now. I thought maybe that was a "model" or display home...??

Here are some other pics I found.........

http://www.driveawaymat.co.uk/sei/s/375/14.html
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

He couldn't back the car the way he came?Maybe I missed something,simpleton that I am.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    He couldn't back the car the way he came?Maybe I missed something,simpleton that I am.
    He buys cars with Optional Reverse gears on their Transmissions!

Forum Member

He buys cars with Optional Reverse gears on their Transmissions!
    Not only that but I paid extra for rearview mirrors and the swivel option on my neck.And I USE them!
    Like they say,you cain't hide money.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I would love to see how that puppy holds up to a Canadian winter?

Dammit Marge, the driveway froze up, and now the car is stuck sideways and won't go EITHER direction.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    I would love to see how that puppy holds up to a Canadian winter?

Dammit Marge, the driveway froze up, and now the car is stuck sideways and won't go EITHER direction.
    Good thing Langford is only 6 miles northwest of Victoria eh? LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

My first thought was if you can't turn your car around, how the heck is a fire truck going to get close enough to help put out a fire?? Dragging miles of hose?? I wonder what the insurance rates are for a house with limited access for emergency vehicles.. What about an ambulance? Better not get sick...
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member

When I was living in Bangkok I was surprised to find out that in a crowded parking ramp people leave their car in neutral and it is ok to push another car out of the way to get to yours. So, when your done shopping at the mall you might have a hard time locating your car because it might not be where you left it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sure doesn't look like my F-150 would fit on it.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    Sure doesn't look like my F-150 would fit on it.
    Your F-150 doesn't need any fancy "driveway".
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information