MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default 1915 - For The Military History Buffs In The Crowd

This is a story in the local Victoria news dating back to the summer of 1915, and the pre-deployment of the 88th Regiment, Victoria Fusiliers. Note also, the receipt of public monies from local corporations and citizens to help equip the Regiment. We've come a long way from local fund raising to Government budgeting and spending, eh.

Aug. 20, 1915: Provide Money for Machine Gun

This Day in History: Times Colonist Published: Wednesday, August 20, 2008

There was every evidence of gratification among the officers and men of the 88th Regiment, Victoria Fusiliers, yesterday when it was known that the employees of Messrs. Grant Smith and Co. and MacDonnell, Ltd., had decided to present them with $1,125, which had been collected for the purchase of a Lewis machine gun and other necessary extra equipment. This, with the addition of other financial help promised by citizens, provided the corps goes on active service as a unit, will make it one of the best provided for offensive and defensive warfare that ever left the West.

In the meantime the regiment is exceedingly active. Men are being taken on the strength every day.

The supplies have been received to provide for almost all, and both officers and men have been spending the Summer in profitable training. On Wednesday practice took place over the Clover Point range, and the scores made were most satisfactory.
    Yesterday there was the regular drill on the grounds of the Willows Camp, and today the orders provide for a route march over some of the roads of the Saanich municipality.

It will finish at the Gorge, where the men will be given opportunities for recreation.

-- The Daily Colonist

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Incidentally, this Regiment was formed in 1912 and disbanded in 1917.

Additional notes:

Originated as the 88th, to become part of the Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's) after 1920.

For action at Kitcheners Wood (St. Julien) April 1915. Kitcheners Wood was the first time that a colonial force (as Canada was at the time) pushed back a major European power on European soil.

I'm no fan of wikipedia, but this time they seem to have offered something useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canadian_Scottish_Regiment_(Princess_Mary's)

MembersZone Subscriber

A thousand bucks for a Lewis machine gun.... that seems a lot for back then just for one

I might see that for a Vickers but now a Lewis
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

$1125.00 for the Lewis and "other necessary extra equipment". But ya, still one huge chunk of money for the times.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

This is a WW II entry. You'll need a gmail account to access this but there is a very cool powerpoint presentation on this site that shows the chronology of WW II.

http://groups.google.com/group/ZeeMa...a387dd47279811

To state the obvious it titled

14703-2_guerra_mundial.pps
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    This is a WW II entry. You'll need a gmail account to access this but there is a very cool powerpoint presentation on this site that shows the chronology of WW II.

http://groups.google.com/group/ZeeMa...a387dd47279811

To state the obvious it titled

14703-2_guerra_mundial.pps
    That was pertty kuul! Someone had a lot of time on his hands, thats for sure. The only thing that could have been added from a historical point of view, was as each country was either occupied or annexed, inclusion of the date would have been just that bit extra. Still a great presentation though! Thanks for finding/posting it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    $1125.00 for the Lewis and "other necessary extra equipment". But ya, still one huge chunk of money for the times.

To quote my old department's Board of Trustees:"You want HOW much for a WHAT?What do you people think we are made of?"
    "All right,who said 'pig fat'?"
    Seriously,they are a bunch of good eggs,the BoT.They bought us a shiny new 1.5 mil station the year before I left.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    A thousand bucks for a Lewis machine gun.... that seems a lot for back then just for one

I might see that for a Vickers but now a Lewis
    There's an ad in a recent Shotgun News that lists Class III weaponry for sale.
    There's a vintage Maxim machine gun for $17,000+.I disremember the caliber but start stacking your nickels and dimes if you want one.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would prefer an mg-3 or an mg-42.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Thread Information