MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default People Who Take Part In Extreme Activities Often Have Type-T Personalities

DOES FIREFIGHTING COUNT?

Average Joes Take On The Extreme. Extreme Sports Attracting More 'Normal' People

POSTED: 9:39 am EDT August 20, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:44 am EDT August 20, 2008

WASHINGTON -- Marathons and skydiving are -- for some -- once-in-a-lifetime events. But there is another segment of the population that not only embraces those activities; they are taking them to the extreme.

Olympic athletes are known for pushing themselves to the limit. Many are admired for their skill, power and dedication.

David Toy is no Olympic athlete, but he said he likes to think he brings that same drive to his own chosen sport.

"You just drive the pants off the car until you see the checkered flag," he laughed.

Toy is an auto parts service shop owner by trade, but in his other life, he revs things up on the track as a sprint and endurance race car driver.

It's a growing activity that is attracting everyone from doctors to welders to secretaries.

"It's just absolutely phenomenal," said Toy. "You're on pins and needles out there on the track, and there's nothing like the thrill of seeing the checkered flag."

For those who choose to log the extra miles by foot, there is another extreme sport to consider.

Dr. Farouk El-Kassed runs ultra-marathons -- races that can last up to a week and cover more than 300 miles.

El-Kassed said that once a person gets used to the distance, ultra-marathons are less difficult that regular marathons and shorter races.

"You're in touch with yourself. You're in touch with your inner soul when you do these races. Dirt, and sky, trees and nothing else," he said.

For some who are looking for an even bigger rush, they want to get off the ground entirely.

Ingrid Schroeder said she went on her first sky dive in 2003, but since then has logged another 405 jumps.

"When we landed I knew I needed to come back. I came back the very next weekend and started the student training program," she said.

By all accounts, Schroeder is a grounded and dedicated federal government worker. She said skydiving has given her an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

"The minute that I'm out in the air, it's just this crazy adrenaline rush," Schroeder said. "It feels good and you just feel like this freedom, and you feel like you're flying."

Some of the same things that many others said seem to draw them to push the envelope -- freedom, connection and accomplishment.

"We are not superhuman. We are like everybody else, but you have to dig deep inside you. It's there, bring it out," said El-Kassed.

Sports psychologists said people who take part in extreme activities often have type-T personalities, which means they can display youthful and even rebellious attitudes that draw them to activities that involve individual expression and creativity.

Copyright 2008 by nbc4.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll agree with that.

In my personal experience, I find that a good adventure sport allows you to feel in control of your life. When the day to day can be so mundane and repetitive, it is nice once in a while to get out there and do something relatively "dangerous" (at least perceived to be), and overcome the risk.

Going back to the cube-farm or yuppie-mill is so much easier when you can truly say it doesn't define the boundaries of your daily life.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Absolutely!!.................

After a Boring Hum-Drum Week in the Fire Belt, there's nothing like a Hi Cube Alcohol Burning Hemi screaming down the track to sooth those jangled nerves........

I've been involved with several variations of Motorsports since High School in the late 1950's, with Tractor Pulling being the current attraction. Regardless, the thing is that I am NOT a Spectator, I'm a player. Sitting and watching anything is just not something that I can do.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    After a Boring Hum-Drum Week in the Fire Belt, there's nothing like a Hi Cube Alcohol Burning Hemi screaming down the track to sooth those jangled nerves........

I've been involved with several variations of Motorsports since High School in the late 1950's, with Tractor Pulling being the current attraction. Regardless, the thing is that I am NOT a Spectator, I'm a player. Sitting and watching anything is just not something that I can do.
    Hey Harve,
    What kind/type of tractor are you driving at this time. What the vehicle's name.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information