Default Any advice for the psych exam?

Hi, I have an oral interview, background check and psych exam all in the same day coming up in a couple of weeks. I know how to prepare for the oral, and I dont know if there is much that i can prepare for with the background check. Is there anything I can do to prepare for the psych exam or does anyone have any advice for me? They said the interview lasts a half hour and the psych test lasts 2 hours.

Forum Member

Default You have to pass the psych test first time out!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggergib View Post
    Hi, I have an oral interview, background check and psych exam all in the same day coming up in a couple of weeks. I know how to prepare for the oral, and I dont know if there is much that i can prepare for with the background check. Is there anything I can do to prepare for the psych exam or does anyone have any advice for me? They said the interview lasts a half hour and the psych test lasts 2 hours.
    You have to pass the psych test first time out!

The following is from a previous article from the career articles section of Firehouse.com here: http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/...me-Out/8$51941

What’s included in the psych test? There is a written test that sets up a profile of you. Then, there is an evaluation by a psychologist.

Written Test: The most common written portion of the psychological evaluation is the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory interview test of up to 1000 questions. The aim here is not to pass the test but to go into the job fully prepared. Put your pride and natural defensiveness aside. They ask a few questions in several different ways. You want to answer questions “strongly for” or “strongly against” instead of being in the middle undecided. Answer questions to present yourself as a more social, interactive, team playing type of person, i.e., you would rather be in a conversation with others than reading a book alone.

The Evaluation: This is where the wheels start coming off the wagon for too many candidates.

Before the interview, the psychologist will often have you take a separate personality test, fill out a personal family history, a biography and additional information forms.

The biggest error candidates make during the psychological evaluation is thinking there is a patient/doctor confidentiality even when the doctor has them sign a release that there is not. This is not your family doctor. Guess who’s paying the bill?

What gets candidates in trouble here is they want this job so bad that they will say and do almost anything even when they’re not even asked. They get chatty and think this doc is their friend.

So what should you do?

Only answer the question you’re being asked. Before you volunteer information, think before you speak. If they want to know more they will ask. Don’t appear to be closed but warm and cordial. Present your ideas clearly. Don’t ramble or chat. Be articulate. This is how you’re going to be in the field. Believe it or not this is part of the job interview. You are making an impression of who you are going to be as a firefighter.

Make sure you dress up and don’t slouch. Be prepared to audition for the part of being a firefighter. Know your strong points. Be prepared to demonstrate you are a team player.

This from a new firefighter:

I want to comment on your psych test information and report. I had to take one for two departments. I tried to answer the questions as honestly as I could, while presenting myself as a very positive social person. Some of the "experts" out there say that you should be brutally honest on the test. Well 3 good guys I know did just that, and they did not pass either test. We lost 10 out of 25 guys on one test! I feel that is a very dangerous test, and some of the advice these people are giving out is costing great candidates a job. Steve.

This from an in service firefighter: During the last hiring process 2 years ago the psychologist passed 10 people. Of those 10, 2 have quit, 2 have been fired, and 1 committed suicide. I wonder if he is worth what the city pays him to evaluate prospects? Have a nice weekend.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Don't say you see dead people! Don't draw a fence around your house!

Just Kiddin!
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information