+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Ok who started this rummor?

I have to ask....Who started the rummor that Firemen install car seats?

A week doesn't go by where some mechanicaly ignorant yuppie wearing a shirt with some pastel color approaches us and tells us they were told by, their wife, husband, doorman, super, aunt, store clerk...etc. that the local firehouse will install a car seat for you.

Not one ever knows where the other persons have heard this but around here....we don't install jack sh*t. As if I have nothing better to do than do what you should be doing for yourself. Should I also change their tire, launder their suit and walk their dog?

And furthermore how g#dd@mned hard is it to install one anyways?...I followed the instructions and installed it according to the manufactures instructions on the 3 that I've used. It wasn't rocket science. If a person can't install one of these things on their own...they probably shouldn't be allowed to leave the house unsupervised, unmedicated and without wearing a protective helmet.

Some of these clowns undoubtedly work on Wall St. and are entrusted to manage your city's pension funds or 457..etc. but they can't install a plastic car seat? I can only imagine how proud their fathers must be at raising such a helpless, dead-weight, dope.

Does anyone know where this got started?

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

A week doesn't go by where some mechanicaly ignorant yuppie wearing a shirt with some pastel color approaches us and tells us they were told by, their wife, husband, doorman, super, aunt, store clerk...etc. that the local firehouse will install a car seat for you.

Not one ever knows where the other persons have heard this but around here....we don't install jack sh*t. As if I have nothing better to do than do what you should be doing for yourself. Should I also change their tire, launder their suit and walk their dog?

And furthermore how g#dd@mned hard is it to install one anyways?...I followed the instructions and installed it according to the manufactures instructions on the 3 that I've used. It wasn't rocket science. If a person can't install one of these things on their own...they probably shouldn't be allowed to leave the house unsupervised, unmedicated and without wearing a protective helmet.

Some of these clowns undoubtedly work on Wall St. and are entrusted to manage your city's pension funds or 457..etc. but they can't install a plastic car seat? I can only imagine how proud their fathers must be at raising such a helpless, dead-weight, dope.

FTM-PTB

NYC

You described the demographic perfectly. Their fathers were the same.

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a SAFE KIDS (I believe that's what it's called) program out there that works with a number of fire departments to sponsor car seat safety programs. I believe the principle of the program is to train FF's to properly install car seats and to show parents how to do it right, instead of cobbling it up and getting their kid hurt because they put it in wrong.

Forum Member

Not to mention that if something happened to the kid during an accident, you could be held liable.
    We turn them away.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Default Car Seat

Well Fred, It's not really just a rumor. It's actually true firefighters in the state of Illinois go through 32-40 hours of training to be certified in child restaint system installation.

Yeah, you might think it's easy and you probably know how to install all the different models but industry experts say most seats are not installed correctly so in Illinois many new parents go to the local fire station to find a certified installer. We are more than happy to help our customers. Please read up on good public relations.

Maybe you don't install jack**** as you say but I think your crappy attitude is showing through in your post. I joined the fire service 23 years ago to help people, not get upset when they ask for a little help.

Even if your state does not certify installers would it kill you to help out a clueless new set of parents, or is that interupting your nap.

I hope you don't show this attitude around your chief or other officers. I'd be embarrassed to have an attitude like that.

I have to ask.Who started the rummor that Firemen install car seats?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

FFFRED...

My career FD does this and so does a number of others in our county. The personnel that do it are trained and certified car seat installers.

No, I am not one of the trained and certified installers.

I did however on several occasions through multiple vehicles manage to install car seats in my own automobiles without the assistanace of a certified installer.

To me though it really seems to be a logical procession of the de-evolution of the common man. Most people today can't build or fix anything on their own. This is just an extension of the helpless modern man.

Forum Member

There are depts around that do it. Mine used to, but there only a couple of people trained to do it, and they had some charity organization that took the liability and had their own people do most of the installs.

Forum Member

We have "car seat technicians" that do the installs. How it started we have no idea. Worst is that the hospitals require that the seat be installed by a "technician" before they'll send junior home. As opposed to the hospitals doing the job they ship them to us. Usually at the last minute...like the parents had no idea they'll need a car seat during the last nine months. Thank goodness I do not have a "technician" on my company.

As you stated this is just another example of the wussification of the United States...I threw up once, have a headache, can't figure out how a fire place damper works, the smoke alarm keeps beeping, my CO monitor is going off and I live in an all electric home, etc...and now need an ambulance/fire department to help me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    To me though it really seems to be a logical procession of the de-evolution of the common man. Most people today can't build or fix anything on their own. This is just an extension of the helpless modern man.
    I believe that would be the metro-sexual male. But at least they look nice and are properly groomed. Why would they want to get dirty...it would mess up their hair.

These are the guys handling your retirement accounts...

Forum Member

I had a few request for car seat installs at work. I was informed that Walmart told them to go to a fire station. I helped them out as much as I could. I probably shouldn't have, as stated earlier if something bad happened lawyers would have a field day. It is a sad testement to our country how often people need our help for basic tasks. I guess we need think positive and realize it is job security.

I like milk...

I'm all for having your car seats installed properly but I can see things going bad really quick. I feel that some parent might sue the fire department after their kid was killed using the car seat that the FD installed. It could just get bad. That's just my opinion.

Gone.

We've had quite a few people come to our station and ask us to do it. We had one mother get quite abusive towards our 2nd Assistant Chief when we turned them away since she thought it was our responsibility to teach. The liability involved should we do it and death or injury occur just outweighs the possibility of it being a helpful subject for the community. And people around here, and anywhere, for that matter are way to happy to sue these days. It's just not worth it. Anymore it just seems that it doesn't matter if someone gets killed, the prospect of getting money from someone actually shows how much the benefactors cared about or loved the deceased.
    Last edited by Hexxus; 08-21-2008 at 01:53 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up We Did..............

We got involved in car seat stuff about 10 - 12 years ago, but we rarely do one anymore. And Yes, it was the Safe Kids Organization that started the ball rolling, at least in this area. We enjoyed doing car seats, and if we had the resources, we'd get back into it again. As I said in another thread, "Whatever it Takes...."
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We also install car seats.....

As well as drive drunks home, carry condoms to teen activities, perform circumcisions and a number of other community "Help, I've fallen and can't get up" based services.

p.s. Please don't flame me, I'm just kidding!!!!!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

These are probably the same people that call 911 to ask:

- How do I get to ______ street?
    - What time are the fireworks?
    - What time is the easter egg hunt?
    - What time is it now?
    - Is it snowing there?
    - My power is out. What do I do?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Some resources

Personally, I've never heard of a lawsuit.

If you don't have the capacity to assist, you can tell people to search for a place near them (instead of ranting), better yet, have a place near you participate in your Fire Prevention/Open Houses/Safety Days.

Car Seat Inspection Stations:

http://pediatrics.about.com/library/...n_stations.htm

Or:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cps/cpsfitting/index.cfm

Someone mentioned Safe Kids...

CPS Certification:

http://www.usa.safekids.org/tier2_rl.cfm?folder_id=3600
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kgm

Our department has done car seat inspections and installations for a number of years. It is one of our best public relations tools as the soon to be parent gets to meet our installers, learn a little more about what we do and how we do it and go home knowing that their car seat is installed properly and their child,OUR CUSTOMER, is safe. Our technicians are sent to a 40 hour class every two years, we schedule appointments and pay the technicians overtime to be available to our public (read: the people who pay the taxes that fund our wages). Like it or not, we are a public service and if that means we do car seat installations and station tours to keep people happy, then do it and use that event as a way to improve our image.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    ... As well as drive drunks home, carry condoms to teen activities, perform circumcisions and a number of other community "Help, I've fallen and can't get up" based services.
    Now I gotta clean the coffee off the computer screen

I am still confused. Why does it takes as long to become a certified child seat installer as it takes to maintain paramedic certification? That still does not seem like a good use of our time and capability.

What if we required a STANDARDIZED, SIZE-APPROPRIATE car seat that takes ONE hour of training to install?

Some of our stations would see the same folks two or three times a month to install the same car seat in the same car.

Maybe this is a job for a fire cadet, extended light duty employee or auxillary member, instead of the on-duty fire suppression crew.

Mike

Forum Member

I see this as similar to installing smoke detectors, something we sometimes do.

As for the training hours, every certification system I have ever seen requires a number of hours that is way out of whack with the amount of material to be learned.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BENV17 View Post
    Well Fred, It's not really just a rumor. It's actually true firefighters in the state of Illinois go through 32-40 hours of training to be certified in child restaint system installation.

Yeah, you might think it's easy and you probably know how to install all the different models but industry experts say most seats are not installed correctly so in Illinois many new parents go to the local fire station to find a certified installer. We are more than happy to help our customers. Please read up on good public relations.

Maybe you don't install jack**** as you say but I think your crappy attitude is showing through in your post. I joined the fire service 23 years ago to help people, not get upset when they ask for a little help.

Even if your state does not certify installers would it kill you to help out a clueless new set of parents, or is that interupting your nap.

I hope you don't show this attitude around your chief or other officers. I'd be embarrassed to have an attitude like that.
    Don't say Illinois when you really mean your department. I work in Illinois and we have nothing to do with installing anything for anyone. I have only been asked a couple of times and was surprised that they really thought we would do this for them.

P.S. 32 - 40 Hours?!?!??? Thats just stupid...
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

FTM-PTB
    Sounds like something the Customer Service Chief (Brunacini) would have endorsed. Amazing, the nonsense promulgated by the village idiots that have taken over our business continues to amaze me.

The bro's are always willing to lend a hand to those in need -- the locals -- (Kids) when we can i.e. fixing one of our fans bicycles, blowing up a basket ball or helping out a neighbor with their car -- etc. Many of the people who reside in the vicinity of our house have very little and we do what we can when we can -- especially for the kids. But give me a break, turning us into the local Child Seat Installation Center -- NO--- especially for some condescending yuppie. I highly doubt we'd run into them in our neck of the woods anyway, no way they'd make local stops.

Why not have the employee's of the purveyors (Wal-Mart) who sell these seats go through the 40-hour course and do the instruction/training at the point of purchase. They’re the ones who profited from the sale of the seat in the first place and should be the responsible party to follow through.

Be Careful.
    Last edited by tjsny1; 08-21-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Don't say Illinois when you really mean your department. I work in Illinois and we have nothing to do with installing anything for anyone. I have only been asked a couple of times and was surprised that they really thought we would do this for them.

P.S. 32 - 40 Hours?!?!??? Thats just stupid...

For Immediate Release
    Phone:
    E-mail:
    Friday, January 19, 2007
    Chicago Fire Department Demonstrates Proper Child Car Safety Seat Installment
    Chicago Fire Department Commissioner Raymond Orozco; Chicago Fire Department's Public Education Unit; Alderman Ed Burke of the 14th Ward; and State Farm Representatives

The Chicago Fire Department's Public Education Unit receives certified car safety seat training sponsored by State Farm Insurance.

The Chicago Fire Department will offer free child car safety seat inspections by appointment at several locations throughout the City of Chicago.

Friday, January 19, 2007
    1:00PM

Chicago Fire Department
    Public Education Unit
    1010 South Clinton
    (enter on Taylor Street)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC View Post
    Personally, I've never heard of a lawsuit.

If you don't have the capacity to assist, you can tell people to search for a place near them (instead of ranting), better yet, have a place near you participate in your Fire Prevention/Open Houses/Safety Days.

Car Seat Inspection Stations:

http://pediatrics.about.com/library/...n_stations.htm

Or:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cps/cpsfitting/index.cfm

Someone mentioned Safe Kids...

CPS Certification:

http://www.usa.safekids.org/tier2_rl.cfm?folder_id=3600
    If THIS http://www.nypost.com/seven/05112008...ait_110361.htm

is happening on a regular basis, why do you feel some of us are so off base with being alittle leery about doing anything beyond our jobs for the general public? There is atleast one lawsuit against the city and the FDNY right now in which part of the reason a woman is suing is because she was allegedly "laughed at" during an EMS run.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

We get these requests all the time. We as a department do not install them for liability issues.

I have to laugh.. as the infant/child car seats have the directions to properly install them included with the packaging!

I guess we as a species have de-evolved to a point where we can't even read directions anymore.

My take?

The people selling the car seats should have their personnel trained to install them.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Did you just say 32-40 hours of Other OT for the class? Im calling the Division now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... Last

Thread Information