Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire "Heroism"

Forum Member

Default Fire "Heroism"

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-in-the-flames

It's bad enough that these people perished in a fire that possibly could have been prevented but this editorial implies that running into a burning building is the correct thing to do.
    I was on a volunteer department just for 3 years and I know that I didn't learn all the reasons why a job was done.However,when we'd do school visits at the two elementary schools in our district,we emphasize that we wanted the kids to get out and especially to stay out of the building.
    We had a call where the nose count by the mail box came up short by "little Billy" so the Chief started sending teams in for direct attack and others to find the kid.It was hot enough the search teams were backing out and we rotated them as they came out.
    My team was about to enter when the house started coming down so we were cancelled and then a neighbor came out of her house,little Billy in tow and a cup of hot chocolate in hand.
    Though we were glad that we hadn't screwed up and left a child to die by fire,we were some upset that someone had taken him away from the family rallying point without telling anyone.
    What happened the other day in Orange Mound was worse.I really feel for the family and also for the firefighters who had to retrieve those lost.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Editorial: Self-sacrifice in the flames

Deon Poole died a hero: The tragedy in Orange Mound delivers a warning that every fire hazard must be taken seriously.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

The community at large knows Deon Poole by a single act, but it was an act of such self-sacrifice that Poole died a hero.

What more is necessary to say about a young man who overcame a barrier of smoke and flames to re-enter a rapidly disintegrating house in an effort to save lives?

Poole, 18, died trying to save his mother and five young relatives in an early morning blaze last Saturday in Orange Mound.

Witnesses say he charged into the burning home through the front door and was next seen pushing his pregnant girlfriend from an open upstairs window. Instead of jumping to save his life, he charged back into the blackness and disappeared from view.

Distraught relatives, friends, neighbors and others concerned about surviving family members responded as people do in such situations, with flowers and cards and money. The family was poor.

Fire officials said the damage was too extensive to determine the cause of the fire. Family members suspected it had something to do with the electrical wiring.

If that is the case, it was in a category that is among the leading causes of home fires and fire deaths, along with smoking, kitchen flare-ups and heating equipment.

Experts say electrical equipment can ignite home fires through short circuits, poor connections, overheated wiring and the like. They advise replacing or repairing loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices and shutting off circuits with outlets or switches that feel warm and having them checked by an electrician. If you feel an extension cord is necessary, make sure that it is not frayed or worn.

Wires should not be run under carpet or around doorways.

Sockets should never be overloaded, which means limiting each socket to no more than one high-wattage appliance. Multiple-outlet power strips can be dangerous.

Many older homes are wired in a fashion that can't accommodate modern electrical equipment.

Circuit breakers and fuses that blow frequently are good indicators that it's time to call an electrician for a full checkup of the system.

It's not a certainty that the tragedy that struck last weekend in Orange Mound could have been prevented.

The fire is a sobering reminder, however, that many share the duty -- homeowners, renters, landlords and others -- to maintain an awareness of fire hazards.

A terrible price can be paid when that duty is not fulfilled.

Whats the song phrase? "Only fools rush in". Granted, he died doing what might be considered as one of the more noble acts a person can perform but that does not change the fact that "Don't try that at home, kids. We're trained professionals." or something like that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    [b][color=blue]Editorial: Self-sacrifice in the flames

Whats the song phrase? "Only fools rush in". Granted, he died doing what might be considered as one of the more noble acts a person can perform but that does not change the fact that "Don't try that at home, kids. We're trained professionals." or something like that.
    Yeah.I'd sent a letter to the editor intending that they rethink how their editorial could be implying rushing into burning buildings is a safe and rational act.They actually printed it despite a 30 period between printing letters from "us civilians with opinions".I don't know how it will be received but I said in effect that though he may be thought of as a hero,he did the wrong thing.
    Even if I think he made the incorrect decision,I wish like H it had turned out differently.He and his family should be celebrating how his football team's game turned out.Not mourning their losses.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

He and his family should be celebrating how his football team's game turned out.Not mourning their losses.
    True enough. And I am sure they will honour him as a Hero, which within the Family, I suppose he is.

Thread Information