Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chief Grants?

Forum Member

for those who haven't attended kurts classes, be prepared as the information he presents comes at you like a hurricanes wind. on the second day i had to put bandaids on my knuckles where the pen met my fingers. i began to wonder how i would ever be able to translate, in writing, this mountain of information into a completed application for my small department.(11 calls) Actually begining the narrative itself was daunting, but by following kurts instructions and lessons, everything seemed to develop and a working narrative came together. Just starting it was the biggest step. you realize through the process that taking kurts/chiefs classes have given you a big edge and everything in the classroom becomes so apparant. My question is how he seems to be everywhere.

No brainer. Anyone thinking of writing grants has to attend his class. He is a first class guy. Kurt knows his stuff. He is a great advisor, and keeps you going. He wants success from his students.

If you get a chance to host one of his seminars, you should do that. I did it earlier this year. It was awesome. Lots of hardwork. But to see over 30 students, in and out of our area, show up at my department was spectacular.

As Nike would say, "Just do it".

John Lyman
    Waterford Fire Department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhl81791123 View Post
    No brainer. Anyone thinking of writing grants has to attend his class. He is a first class guy. Kurt knows his stuff. He is a great advisor, and keeps you going. He wants success from his students.

If you get a chance to host one of his seminars, you should do that. I did it earlier this year. It was awesome. Lots of hardwork. But to see over 30 students, in and out of our area, show up at my department was spectacular.

As Nike would say, "Just do it".

John Lyman
    Waterford Fire Department
    Another rewarding part of these seminars is the brotherhood that you see within the room. You are only there for two days, but make 30 lifetime friends!!

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    Another rewarding part of these seminars is the brotherhood that you see within the room. You are only there for two days, but make 30 lifetime friends!!

Kelly
    A-men Kelly. I have learned so much from these post, but I would have never been able to be successful without attending Kurt's seminar. He continues to be very supportive to our department as well as hundreds out there. The knowledge and friendships you gain from these seminars is unbelieveable.

Thanks to all who provide their knowledge and wisdom.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seminar

We are looking to host Kurt in New England soon. Just working out details on the dates. It looks like we have a sponsor for food too! I subscribe to the philosophy if you feed them they will come.
    Mark

Forum Member

Default Seminar

Ok guys and gals I need some help. I have asked to attend a seminar in Orlando in Dec. My Chief is all for it but wants me to present it to the board of directors. I mentioned it to one of the board members just to get an idea of his thoughts. he wants me to try and get on the peer review for a week instead. Can anybody do that? If anyone has done both, which did you benifit from the most. Our Department has never recieved a fedaral grant, but did just recieve an 1199 update last week on the 2008 AFG.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The national organizations (IAFF, NVFC, IAFC, etc) are the ones to contact for getting on to peer, as well as state fire marshals in most states. Or if you contact the DHS rep for your area they can point you to someone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up New England

Hey: We just confirmed Kurt for the 28th and 29th of January in Londonderry/ Manchester New Hampshire. We are working with some sponsors to get the cost of food covered or greatly reduced for the two days. The location is in southern NH convenient to interstate 93 and the Manchester/Boston Regional Airport. Accommodations are available on sight too at the Best Western ( a full sprinkled facility)
    mtetreault@londonderrynh.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I am going to kurts seminar in Nov at San Francisco I have to fly from Southern Oregon. I talked to kurt about hosting a seminar in future due to to there are no other seminars in northwest. Anyone in this region might be interested in attending? Just curious it would be next year. Thanks
    PS I called and talked to kurt the other day about details about the opertion ranger program and glad I did he had a #^$ load of info that I would otherwise not know. He truly is worth his weight in gold.

MembersZone Subscriber

what is this other grant training everyone is talking about besides Kurt? Just curious. THanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    what is this other grant training everyone is talking about besides Kurt? Just curious. THanks
    Brian (BC79er) at:

http://www.firegraphics.org/schedule.htm

Attended his last year (yes, he brought a snow storm); excellent program.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hey I didn't bring snow like Kurt does, that was melted off by the time I headed to the airport in the morning.

My calling card is increased call volume, just check with Mike McNeill on that one. They had 4 while I was visiting their station, then I passed a large mutual aid brush fire on the way back to the hotel.

Oh and since I'm closing Firegraphics.org Consulting down shortly and not updating those pages, the schedule is over here: www.vickersconsultingservices.com.

Not leaving, just moving on up. Firegraphics.org will continue to exist for the Hybrid Vehicle ERGs and graphics. Just figured that since I'm color deficient and draw stick figures the graphics in the company name didn't make sense anymore.
    Last edited by BC79er; 10-05-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Corrected URL

Brian, have you heard anything from MES about scheduling a seminar in south-central Illinois? MES approached our Chiefs Association and MABAS division at our last Chief's meeting about interest in scheduling you. Of course I was practically screaming YES GET HIM OVER HERE!

Chad
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I don't know if a location has been set but ready or not I'll be in South Central on November 4th according to my calendar. Airplane is dropping me in St Louis on the 3rd and I'm driving that direction to stay so all I need is a venue. Unless it's legal to stand on a milk crate on the street corner and preach....

Of course Steelers fans will be required to sing every Eagles fight song and wear green before being allowed to come in...

Great! Haven't heard rumor of location yet but I'm guessing Salem. That way you can run I-57 up to I-70 on to Indianapolis.

First, the Eagles beat the Steelers already. Second, you don't want to hear me sing!
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    Brian, have you heard anything from MES about scheduling a seminar in south-central Illinois? MES approached our Chiefs Association and MABAS division at our last Chief's meeting about interest in scheduling you. Of course I was practically screaming YES GET HIM OVER HERE!

Chad
    Chad if anyone misses Brian in November, I will be at Petersburg FD, IL in February 13-14
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Chad if anyone misses Brian in November, I will be at Petersburg FD, IL in February 13-14
    Thanks Kurt! I'll spread the word on that one as well.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Default Kurt's Seminars

I attended Kurt's Seminar in Bushnalls Basin in New York last January. I have a long successful grant writing history and a stong background as a Fire Department Instructor. I must say that I was very impressed with Kurt's knowledge of the Fire Act Grant system as well as his ability to transfer his knowledge to his students. I highly recommend that any one that wants to improve their chance for a Fire Act Grant invest some money in his program.

Glen Miller
    Yates County Fire Coordinator

MembersZone Subscriber

ok i started this post to try and decide if i should invest to goto this class and I ended up going this last week in San Francisco and let me tell you that if you are serious about grants or even just want to get some grants, you must go no options just go, you will never regret it, sounds borng but it is everything but, just get-r-done.

Forum Member

I have not read all of this thread but I need to state.....

Kurt is an A+ guy.

If you can not make a seminar, as I cannot, simply read through his posts. You will gain a lot of knowledge. Plus you MUST do your research.

Whether at a seminar or reading the posts, LISTEN. They will help.

The grants that haave been awarded to me have been due to research and Kurt's and BC79er's posts. if anyone has not caught on yet. They are here to help.

Thread Information