Thread: Rescue Knife

Default Rescue Knife

I hope that I am in the right forum here for this question.

I have been looking for a while now and cannot seem to make a decision. Does anyone out there know a good rescue knife. I am looking for one with a seatbelt cutter, blade (half serrated and half straight), and a window punch. I am looking for something less than 100.00. I want a good quality knife. I have seen some on the web that look really nice but afraid I might be buying a POS. Any help?

Forum Member

Default knife

i sell firefighter ems police rescue knifes they are good and sturdy i carry one on my chiefs helmet and my gear email me if you like stevefireman@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by REBEL81 View Post
    I hope that I am in the right forum here for this question.

I have been looking for a while now and cannot seem to make a decision. Does anyone out there know a good rescue knife. I am looking for one with a seatbelt cutter, blade (half serrated and half straight), and a window punch. I am looking for something less than 100.00. I want a good quality knife. I have seen some on the web that look really nice but afraid I might be buying a POS. Any help?
    Smith and Wesson First Response Knife is probably the closest to what you describe. There are a few others out there too.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thumbs up Knives - SOG is a solid brand

Try SOG Trident or the Gerber-Hinderer. Just at the 70-90$ mark

The SOG is my preference. The handle has a notch that allows it to be used as seat-belt cutter. The blade and handle hold up well also; bonus feature SOG Assisted opening is great with gloves.

Benchmade also makes a darn good knife, they are on the high side. (+100)
    Timberline is also pretty good.

Try http://thefirestore.com to compare features (prices are pretty reasonable too)

Forum Member

I have a preference for fixed blades. I was considering replacing the current knife with a UK Fusilier or a Gerber Rivermate. Anyone have any experience with either one?
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Thumbs up SOG Trident

Quote Originally Posted by TechRescue41 View Post
    Try SOG Trident or the Gerber-Hinderer. Just at the 70-90$ mark

The SOG is my preference. The handle has a notch that allows it to be used as seat-belt cutter. The blade and handle hold up well also; bonus feature SOG Assisted opening is great with gloves.

Benchmade also makes a darn good knife, they are on the high side. (+100)
    Timberline is also pretty good.

Try http://thefirestore.com to compare features (prices are pretty reasonable too)
    I agree, can't beat the Trident for speed, and durability. I found them for $62 at http://www.TestedBestProducts.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default S&W 911 First Response

I'm a big fan of the Smith & Wesson First Response knife. Big SHARP blade and an integrated window punch. What's good about the window punch is that it's spring-loaded - you release the "trigger" and it shatters the window. You don't have to push the tool into the window and risk putting your whole hand through the hole. The blade is also insanely sharp - I've used it to cut through wiring harnesses on car doors with no trouble. Also easy to use with your fire gloves on.
    -Seth

Forum Member

I just bought a bunch of these for the crews at my station for Christmas (and one for myself, too).
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/blhaseblto.html

They are small enough that they aren't at all in the way when you carry them, but they are well built and relatively inexpensive.

LA Police Gear is where I purchased them. They had the lowest price I had found.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

i have the gerber hinderer and it is amazing. easy to use even with gloves on. Worth every penny. got it from thefirestore.com for like $65.

Default All in one knife or not?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a knife and have been looking at the Firestore.com.

I was looking at getting either the Gerber Hinderer CLS or Firefighter version. Which has the glass puncher and hook cutter.

But looking at the price and considering the amount of use I'd get out of the glass puncher and hook cutter, I'm now thinking I should just get the RES-Q-ME tool for $8 and keep it in my Firecoat. Then I could buy a more simple knife like the Gerber Obsidian or the Smith & Wesson: Homeland Security Knife.

Has anyone got either of these and what would you recommend?

Thanks
    Greg

Thread Information