Forum Member

Default Your opinions are appreciated

Ok so realy im not trying to start a flame war. I see things at my house that just drive me up a wall, and it seams like only very few people see the same ignorance that I do. So please tell me your opinions on " station life" at your DoD job. Dont flame and turn this into one of those lame post's that gets blocked from stupidity. But honestly share how you feel about the things that go on in your house. Don't Mention department names or specific persons names, but don't hold back neither.

Forum Member

Is every one scared to speak?

Forum Member

dunno if this is a trend but i've noticed that SOME civvies don't like to do pt...not as in with military but along with the firefighter fitness pgm
    Last edited by dukduk; 08-27-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: caught something

Forum Member

Yeah im not gona lie about that I hate doing PT. I do it some times, but not on a schedualed basis id much rather be watching tv. But thanks for the input.

Forum Member

I'll say this: I was an Air Force firefighter for 8 years at Edwards AFB..Im now on Toledo Fire.
    We had it EASIER at Edwards. I mean LESS overall station "busy work"
    There is no easier fire job in the world that a DOD one.
    But hey, I respect those guys all the way.

Forum Member

i think that they should stop letting retarded people in the military. people need to clean up after themselves, stop stealing other peoples stuff, fess up when they f$#@ up, and stop talking and start doing, to name a few. there is always a shift war thing going on because a shift likes the equipment one way on the truck while b shift likes it another. the thing that bothers the crap out of me is when the other shift does a drill or whatever with the rescue equipment, they dont put everything back where it goes and stuff winds up missing. that stuff a'int cheap.

ok, i feel better.

Forum Member

Default Hack it or pack it

We have a very good job overall. Just like any dysfunctional family, we all have our quirks. You can b!tch about the small stuff, or just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I've been with DOD for over 20 years. Putting 2 kids through college and paying alimony. Many try to compare our job to the city departments. It's not possible. Do some simple math. 336 hours in a 2 week period, we work 144, 192 hours off. Out of that 144, 48 hours of "work time". Subtract lunch and break time, now we have 39 hours. Remember this is based on a 2 week cycle. Out of that 39 hours every 2 weeks, how much actual "work" do you do?

I'm a GS-8 step 9. I make more than a lot of chief officers in this area. My biggest concern when I go to work is making sure my crew goes home to their wives & kids in the morning. Everything else is irrelevant.

And to dukduk, as much as I know I should, I hate doing pt. We have first class equipment and ample time to do it. I'm just lazy. At least I admit it.

I would be remiss if I left DODnConfused unscathed. If you joined the federal system expecting to be fighting fire and saving lives, you missed. Since 1987, I've been on 5 greater alarm fires. Never run an actual plane crash. (Kudos to our brothers in Guam. 3 in 2 months?? wtf! JT must be a dark cloud.)

Gnaw on that for a bit. And being of strong charachter, my name and base are published.

Joe Zydel
    Lead Firefighter
    Selfridge ANGB, Michigan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMZ191 View Post
    If you joined the federal system expecting to be fighting fire and saving lives, you missed. Since 1987, I've been on 5 greater alarm fires.
    I beg to differ. Depends on the department. We run on more than 5 greater alarms in a year. Some departments are slower than others.

Forum Member

I would love to vent about our dept but there isn't anything to vent about. We have a great group of guys that work here, overall good management, good budget and as long as we can justify it we get just about anything we need. Just like anywhere we have people with different personnalities and things like that but for the amount of money we make compared to the rest of the people in the area I can put up with someone in a bad mood now and then.

Forum Member

Default Firehouse life

If you really want to hear the "down and dirty", send me a PM.

Thread Information