1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default Hillsborough/Tampa jobs?

    Hey does anyone know if Hillsborough County or Tampa might be hiring again. I am looking to move to that area soon.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    FFPotenziano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    46

    Default Tampa Fire Rescue

    Tampa is always hiring. We have applied for a grant to meet 1710 standards in New Tampa. Construction starts in Oct. for station 22. We're looking to add 36 positions in the next year. E22 and Truck 21 will go in service October 2009. Also 2010 will have a new wave of drop members leaving. Good Luck

    http://www.tampagov.net/appl_personn...RedirectID=229

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hey thanks for the info. I was wondering is Tampa part of the state retirement or is it City. Also I am a medic, does Tampa hire medics and if so are they solely on the box or can then go to engines as well. Because the department I am at, has it that once you become a medic you are on the box for life and never see an Engine.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    59

    Default

    ffr42c, just to keep your options open, Polk County will be testing soon (mid-Oct?) and we currently begining the consolidation process with Polk County EMS. FF-Medics will be on engines until the consolidation takes place and we slowly begin converting ambulances to transport rescues (same truck, just cross-trained personnel).

    Hillsborough and Tampa are great departments though. Best of luck either way.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Mike Linkins, thank you for the info, but my concern is that the comment you made. "Fire-medics will be on the engines until consoildation." It makes it sound like that once your department merges then Fire-medics will only be on the Rescue. If you could clarify what you meant by that. Also I am looking to get off the Rescue permentaly and go into Speical Ops or Truck company, I dont know if Polk County has that.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    FFPotenziano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    46

    Default Tfr

    We're a private pension, one of the best in the nation.

    We just settled our contract from FY 2007 with a 5% raise and $110 bi-weekly for a paramedic patch.

    Tampa hires both medics and EMT's.

    You may be required to ride the car on a day to day basis to fill in where manpower is needed. The rescue is a promoted position if you choose to do it full-time.

    Good luck!

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffr42c View Post
    Hey thanks for the info. I was wondering is Tampa part of the state retirement or is it City. Also I am a medic, does Tampa hire medics and if so are they solely on the box or can then go to engines as well. Because the department I am at, has it that once you become a medic you are on the box for life and never see an Engine.


    hmmmm, I'm willing to bet you are from the central florida area, and probably work for orange county, and given your name, if your at THAT house, yea, I could imagine why you would wanna get off the box, especially before october 1st.......

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default TFR seems very squared away but why such low starting pay

    Hello All,

    So TFR comes across as a very squared away department and one I would like to work for; however, why such a low starting salary? I seems like Orlando is about 10k more. Does anyone know what one should expect to make as a new FF in Tampa after usual incentives and overtime? The reason I ask is it might be hard to raise my family on $33k and I don't want to put my family in a hard spot.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    176

    Default

    MarkXX,

    I hear low salaries are common right now all over and many have to get a second job or some are just leaving the FD. I wonder if Orlando just has a better contract or more tax payer support than other departments.

  10. #10
    Floater for life!!

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brandon, fl
    Posts
    74

    Default

    the info on the site may be old.....its the same info that was on there when i applied back in summer of '06.......from what i have heard hillsborough only hires medics........and if your already on state retirment you could keep it since Hillsborough is state as well...as for staffing i would assume it would be split between box and engine....thats what we are going to in osceola county.....slowly we are becoming medic heavy with an in house program starting up next month and hopefully there will be more down the road.....thats what they hope for....it may get to the point where EMT will ride the box and medic will get more engine time than them rotating time with other medics....plus with have 2 trucks comin on in the next 6 months or so......either way you choose i hear both are great departments...

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    FFPotenziano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    46

    Default Tampa

    Now starting at 35,200 MOL, then add 11 holidays at 9.6 hours x 14.12. Also $110 bi-weekly for paramedic patch. Add a three week kelly day.

    We just started negotiations for FY 09.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    59

    Default My mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by ffr42c View Post
    Mike Linkins, thank you for the info, but my concern is that the comment you made. "Fire-medics will be on the engines until consoildation." It makes it sound like that once your department merges then Fire-medics will only be on the Rescue. If you could clarify what you meant by that. Also I am looking to get off the Rescue permentaly and go into Speical Ops or Truck company, I dont know if Polk County has that.
    It is our intention to allow fire-medics to swap between engines and rescues (or other apparatus). This is a new concept for us, as we do not operate rescues at this time. I apologize if I led you to believe that we were intending to confine paramedics to rescues only. That is not the case.

    We do opeate a special operations team. At this time, we have one staffed ladder apparatus and intend to add more in the future.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFPotenziano View Post
    Now starting at 35,200 MOL, then add 11 holidays at 9.6 hours x 14.12. Also $110 bi-weekly for paramedic patch. Add a three week kelly day.

    We just started negotiations for FY 09.
    What does the orientation consist of once your hired? Is it a like a mini-academy? PT? Advanced training?

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    FFPotenziano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    46

    Default Tampa

    Four weeks of refreshing your basic firefighter skills, extrication, EVOC, etc. PT in the morning. We just purchased a new burn building you'll most likely go through. It's going to be pretty basic for most.

    The link below has more pictures of Tampa Fire.

    http://snap.tbo.com/galleries/index....st&user=148955
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Does anyone know when the next hiring class for City of Tampa will start? I have passed the Physical Ability Test and recently got the notification that my application was accepted and scored, but no information on the next step or timing. Thanks for the info!

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Did they schedule you for an interview yet?

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default City of Tampa

    Hey- Sorry it took awhile to respond, for some reason my account stopped working so I had to create a new username.

    I have not been scheduled for an interview yet. Do they usually call to schedule shortly after the application is scored? Do you know if they are hiring EMTs or just Paramedics?

    Thanks for the help!

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    FFPotenziano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    46

    Default Hiring Process

    Rose,

    To give you an idea how long it takes to actually start, I took my agility in August, interviewed with the chief in November and started June 1st. The process takes some time but it's worth it.

    Also, it's been rumored there will be a new hiring sometime after the new year. I'm not completely sure though. The land for Station 22 was purchased and construction should start soon. That's at least one new class.

    I the mean time start working on your paramedic patch, 3 years fly's by and $110 a paycheck is pretty sweet.

    Gook Luck

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffr42c View Post
    Hey does anyone know if Hillsborough County or Tampa might be hiring again. I am looking to move to that area soon.
    if you're still interested, Hillsborough just opened up the application process.
    http://www.jobaps.com/hill/sup/images/default.asp

    I think it's great that FFPotenziano is proud of his dept, but I would recommend hillsborough over tampa. one thing that seems to be left out for instance is the amount they pay into their pension. I know in 2006 it was 10 or 11% of your pay, but it could have changed by now. at any rate, if you want reasons I can give you a few, but not trying to start an us vs them thing. best of luck to you.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    71

    Smile Another MI person with questions

    Hello I know there have been posts with the same questions, but I just want to get some updated answers. I am 25 with my MI FFI/II, Medic (NREMT), 4yrs POC, Associates degree, ETC...I am on a few lists here but there are alot of budget cuts (as with everywhere) and the cold is back and I am thinking more about the warm FL weather. The 2 main questions if I was to apply for Hill/Tampa is would they hire me and then I can challenge my FF and medic or would I have to pass both those before real consideration. Thanks for the info.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFER55 View Post
    Hello I know there have been posts with the same questions, but I just want to get some updated answers. I am 25 with my MI FFI/II, Medic (NREMT), 4yrs POC, Associates degree, ETC...I am on a few lists here but there are alot of budget cuts (as with everywhere) and the cold is back and I am thinking more about the warm FL weather. The 2 main questions if I was to apply for Hill/Tampa is would they hire me and then I can challenge my FF and medic or would I have to pass both those before real consideration. Thanks for the info.

    Florida is a tough state to come to from out of state. You will have to challenge your Medic and pass before you can become employed here. Also your FF standards more than likely will not be accepted here in Florida. You will need to call the State Fire College and send them your transcripts and they make the decision on whether or not you meet the criteria for challenging the state test. I will be honest with you and tell you I know a few guys that came from a few different states and ended up taking fire standards all over again because of the hassle of trying to get through the challenge process. Florida is a great place to be a firefighter, but I will say we have some tough strings attached when it comes to out of state certifications.

    Good Luck!

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    71

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    Florida is a tough state to come to from out of state. You will have to challenge your Medic and pass before you can become employed here. Also your FF standards more than likely will not be accepted here in Florida. You will need to call the State Fire College and send them your transcripts and they make the decision on whether or not you meet the criteria for challenging the state test. I will be honest with you and tell you I know a few guys that came from a few different states and ended up taking fire standards all over again because of the hassle of trying to get through the challenge process. Florida is a great place to be a firefighter, but I will say we have some tough strings attached when it comes to out of state certifications.

    Good Luck!
    Thanks for the reply. So I think the answer is no, but There is no way that I would get hired with my MI certs and then retest after i am hired in FL. I would have to get all my certs to FL standards than start testing.

  23. #23
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    71

    Smile Another Q

    Hello its me again. So I called florida-ems today and asked how the process works to get my MI to FL medic certs. The staff at FL-ems could not tell me the format or type of test? Has anyone taken the National Registry Test? Is it the same process? Is there a written and practical section. Thanks again for the help. Next is to find out about my fire certs???? Thanks again for any help in this issue.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    141

    Default

    I may be misunderstanding your question, but is this link what you're looking for?
    http://www.doh.state.fl.us/MQA/EMT-P...tification.htm
    particularly question 2.
    if you're asking what the state of fl medic exam is like, it's a computer based multiple choice exam with no practical. they do have pictures of ekg's on it.
    if you want to transfer your fire certification, check out this link, about halfway down the page.
    http://www.fldfs.com/sfm/bfst/Standard/StdFFCrt.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by FFER55 View Post
    Hello its me again. So I called florida-ems today and asked how the process works to get my MI to FL medic certs. The staff at FL-ems could not tell me the format or type of test? Has anyone taken the National Registry Test? Is it the same process? Is there a written and practical section. Thanks again for the help. Next is to find out about my fire certs???? Thanks again for any help in this issue.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default EMT-B test in Florida

    I applied for reciprocity in Florida for EMT-B from MN. The test was the computerized version from the national registery. Same test I took for my MN license. Crazy that they made me take the exact same test again. Many of the questions were the same.

    Can't say for EMT-P though.

    Have a good one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. hillsborough county
    By SPRINGFIELDXD45 in forum Florida
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
  2. Hillsborough
    By OC1219 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 03:37 AM
  3. Tampa/Orlando jobs?
    By liquid51 in forum Florida
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 03:13 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 08:16 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 12:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register