Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default It's Got to Come Out of Your Mouth!

If it doesn't come out of your mouth, you will not get credit!

Question:
    If they don't accept resumes, then how are they going to know what I did? Will I somehow have to work all that information in the oral? And if so how and where ? Thank you- a confused wannabe

Reply: One of the major error's candidate's make is thinking that because I have listed experience and credentials on my application and resume, I don't have to cover everything or go into depth. This is a big ERROR! You have to tell them. Understand if it doesn't come out of your mouth, you will never get credit! I can't tell you how many times we saw some great stuff on a resume and said, "Let's see if the candidate tells us about this?" Many did not.

Yes, even if they donít accept resumes, you have to work all that information into your oral. You have to be ready to make your presentation before you walk into the room. Many candidates think some kind of magic is going to happen during the oral board. "Magic is where preparation meets opportunity." It is not a difficult task. Most candidates complicate this process.
    I suggest you start working up your answers so when the notice comes you don't want to go below and fall on your sword.

Dan shared the following:
    ...I went through exactly through what he's talking about, at a promotion in my department for this position of lieutenant. I knew all the people on the board including a division chief. I was thinking, "Geez, I've known these guys for 16 years. And, I don't have to say anything, they know me." During my critique afterwards, the division chief said, "You know, Dan, you've got so much going for you, but you didn't blow your own horn." If you would have blown your own horn, you would have said all the things that you got going for you, you'd have had it. Since you didn't say a word, and I can't give you the badge." If you don't say it, you don't get credit for it, period.

The defense rests.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber Japhro84's Avatar

This is good stuff to know. I recently bought your CD/DVD/Book combo and there is some very good information in the resume section. What about people like me that have no prior experience and are just now getting the ball rolling? I just recently joined a combination department as a volunteer. I will be attending my Fire 1 starting Monday. If I am not out there "on duty," would it benefit me putting down on my resume that I am part of a department, but I am currently only a recruit? All I have to go on is a natural gas leak inspection job I had for 3 years. And, I don't think that is even remotely helpful on a resume.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    If it doesn't come out of your mouth, you will not get credit!

Question:
    If they don't accept resumes, then how are they going to know what I did? Will I somehow have to work all that information in the oral? And if so how and where ? Thank you- a confused wannabe

Reply: One of the major error's candidate's make is thinking that because I have listed experience and credentials on my application and resume, I don't have to cover everything or go into depth. This is a big ERROR! You have to tell them. Understand if it doesn't come out of your mouth, you will never get credit! I can't tell you how many times we saw some great stuff on a resume and said, "Let's see if the candidate tells us about this?" Many did not.

Yes, even if they donít accept resumes, you have to work all that information into your oral. You have to be ready to make your presentation before you walk into the room. Many candidates think some kind of magic is going to happen during the oral board. "Magic is where preparation meets opportunity." It is not a difficult task. Most candidates complicate this process.
    I suggest you start working up your answers so when the notice comes you don't want to go below and fall on your sword.

Dan shared the following:
    ...I went through exactly through what he's talking about, at a promotion in my department for this position of lieutenant. I knew all the people on the board including a division chief. I was thinking, "Geez, I've known these guys for 16 years. And, I don't have to say anything, they know me." During my critique afterwards, the division chief said, "You know, Dan, you've got so much going for you, but you didn't blow your own horn." If you would have blown your own horn, you would have said all the things that you got going for you, you'd have had it. Since you didn't say a word, and I can't give you the badge." If you don't say it, you don't get credit for it, period.

The defense rests.
    Captain Bob,

I recieved your email about Orange from a couple of days ago and responded. I usually here back with in a day or two. I am posting this in case it never reached you.

Stay safe,

Kev

Capt. Bob's posting is pretty spot on. I just interviewed for a promotional position and forgot to deliver some of the most important material at the end of the oral board.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Japhro84 View Post
    All I have to go on is a natural gas leak inspection job I had for 3 years. And, I don't think that is even remotely helpful on a resume.
    That's all you have? Hmmmm. You might have more than you know. Well, what have you learned on this job?

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

This is good stuff to know. I recently bought your CD/DVD/Book combo and there is some very good information in the resume section. What about people like me that have no prior experience and are just now getting the ball rolling? I just recently joined a combination department as a volunteer. I will be attending my Fire 1 starting Monday. .
    It could look like this on your at the top of your resume under

Profession Experience:

Firefighter ABC Fire Department (volunteer) June 08 - Present

Duties include, yada, yada, yada

The Fire 1 could look like this:

Education:

Firefigther 1 (fall 08) or (spring 09), etc.

I'll be happy to look at your completed resume using the following format, save it in a Word.doc, not Vista ( I canít open a Vista .docx file) and e-mail it to me: http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

e-mail: captbob@eatstress.com

Here's a sample resume:

Carl Mcfly
    1284 Main St.
    Kensington, Ca 94588
    Phone: 510-286-5890 e-mail: Iwantafirejob@aol.com

OBJECTIVE: To achieve a level within the fire service.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

Firefighter Fire Department, CA 2-00 Present
    Duties include but are not limited to fire suppression in structural as well as wild land environments and emergency medical services under highly stressful emergency conditions. Also, fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance under the supervision of a Captain, always focusing on providing quality customer service.

Engineer (Acting) 2-03 Present

Firefighter Fire Department (Auxiliary) 3-99 2-00
    Perform in a probationary capacity under emergency situations, fire suppression, emergency medical services, also fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance.

EMT Ambulance Service, CA 3-99 2-00
    Perform under emergency situations; emergency medical services under the direction of Redondo Beach and L.A. County Fire Department Paramedics. Vehicle and station maintenance and Code-3 driving.

INSTRUCTOR Emergency Response CPR Training 3-03 Present
    Adult, Child, & Infant CPR training for the community as well as for the professional rescuer.

Owner/Operator Pool Company, CA 5-97 2-00
    Service and repair of residential and commercial pools and spas according to County Health Department specifications.

EDUCATION
    Bachelorís Degree EMT Defib and Combitube certified
    Firefighter I Red Cross certified CPR Instructor
    Firefighter II Federal Red Card System Member
    Driver/Operator State certified Class B Driverís License

ACTIVITIES
    Member of State University Track and Field Team.
    Member of State University X-Country Team.
    Volunteer for Hubbs Institute White Sea Bass Population Restoration Project.
    Volunteer for Red Cross on various projects.

Nothing more. Nothing less. Keep it simple.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber Japhro84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    That's all you have? Hmmmm. You might have more than you know. Well, what have you learned on this job?

I have learned a vast amount of knowledge about natural gas and gas leak detection. Every year we had to take and pass what's known as the MEA test. This test covers everything about natural gas from gas distribution methods to emergency operations. I have even worked with the fire department in one instance after a foundry explosion here in Milwaukee.

Forum Member

I have learned a vast amount of knowledge about natural gas and gas leak detection. Every year we had to take and pass what's known as the MEA test. This test covers everything about natural gas from gas distribution methods to emergency operations. I have even worked with the fire department in one instance after a foundry explosion here in Milwaukee.
    OK. Nice start. What else did you learn on this or any other job you've had? I sence there is a whole lot more?

Thread Information