Thread: OCFA Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OCFA Question

I was wondering where most OCFA firefighters can afford to live within the county? Is it possible to live in cities such as dana point or newport beach, for example? (without having a second job or working OT everday).

MembersZone Subscriber

You're kidding right? I happen to live in Dana Point and while you can rent a house there, housing prices are extremely high. I live in a typical tract house near the high school. I purchased it 7 years ago for 390K. After the recent drop in So. Cal housing prices it's come down to 900K. Newport Beach is much more expensive than DP.

Most new guys live in the Inland Empire in towns like Carona and Murrieta. It's an hour commute depending on where you work in the county. They build up equity and make the jump to Orange County when they can.
    OCFA pays really well, the morale is high and they are growing like crazy. It's a great place to work.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Permanently Removed

As BCP said above, most people live in the Inland Empire (IE) and communte in.

If you go this route, consider getting a FasTrak transponder for the 91/241/5 Toll Roads. Here is your link- www.91expresslanes.com These units also work in the Bay Area. In the past, I have gotten an end of year statement and claimed the toll cost on my taxes.

PM me if you need more info.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-24-2008 at 12:43 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rbbehemoth View Post
    I was wondering where most OCFA firefighters can afford to live within the county? Is it possible to live in cities such as dana point or newport beach, for example? (without having a second job or working OT everday).
    OC is really expensive, but the housing market is so low right now, you might be able to afford something. The beach cities are unrealistic, but there are other cities that are great places to invest. Irvine, Portolla Springs, Mission Viejo, Tustin Ranch and Yorba Linda are just a few. You can buy town homes for around 400k and single family for 500k. For OC that is pretty good. Travel into Chino or Corona and you can get a huge home for under 500k. Also, Long Beach along Ocean Avenue has some new high rise condos along the water. Those would be awesome.

I would just make the drive and get more home for your dollar. But if your in it for a long term investmant, the OC would be good.

Later,

Kev

Forum Member

Oddly enough, I live in Dana Point as well (near the high school). My family bought our house 12 years ago for just under $300,000, And before the market slump it had hit worth a million easy.

Being in the market for a place away from home at this very moment, you would easily blow all of your months salary on a place, if you could even get a mortgage or loan out. My suggestion: North San Diego county. A nice place in Vista or vicinity will run you so much less than in the county. And the commute isn't too horrible either..

Thread Information