Thread: Wacker T-shirts

Forum Member

Default Wacker T-shirts

Went to the NYS fair today, saw some wacker t-shirts for firefighters, figured I would share with all.

and no, before anyone asks or implies otherwise, I did not purchase any of these shirts, all I did was roll my eyes in amazement that people do buy these types of shirts
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by DrParasite; 08-24-2008 at 09:31 AM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I wouldn't even buy those for a collection of 'bad taste' items. They're just terrible.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

So where can I pick up mine?

Forum Member

Among others,I have the one about"When you get out of bed...When I get out of bed...."
    I also have a collection of gun related tees,many many Dale Earnhardt shirts,basically more shirts with smart alec comments than I own dress shirts.
    So what?You can't go through life just wearing work clothes or your Sunday going to Church stuff all the time.Though there's not much difference between my daily wear and my work clothes(old jeans,steel toes boots,t shirt and ball cap.)anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

How do they move with all that ink on the shirt? It'd be like wearing a straight jacket.

Personally I want a "I went to Baltimore Fire Expo and instead of training all I wanted was this wacker T-shirt"-shirt.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Discounting the text lines, the artwork itself is pretty good. For some of it, anyway. Can do without the "We Fight What You Fear" (or whatever) BS lines though.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I have received "whacker shirts" as gifts. I donate them to clothing drives.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

I would donate mine too, the only problem is that my wife got them for me(no matter how many times I told her I won't wear them). Now they just take up room in the bottom of the drawer.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

As we've gone to more general 'wacker' T's... I have some, that are rarely worn, and I mean RARELY. They fall into the 'campaign T' variety. You knowm, the ones that commemerate a particularly big event? What are mine? They are for a series of fires (that mostly joined up) that lasted 65 days, that burnt a huge area (1.2 million hectares). It lists the different Strike Teams that I was on during my tours. Like I said, rarely worn.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

Now I'm only 3 months into my reign as a fireman, so I can plead probie inexperience if I am asking a silly question, but what exactly is a whacker?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

OH NO!!!! I just did some research in other posts. I think I AM a whacker! Blue light ..check. T-Shirts.... check. stickers in the window..... check. is there a whacker support group I can join?? maybe ... Hi my name is Tad and I'm a whacker!!! No scanner though.. and I dont bring my low band to work anymore so maybe I'm getting better.. whacker rehab works.

Forum Member

Congrats!!! Wow, a probie that actually researches threads!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Congrats!!! Wow, a probie that actually researches threads!
    Let's order up some "I Search What You Fear!!!" shirts
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

I had one that had some dogs riding a ladder truck. I don't know where it is, but the "Facing the Dragon" my well-meaning mother got me will not go away. My wife wears it.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to have a couple of the Big Johnson shirts but now they are rags out in the garage. When I first started, I thought it was cool to wear something like that but now I just roll my eyes at the guys who wear those shirts.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FRONTIERFIRE66 View Post
    Now I'm only 3 months into my reign as a fireman, so I can plead probie inexperience if I am asking a silly question, but what exactly is a whacker?
    A whacker is a derogatory term used to describe someone who is overly obsessed or arrogant about the fact that they are a firefighter, EMT or similar member of a dept. The term also has the sexual connotation stemming from the person "getting off" on holding such position.

Typical signs of a wacker are lights (especially excessive amounts) on vehicle, Fire/EMS stickers on vehicle and other places, wearing uniforms or patches when not appropriate, carrying a radio/pager/scanner without the DTMF decoding active so they hear everything that is said, even if it is not directed at them, etc.

Forum Member

Ok.. my pager only moniters my dept. so I'm good there, and I only have a small l.e.d. and my heart rate does go up when I get a call.... I'm probably 50-65% whacker!

Some Guy

We had a contest one year to see who could find the worst. Great fun.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I must be maturing.Some of the whacker shirts I have owned are being traded for dances at the local nudie bar.
    Nothing with MY department's name on it,of course, but I have been considering the "Support the Paducah FD" shirt for this one girl at The Pony.Think "PAD u CAH" .
    Since my truck still has my old department's sticker on it,when I go I park in a nearby 24 hr grocery store and walk over to the club.That way,there's no connection between me and that department unless a reporter follows me when I leave.
    Last edited by doughesson; 09-26-2008 at 01:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure if they are "whacker" (well maybe they are) but the only ones I wear "out on the town" are the Worcester 6, Charleston 9, and a "last alarm" 9-11 FDNY.
    Oh and a Pipes and Drums from FDNY. I know all of the proceeds of these purchases went to the respective groups. (I wear my department issued t-shirts usually only when on duty or special event.)
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

where i come from a wacker is a paid firefighter and it is something that us volunteers frown upon.Due to them always trying to run our calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    Not sure if they are "whacker" (well maybe they are) but the only ones I wear "out on the town" are the Worcester 6, Charleston 9, and a "last alarm" 9-11 FDNY.
    Oh and a Pipes and Drums from FDNY. I know all of the proceeds of these purchases went to the respective groups. (I wear my department issued t-shirts usually only when on duty or special event.)
    Hardly a wacker. Your shirts depict the brotherhood and respect due to those who have given the ultimate sacrafice. I wear mine regurlary as well when I am out and about. Its also nice knowing the money went to support their families.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fyerman6 View Post
    where i come from a wacker is a paid firefighter and it is something that us volunteers frown upon.Due to them always trying to run our calls.
    That was nice of you to contribute.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Me too, although I honestly feel guilty because they always thought they were being nice by giving them

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    That was nice of you to contribute.
    ROFLMFAO!!!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information