Forum Member

Default NFA Origin and Cause class

Hello all, I've been lurking for awhile but this is my first post. I am a municipal police detective in southern NYS. I recently obtained my NYS Fire Investigator Level I certificate. To obtain the second level, I am attending the NFA O&C class in December. I was just interested in any info anyone could provide regarding the class, i.e. papers that have to be written, intensity, etc. I have no clue what to expect, no one I know locally has ever gone there. I'm very motivated and excited to be going but would like some info if anyone has some. Thanks.
    "If you ain't got no choice, be brave." Joe Wimberly

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NYSFI39 View Post
    Hello all, I've been lurking for awhile but this is my first post. I am a municipal police detective in southern NYS. I recently obtained my NYS Fire Investigator Level I certificate. To obtain the second level, I am attending the NFA O&C class in December. I was just interested in any info anyone could provide regarding the class, i.e. papers that have to be written, intensity, etc. I have no clue what to expect, no one I know locally has ever gone there. I'm very motivated and excited to be going but would like some info if anyone has some. Thanks.
    I think that you will find this class to be presented in a professional learning atmosphere by highly competent instructors. There are some assignments, but nothing that would be considered heavy lifting. The intensity level is high, mainly because the students in the class tend to be, like yourself, highly motivated.

You will provide an interesting balance in the class during the practical exercises. FF are used to doing things in a hurry, while LEO are trained in a totally different manner for forensic work. You should be able to hold them back and teach them some valuable info when it comes to crime scene work. In addition, many FF don't like to talk formally to people. Your experience conducting interviews in varied situations will prove interesting when you are in the practical setting.

One recommendation, if you intend to bring your firearm, don't. They have a veru strict no weapons policy that, because they are a federal facility, overrides the state law. I do not believe there is any place to secure it if you were to bring it.

If you know who the instructors are, PM me and I will give you the scoop.

Good luck
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info George, I had actually PM'd you a few months back regarding the NJ class but got into this one now. I went through the firearms thing already, they do have some lockers that I'll have to use as I am staying off campus with a relative and will be driving a dept. car back and forth. I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for the dept. car but they were accomodating in that regard. I'll see if I can find out who the instructors are, thanks for the quick response.
    "If you ain't got no choice, be brave." Joe Wimberly

Thread Information