Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Funding for Public Safety Building

I am looking for funding for to build a new Fire Station / Public Safety building in Maine.

Community has population of 23,000.

Does anyone have any grant info for study,design or building of a new station?

Thank You,

MembersZone Subscriber

well we were lucky to have the worlds largest producing lumber stud world on hte world and there foundation (Ford Family Foundation) provided a good amount of portion and the the mill itself donated I think 75% of the lumber to build it. Start with finding a architec to help you design a station that has experience and he/she would be able to help you with estimates and such. Also look at USDA rural gov. loans. You have to pay it back but it is a chaep loan. Look for local foundations/grants. It's not easy and it is more work than you will imagine. Good luck and keep us posted.

MembersZone Subscriber

One more thing, my district who has a good budget and tax base started saving a chunk of money over a decade ago just for a station fund. It depends on your situation. It my districts case when we diseigned a building and went out to bid, we still had to take a USDA rural dev. loan and the payment was the same as the yearly amount we had been saving all along, so essentially it was a wash, oh and make sure you have a contigency fund. For example when the contractor was excavating for the new station they happen to come across a old in the ground fuel tank and had to hire a environmental clean up company to clean it all up, So before any bulding took place we had to cough up i think about $10K.

Default Thank You

All great info.

Keep it coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by aubfire64 View Post
    All great info.

Keep it coming!!
    aubfire64, you are not by any chance in Auburndale, Fl are you?
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

I think he said he was in Maine

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I think he said he was in Maine
    Yep, right you are. Since I am in Auburndale I just guessed without reading the whole post closely. Guess I need more Starbucks today. Thanks for answering that for me.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

May also want to look at a CDBG grant, we are working on it for our new station.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Probably won't qualify for Rural, population is 23k. USDA limit is 20k. HUD is probably the lone possibility in the federal realm.

Forum Member

Default local finacial institution

We got a very low interest loan when we bought a truck in 2002. I am almost positive it was less than 5% rate. Right here in Maine.

Talking

I would guess by the name & population that he is talking about Auburn Maine.

For design and architecture costs you might try the Libra Foundation in Portland Me. It was founded by the late Elizabeth Noyce, a wonderfully generous lady in supporting the State of Maine. They probably won't give money for the actual construction cost, but it might not hurt to ask. {http://www.librafoundation.org/ } They usually fund non profit organizations but you might get their attention for some assistance.

You can also talk to Chief Labbee in Brunswick as they just built a new station at Cooks corner a couple of years ago. Very nice functional design and excellent working layout. He could probably give some recent information on the process here in Maine.

Default Thank You

I appreciate all of the input I am following up on these suggestions.

Aubfire

Thread Information