Forum Member

Default Questions for Boston and MA FF's

Hey all,

I have been doing a lot of research, but could not find answers to a couple of my questions. I Just took the test in April, scored an 11, but I live in a non-civil service town. My question is will a fire dept. like Boston take a non resident who scored an 11 or a resident who scored lower than that? Either way, if I soon became a Boston resident, would it be a full year until I was recognized by the FD as one?

Also, what is the process like for switching the towns/cities that I had requested to be on their lists?

thank you in advance
    Impossible is Nothing.

Forum Member

If you're a non-resident AND a non-veteran, you're never going to get Boston anyway.

Even with the consent decree gone, guys like you- even with a 100 on the test- could potentially be behind 100 other people on the list.

In the consent decree days, you'd have had LESS than no chance, now you just have no chance.

Forum Member

You only get residence preference if you live there 1 Yr. prior to the exam. You dont get residence preference in the middle of the list. Also you change your dept picks online at the civil service site. Hopefully you have already signed up for the agility test, if no I believe you might have missed your chance.

Forum Member

So what I'm hearing is if I intend to get on with Boston I had better move there 1yr before the next test?
    Last edited by MTGillinois; 09-02-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: edit

Forum Member

Cool

lol...ya not getting it bro.....join the military first move to boston stay in shape stay outta trouble then apply to boston....there are residents applying that have lived there for years there are vets applying that have been in the marines, navy, air force doin time in war there are career firefighters that have been on in quincy cambridge massport guys that have years on the job applying people who know people are applying...its boston fire dept there full of tradition and dept pride...its in my mind harder to get on there then fdny or lafd

Forum Member

Yes thats correct, you need to live in the city 1yr prior to the exam. After the exam if you want to move out of the city you can, if you are hired then you must move back to the city. They also have a very legit background check and residency check.

Forum Member

I wish I could have had the good sense to have been born in Boston... What can I say... I make mistakes.

Thread Information