MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Aaahh ... Rick Can You Come Down To The Firehouse?

Ya sure. In about 10 minutes or so? Ummm... no Come down like... RIGHT NOW...... {that was a real conversation, with me at one end of it....with similar results to what is below. }

Firefighters Return To Find Station Ablaze
    Fire Station Closed On Weekends

POSTED: 2:30 pm EDT August 26, 2008
    UPDATED: 2:52 pm EDT August 26, 2008

De QUEEN, Ark. -- Firefighters were right on top of this blaze.

The De Queen fire station is closed on weekends, so when a call is received, the firefighters go to the station to get their gear before heading out.

But when they gathered at the station Saturday to answer a call about a burning utility pole, they discovered they had another problem on their hands.

"One of the firemen called me and said the place was full of smoke. I thought he was joshing me. He said 'We've got a fire at the fire station,'" De Queen Fire Marshal Dennis Pruitt said.

Firefighters called a dispatcher to get the Southwestern Electric Power Co. to disconnect the station's electrical service.

"We told them the fire department has a fire. SWEPCO said 'Yeah, the fire department has a fire.' The dispatcher told them, 'No, it's the fire station on fire!'" Pruitt said.

Authorities said the blaze was started by lightning.

Much of the station's equipment was saved by surge protectors, Pruitt said.

"We fuss and fuss at people to get surge protectors and they do work," Pruitt said.

The original call turned out to be a limb on top of a power line -- not a fire.

"We're fortunate we got the fire call. If it hadn't been for that call, there is no telling what would have happened to the building," Pruitt said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

Our little fire was caused by one of the wives putting boxes of potato chips etc on the stove, and it accidentally turned a burner on. No real flame damage, but lots and lots of smoke. OOOOPPPSSSS. But it did speed up the planned renovations a bit! Only difference between De Queen and Malahat is that we handled the problem "In House" without needing to call dispatch. We did telephone the Chief to let him know, however.

Forum Member

AWWWW Rick, you should have called Dispatch! We sit there, day after day, night after night, not knowing what is going on in your little world! We need someone to laugh at too!
    We can't goon you guys as much as we'd like to, so please, every once in a while, do something stupid so we can get a giggle out of it!!

Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

Forum Member

LMAO Thats funny Rick, Glad everything turned out ok for ya'll
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

i'm about to do research to find out how many firehouses have had fires in them....i know my hometown had about 3 stations that i know of that had fires, and my first fire house i worked at had one.

MembersZone Subscriber

i still laugh at this one. a single engine house near me (i swear its not mine) got toned out right about lunch time. about ten minutes later they ask dispatch to send a cruiser (pd) to their station. ten minutes later, we role on a mutual aid for a kitchen fire. guess where it was

Forum Member

jmark1217, include in your research...how many of those stations had ANY type of alarm system.

Unfortunately, you will be surprised on how high that number is.

Who preaches that smoke detectors save lives? and who has the lowest number of buildings with smoke detectors installed....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

One of our old Captains completed an inspection form and sent it to the bureau on his assisgned station. I think it would've cost about 10 large to come into compliance. Needless to say, it is still out of date.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    jmark1217, include in your research...how many of those stations had ANY type of alarm system.

Unfortunately, you will be surprised on how high that number is.

Who preaches that smoke detectors save lives? and who has the lowest number of buildings with smoke detectors installed....
    Thats what i've noticed as well. Our station has sprinklers but only 1 smoke detector, right inside the door to the sleeping quarters. Our public educator is TRYING to get us to the point that we tell people to be at in terms of placement and amount of smoke detectors, but we'll see. Hmmm, next time i'm in the station I'm going to test the smoke detector to see if it even works, or even has a battery...........

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

As I understand it, Burke VFD, 414 had a similar problem (10 yrs ago? maybe less) that "encouraged them" to build a new fire station. On the Home Front, Shawnigan Lake VFD had a generator fire at Station 2 about 6 years ago.

Forum Member

mhenrich, with sprinklers and that 1 head....you are lightyears ahead of many fire stations. Good job.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information