Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default LNG powered Trucks

I noticed that both Sterling (Model Set-Back 113) and Kenworth (Model T 800) have started production of LNG powered tractors designed for over the road use. They are utilizing motors with Westport Systems technology http://lngtrucks.westport.com/ in these trucks. In photos of these trucks there appears to be limited side impact protection for the LNG fuel cells. With the rising price of diesel fuel I could see these becoming a more attractive alternative for the trucking companies.

Has anyone found any related information or issues on these regarding emergency response procedures ?

Forum Member

I have not seen any thing yet, but I would suspect it to have some simularities to vehicles powered by LPG.The federal DOT must have some regulations on the cylinders including testing, it would just take time to find it. Right now the infrastructure is not in place for the wide spread use of vehicles powered by LNG. This may change if the fed's finally push for domestic use of an alternative natural fuel, only time will tell

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I have found the use of these vehicles primarily is concentrated on the west coast at this time. In cities such as San Diego they are being utilized as refuse trucks and Los Angles as port shuttle trucks.

Companies such as Walmart however are experimenting with adding them as fleet vehicles being ran out of terminals which will have LNG refueling stations installed.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/02...ng-lng-trucks/

Below is a link to the US DOE Alternative Fuels website that has an Alternative Fueling Station Locator. This identifies all types of alternative fueling stations currently in place aross the US.

http://eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/index.html

As State and Federal Incentives and Laws change I see these fuels becoming a more attractive alternative.

Right now there seems to be limited information available on Emergency Response procedures for these vehicles. Hopefully the truck manufacturers will release Emergency Response Guides similar to the Hybrid Vehicle Guides.

Thread Information