Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #26
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClariantERT View Post
    Robert I think what GT rider is trying to say is that once the propane drops below it's boiling point all you have left is liquid with little to no vapor off gassing..... The bottom of the tank (liquid level) usually ices up.

    By adding the water you raise the BP and increase vaporization (warms tank).....

    Ron Gore years ago taught us something about this .... He said it happens more then most people know, they usually stand back & let the tank vent.... The tank usually auto refrigerates, most responders don't recognize that fact, they assume the tank is now empty but in fact it's not....
    Thank you for saying what I was having trouble comming up with. That is the exact concept that I was describing.

    And Gore is the one who taught me about it as well. A group of us from here went down to Wellbourne for 4 days back in October for his Leak, Spill and Fire Control class at it was one of the most enlightening expiriences I have ever had. The man knows his stuff, and we did some things in that class that I never would have attempted before. Also one of the only classes I know of that uses live product for the training. I would reccommend it to anyone.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  2. #27
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Double post.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  3. #28
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Keystone Heights,Florida
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Thank you for saying what I was having trouble comming up with. That is the exact concept that I was describing.

    And Gore is the one who taught me about it as well. A group of us from here went down to Wellbourne for 4 days back in October for his Leak, Spill and Fire Control class at it was one of the most enlightening expiriences I have ever had. The man knows his stuff, and we did some things in that class that I never would have attempted before. Also one of the only classes I know of that uses live product for the training. I would reccommend it to anyone.
    Very knowledgeable guy….. Straight forward and to the point…. He has probably forgotten more then he knows. LOL..

    He has some disdain for a lot of agencies & departments in this area…. But if you go to one of his classes & keep your ears & eyes open and your mouth shut. You will come away with a LOT of useful knowledge….

  4. #29
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Getting back to the original topic, I think the first order of buisness would be beating the owner of the tank upside the head a few times with a haligan.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  5. #30
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClariantERT View Post
    Very knowledgeable guy….. Straight forward and to the point…. He has probably forgotten more then he knows. LOL..

    He has some disdain for a lot of agencies & departments in this area…. But if you go to one of his classes & keep your ears & eyes open and your mouth shut. You will come away with a LOT of useful knowledge….
    Well he pretty much wrote the book on it. So I just shut up and listened. Pretty much threw out 90% of the things were taught in ops and tech, as well as killed almost all our thoeries on decon.

    I did some things there I never thought possible. Drove a metal plug into a leaking LPG tank...replaced a leaking relief valve under pressure...flared LPG and then put out the fire we set...it was nuts.

    Awesome class though. Changed my veiw on hazmat all together.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  6. #31
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Keystone Heights,Florida
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Well he pretty much wrote the book on it. So I just shut up and listened. Pretty much threw out 90% of the things were taught in ops and tech, as well as killed almost all our thoeries on decon.

    I did some things there I never thought possible. Drove a metal plug into a leaking LPG tank...replaced a leaking relief valve under pressure...flared LPG and then put out the fire we set...it was nuts.

    Awesome class though. Changed my veiw on hazmat all together.
    Yea we did a lot of that as well......

  7. #32
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Ok... I see what your saying, thanks for the clarification. Same word, two different applications of the results

    I honestly don't agree that this would be an acceptable way to mitigate this particular tank (or any other) but hey, I'll keep it in the back of my head if the situation ever presents itself.

    Regardless, I'm going to check into that class. Can't train enough, especially in HAZMAT.

    Be safe, R2

  8. #33
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Keystone Heights,Florida
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robertr2m View Post
    Ok... I see what your saying, thanks for the clarification. Same word, two different applications of the results

    I honestly don't agree that this would be an acceptable way to mitigate this particular tank (or any other) but hey, I'll keep it in the back of my head if the situation ever presents itself.

    Regardless, I'm going to check into that class. Can't train enough, especially in HAZMAT.

    Be safe, R2
    LOL..... Thats okay.. Just don't ever tell Ron you don't agree...... Here's a link to his web site.

    http://www.safetysystems-rongore.com/index.html

  9. #34
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Sweet... thanks

    Be safe, R2

  10. #35
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robertr2m View Post
    I honestly don't agree that this would be an acceptable way to mitigate this particular tank (or any other) but hey, I'll keep it in the back of my head if the situation ever presents itself.
    Why not? What part isn't acceptable? In the ways mentioned, we let the tank vent until it is empty. WHo knows how long that will take. In the way I mentioned, the tank eventualy stops venting, much quicker.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  11. #36
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Why not? What part isn't acceptable? In the ways mentioned, we let the tank vent until it is empty. WHo knows how long that will take. In the way I mentioned, the tank eventualy stops venting, much quicker.
    After thinking a minute on this, I decided to take the approach...

    In the ways mentioned, we let the tank vent until it is empty. WHo knows how long that will take.
    You are mistaken or you didn't read all the posts. I recall one that reccomended rolling the tank to vapor space and rachet strap it stopping the leak. Others suggested plugs. Based on my training and experience, both of these stop the leak. I haven't "seen" this done, I have done it. For real, not a controlled training evolution. I know it works. Venting the tank to atmosphere was also an option but not an acceptable one in my opinion based on the facts given.

    You are correct in no one knows how long it will take to vent out completely but I could probably give you a pretty close estimate.

    In the way I mentioned, the tank eventualy stops venting, much quicker.
    How long will it take to AR?
    Have you actually worked the math on a tank that can potentially AR?
    Will this particular tank AR?

    Basically... Just how long is "eventually" and how do you know it will be "much quicker"?

    Bottom line and last question...

    Will it be quicker, safer and cause less enviromental effect to strap/plug it or AR it?

    And for the record, I disagree with your suggested method. I didn't say you where wrong, I said I felt it was an unacceptable method.

    Be safe, R2

  12. #37
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    I cannot give you the math on autorefrigeration. In fact, I can find very little information about it at all on the web. All I can tell you is that I have witnessed it, and it is very fast. Matter of minutes for the tank I saw it performed on. And once it is done, it is done. Time will depend on tank size, but since we already manualy rolled it to the vapor space, I dont see it taking very long.

    AR would not put anyone in harm's way. No personnel are involved. Enviro affects are propane gas leaking into the atmosphere for a few minutes. Since it is already leaking, I don't see this is a huge concern.

    Assuming the tank is AR capable, that is still the route I would take. I wish I could give more info on the process but I simply don't have it. All I know is that I have seen it, and it works. With this concept, seeing is doing, since there is no direct involvment. Anytime you take direct personnel involvment out of the equation, you just made things safer.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  13. #38
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I cannot give you the math on autorefrigeration. In fact, I can find very little information about it at all on the web. All I can tell you is that I have witnessed it, and it is very fast. Matter of minutes for the tank I saw it performed on. And once it is done, it is done. Time will depend on tank size, but since we already manualy rolled it to the vapor space, I dont see it taking very long.

    AR would not put anyone in harm's way. No personnel are involved. Enviro affects are propane gas leaking into the atmosphere for a few minutes. Since it is already leaking, I don't see this is a huge concern.

    Assuming the tank is AR capable, that is still the route I would take. I wish I could give more info on the process but I simply don't have it. All I know is that I have seen it, and it works. With this concept, seeing is doing, since there is no direct involvment. Anytime you take direct personnel involvment out of the equation, you just made things safer.
    I have Googled and Nexus (and asked around alot to some of the Haz guys around here) and all I came up with was a case study on a lawn crew that had hit the outlet to an unground tank (residential) and it briefly suggested AR. Although I have recently lost a whole lot of reference material (don't get me cryin about it), what I do have access to mentions it as something to be aware but that' it. No tactical advice, etc.

    Basically what I figure behind the math is that in order for propane to not boil, it has to stay below -40F. When the tank shell, the vapour space and the liquid all drops below -40F, it will stop boiling thus no vapor. The moment, the temp rises... it starts boiling again. Exactly what your saying, just thinking "out loud" here.

    At the facility I work in, we have 3 bullets, 2 of which are at least half full of propylene (which is pretty close to propane) and there would be no way I would even suggest we let it release til it AR's mainly because there is no hard data or industry standard to support the theory as we have both discovered Thinking back on a railcar that had a pretty good leak on the valving, the release did not stay constant and it was assumed (I know... real bad word) in the critique that the valve was the cause (for the leak and the changing release rates. It may have been AR induced although there was no icing present on the car (which could be explained by tank design in the shell).

    I don't doubt you for one second it can be done and you have seen it (which that is a class I am going to take, already lining up the funding). Although a few guys I talked with said it was essentially a "magic trick" to impress the students (which based on what good things said here about this instructor I'll leave that opinion to them and form my own) I do believe it's certainly worth looking deeper into. Being able to add another tool to the box is golden.

    I'm am going to shoot the variables to a math genius I know and see if he can put into equation form. If there is a workable equation, we may be able to predict at what point it will happen and then make the blocks/plugs/whatever's. I tried to work it and had to punch myself. Pump ops this ain't LOL.

    If either of us gets more info (or anyone else) let's start another thread on it. We kinda high-jacked this one

    Very good discussion!!!

    Be safe, R2

  14. #39
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Like you, I searched long and hard and could not come up with any solid info on AR. Most of the hazmat guys around here know some of the concepts, but have never had the chance to expirience it first hand.

    Im glad to hear that you are planning to take one of Gore's classes. It was easily the best hazmat expirience any of the 4 of us had ever had. I plan on going back as soon as I can.

    Like we mentioned before, the thing to remember is that he pretty much wrote the book. When they were doing things with Jacksonville's team in the 70's there was no book to follow. They were the first, so they did things by trial and error until they figured out what worked. They also figured out what didnt work.

    Going to the class will change your hazmat mindset forever. Gore is very adimant that most teams are too cautious and spend too much time deconing and not enough time fixing problems. He isnt real big on decon for most incidents, and the more you listen to him talk the more you realize we really do waste alot of time that could be better well spent.

    Good discussion indeed. I may email Gore myself and see if he could send me some info on this. Better yet I may have my class materials at home.

    Either way, new thread will be started. Sorry for the hijack.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  15. #40

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi all . I have 24 years of propane experience and the last 8 years I owned my own propane company. The autorefigeration does slow the vaporization down but it never stops. If there is an open hole in a tank, then there is gas coming out- unless the temp is -44. The faster vapor can boil off, the cooler it will get. You ever put rubbing alcohol on your hand and feel the cool? Same thing. It is vaporizing off. The propane vapor will eventually cool off enough it will slow way down. If you have no way to cap the tank -wood dowels and a brass hammer work great- then it will continue to spew vapor-however slow. If you think its over once it slows you are in trouble. Things that make it flare back up could include wind on the tank, rain, sprinklers, ect. If the container heats up the vaporization rate will increase. Ultimately, the container has to be plugged or taken somewhere safe and evacuated.
    Last edited by Vande250; 02-25-2009 at 01:11 AM.

  16. #41
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Thanks for jumping in Vande... any thoughts on where we could get more information on AR for tactical use? Does the industry have any literature or tactics they reccomend concerning the AR we are missing?

    Thanks !!!

    Be safe, R2

  17. #42

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default Leaking LPG

    Gents,

    You all bring up good points. I recall an article in Fire Engineering a while back where a tarp was used to cover a CLG bobtail and assisted in AR. (Tarp the Tank) I have included a link to the article.

    http://dev.fireengineering.com/artic...ticle_tool_bar

    Spinner

  18. #43

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by robertr2m View Post
    Thanks for jumping in Vande... any thoughts on where we could get more information on AR for tactical use? Does the industry have any literature or tactics they reccomend concerning the AR we are missing?

    Thanks !!!

    Be safe, R2
    You brought up some good points but keep in mind that the water that you are pumping into the tank will be warmer that the LGP inside and make it boil off, raising the temperature and pressure. This may activate the PRV.

    I recall an article in Fire Engineering referring "Tarping the tank" in just such a case. It may be worth looking into.

    Just a crazy thought, but what about having the LP company or a HM contractor come out and flare the tank off?

    Just my two cents...


    SpinnerV.

  19. #44

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default what should i do

    what should be done if your boss is askin you to punch holes in propane tanks to let the propane out so they can shred the canisters?

  20. #45
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mybarney2005 View Post
    what should be done if your boss is askin you to punch holes in propane tanks to let the propane out so they can shred the canisters?
    Why do they have to have holes to be shredded?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. propane tank exploseion
    By adam18 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 12:49 AM
  2. Panama City Fla--Propane Tank Explodes
    By captstanm1 in forum Fire Wire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 04:25 PM
  3. Propane tank training
    By Keith Richey in forum Hazardous Materials General Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2001, 08:16 PM
  4. lightening vs propane tank
    By Kyle Wickman in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2001, 07:08 PM
  5. 100# Propane Tank Hazard
    By Joe Gilbert in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2000, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register